Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
i just had this happen. D light had been flickering now and then and suddenly nothing at all. figured it just burnt out.
Gave a modest rap on the dash board with my hand and it came back on.,, loose bulb.

·
Registered
3 Posts
it's a bad bulb, happen to me also. Got the bulb from the dealer and cost $9. You have to dissemble the instrument panel and remove the Fuel & water temp gauge to replace it. took me about an hour for the job.

·
Registered
523 Posts
yup, i will put this on the back burner for know till the "manual adjutment" fails:)

·
Registered
565 Posts
Just to provide additional info, my ’03 EX has traveled over 217 K miles so when the green “D” light quit over a year ago, I wrote it off as being burned out after so many miles of glowing…

About a month ago it started working again and hasn’t gone out since…

·
Registered
523 Posts
I finally found out how to change out the gear indicator lamps.
1. Follow D119829's instructions above to take the instrument cluster out.
2. Once out take off lens cover, visor assembly (held in with tabs), and the black overlay.
3. Flip the cluster over and take off the white cover, held in with tabs.
4. You need to take out the temp, gas level and gear indicator section on the cluster.
5. If you look on the circuit board where the temp, gas level and gear indicator are located you will see 4 bent silver tabs. With pliers bend these tabs up, and gently push on the tabs. The temp, gas level and gear indicator section will pop out. You will then be able to see the gear indicator lights.
6. Gently pull the circuit board down and with needle nose pliers you will be able to pull the light out. Note how the orientation of the light, so you know how to put the new one in. I think it has to be installed a certain way.
7. Gently push the light in with the needle nose pliers or a small screw driver.
8. Gently push in the temp, gas level and gear indicator section back in. Make sure it is in all the way and bend back the 4 silver tabs.
9. Put everything back in the reverse order.

You might want to pick up the bulb before doing this. The part number is 78181-SS0-003. Hope this helps, sorry I did not have my camera when I did this. Any questions let me know.
this section is great for how to change out the bulb, but it needs a couple of refinements; please don't presume that once you get the temp and fuel gage off the board that you now have access to the bulbs.
At step 4, this is important, you need to remove the tach and speedo sections of the cluster as well as the fuel, temp cluster. pry the little silver tabs (two per gage ) on the back of the circuit board and carefully push the gage out of its socket from the back(do not try to pull the gage from the front). you now need to remove the circuit board from the white plastic housing. in the middle of the card there is a white plastic tab that holds the card, gently pry it and the card will release.
you now have access to the other side of the card and the bulbs..
you will see that the bulbs is housed in a small black recepticals. these recepticals can be removed from the board. do not try to remove the bulb from the receptical.
these recepticals mount on two pins on the circuit card. gently lift the receptical off the pins (straight up) and install new bulb and receptical assembly back onto the pins.
in my case, i just swapped the 1st gear bulb to the D bulb position (fixed).
reverse all the steps and put it back in the dash board. when reinstalling the gages to the card, becareful bending the tabs back into place. don't scratch the printed circuitry.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Just noticed the "D" light out on my 2003 w/170k on orig tranny and had all kind of bad thoughts go thru my mind. Then I read a few threads like this and rapped on the dash a couple of times and it came back on. The question now is how long will it stay on. I'll update later if I have to pull the dash apart to put one little light in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Turn the ignition switch ON (II), and watch the D indicator. If the indicator comes on for about 2 seconds and then goes off, it’s OK. If it doesn’t come on at all, change the bulb or troubleshoot the circuit.
Hi dear,
I have ody 11 and I have the same issue but the bulb comes on as you say
So your advice to troubleshoot the circuit
What can I do exactly
Thanx

·
Registered
50 Posts
Oddly, mine just developed same symptoms (all gear indicators work except D) This occurred immediately after disassembly and reassembly of dashboard to remove the check engine light. Clock lamp also died same time.

Dave K
Any one know how often this happens? I opened up the dash to replace the cluster bulbs with led's (only). Now my Park and D4 bulbs are out. Strange thing is after I saw this, I took the cluster even further apart to get to these bulbs, pulled the park bulb out and put 12 volts to it and it worked! What the heck! Any advice? All the other selector bulbs work. Trans works fine. I did recently change the trans fluid and clean out the tiny filters in the front facing trans solenoid (under the air cleaner... not sure what that trans solenoid is for). Like I said though, trans works fine otherwise.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts