Honda Odyssey Forum banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Is your tire rubbing on the wheel well liner? Mine does that turning left.
Not that I can see........I have checked both wheels.
The noise I very metallic sounding. Like gears

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
if it is your traction control causing the noise, you should see the light show up on your dash while you hear the noise. every time the traction control engages, the light will also illuminate on the dash.
I will take a look tomorrow. Have not been noticing.
Honestly, I'm stumped.
I'm thinking getting it up on a hoist might be a good idea.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
^^ Right on that one. Every time I used to exit freeway with ramp towards left, my traction light used to come on. I forgot what John Clark had said but its true. Maybe it was Airbags uneven pressure and weight or something. The light is quick though comes and goes. Gotta pay attention and its probably repeatable.

Reactions: white2015

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hears a wild question out of left field.
I don’t know how the traction control works on the 2017s but is it possible that it’s trying to apply brakes to one or several wheels through the brake antilock system? I’ve seen suvs that work that way but I have no idea what that would sound like when in action.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Hondas traction control uses the ABS system to brake or apply load to spinning wheels. It’s not a great system but works. While it’s active you will hear the ABS system pulsating the brakes. It’s loud and mechanical sounding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
And that is when we used to notice the triangle illuminate and then go away. Its quick. So if dont notice, its gone.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
It's -30c here today - - I have not gone for a drive to try it out.
Thanks for the tips guys....
Honestly I am thinking its something related to traction, or not having it.
I could not get the van to make the noise on dry pavement.
I thought perhaps the noise was related to one tire having traction and the other not, with the wheels turned to their extreme angle <right>. Causing the noise I am hearing on the left side only.

I have only had the van for a few months, first winter with it, so I don't have any past experience with winter driving in the Ody.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
You are right. That is how it happened and I asked because of that. Mine was turning on ramp that goes towards left only (can replicate on demand once you know the trigger). Not one that turns to right. So it will appear as one-sided but traction control detects that.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Update....
So it's-18 celcius out ambient.
And the grind is back, on dry pavement now.
Must be the dang cv and axle. Drivers side.
Seems to be worse when very cold. Won't grind on dry roads when the temp is around -8c or above.

Very odd.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Update....
So it's-18 celcius out ambient.
And the grind is back, on dry pavement now.
Must be the dang cv and axle. Drivers side.
Seems to be worse when very cold. Won't grind on dry roads when the temp is around -8c or above.

Very odd.
My axles started making noises while turning when the car was fairly new (32k miles). I had the problem documented by the dealer, but they didn’t see the problem as important. When a Honda mechani did a test drive, he immediately knew it was the CV joints, but it was past 38k miles my then. Honda paid for the replacement since I had the issue documented at the beginning. The replacement axle joints are making noise again at 83k miles!!
I had a bearing noise, similar to your noise, that I was sure was the front passenger side going bad. After replacing both front bearings, I discovered that it was the rear left bearing making the noise! Fortunately, the bearings are straightforward to replace, and I have all 4 new bearings.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
My axles started making noises while turning when the car was fairly new (32k miles). I had the problem documented by the dealer, but they didn’t see the problem as important. When a Honda mechani did a test drive, he immediately knew it was the CV joints, but it was past 38k miles my then. Honda paid for the replacement since I had the issue documented at the beginning. The replacement axle joints are making noise again at 83k miles!!
I had a bearing noise, similar to your noise, that I was sure was the front passenger side going bad. After replacing both front bearings, I discovered that it was the rear left bearing making the noise! Fortunately, the bearings are straightforward to replace, and I have all 4 new bearings.
Thanks for sharing.
I think my cv is starting to go, and the very cold weather is making it more noticeable.

Oh well, more parts.
I think I will try replacing it myself in the spring and having my garage change out the passenger side as well.

They certainly don't make em like they used to.

·
Registered
111 Posts
When I removed my wheels to PB Blast the bleeder screws a week ago (future brake bleed job coming up) and discovered my passenger side axle busted and is leaking grease everywhere. I'm not even going to try to save it by re-booting it but will rather just replace the entire unit.

Not trying to hijack the thread but yeah, it seems like they are very prone to go out on the Odyssey's.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts