Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2002 Odyssey dash lights went out. Warning lights all work. Speedo light, tach and fuel lights do not. Replaced bulbs. ALL Fuses are fine. Now the speedo itself stopped, What gives??? I work nightshift and need my lights. Any help? (Hard to believe nobody has an answer).

·
Registered
816 Posts
Loose connection? Since you had the gauges out to replace the bulbs, take it out again and unplug/replug the connectors a couple times.
Did you try turning the knob that controls the brightness?

·
Registered
816 Posts
Did you try unplugging/replugging the connectors? Oxidation can build up and cause a connection to not connect. Replugging can clean off those connections. I'd twist the brightness knob back and forth too.
By chance, did you upgrade to led bulbs? Then take out those 'out' bulbs and reinstall after rotating 180 degrees to fix polarity.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Harnesses were never disconnected. I pulled the dash cluster out enough to swap the bulbs without doing so. Both bulbs were blown. The instrument light fuse was blown as well. Replaced it and still nothing.

·
Registered
816 Posts
If bulbs and fuse were blown and replaced, and now they are blown again- looks like there's a short somewhere in the circuit!
Any sign of possible water infiltration that could cause a short- is the carpet by both footwells dry?

·
Registered
11,887 Posts
Relays rarely "short" out. Their job is to "short" a circuit and make it work. If you have a fuse that's blowing you have a wiring, fuse box, or gauge cluster issue. Does the fuse blow if you unplug the cluster?

·
Registered
816 Posts
You didn't mention this earlier:
I installed a new stereo in my 2002. Few days later, my speedo, tach and DRL all went out. Replaced bulbs and fuse, no other fuses are blown, and all other lights work fine, as does the stereo. I'm stumped. Any ideas???
Maybe when you inserted the head unit, some wires may have gotten crushed causing a short?

I come across this often in tech troubleshooting- my computer don't work no more! What was the last thing that was changed?

·
Registered
11,887 Posts
Yeah, that would be good info to know. Aftermaket junk is the first place to look for electrical issues.

Good catch, kernel!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's better than the factory unit, which rarely worked anyways. But what am I missing? It shouldn't have blown anything, since it's a direct swap.

·
Registered
11,887 Posts
Better means nothing. It's not factory equipment and, as such, is always highly suspect. You need to narrow down what might be blowing the fuse. Disconnect it and see if the fuse still blows. That will answer the question.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fuse hasn't blown again since replaced 3 days ago, but still can't get lights to work. Even pulled the stereo and rechecked bulbs. Bulbs aren't blown.

·
Registered
11,887 Posts
So, everything is controlled by the drivers Multiplex Control Unit (MCU.) The fuse #13 in the passenger side fuse box feeds the drivers MCU for power for the dash lights. The brightness controller is merely a switch input to the gauge cluster so all it does is send a signal to the MCU--it doesn't carry any of the dash lights current.

To track this down you will need to do some pinpoint testing at the MCU. Pins A6 and A20 are the dash light circuit coming out of the MCU. Pin A6 is powered from the tail light relay which is fed power from the #10 fuse in the passengers under dash relay box. Then I can only assume pin A20 on the MCU provides the variable ground for dimming.

I'd start with checking those fuses 10 and 13 and if that doesn't resolve it you'll need to gain access to the drivers MCU for testing to see where and what is being lost.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
  1. Here's where I'm at. Ripped stereo out again, and there is about 5-6" of clearance. It's NOT touching anything at all. Not even close, and no wires are cramped at all. Plenty if space. Pulled dash cluster again, and new bulbs are still intact. Checked fuses. All intact. Now, I've done 100+ stereo systems over the years (I'm 51) and never had issues. The MCU kinda intimidates me because I've never dealt with them. So, is it easy to just replace? Or am I better off pulling the existing one and fixing it? I may not have to correct tools.

·
Registered
11,887 Posts
Did you check the two fuses I mentioned?

If they're both good then you will need to get behind it, find the pins that are for the dash lights and test.

To me, this sounds like it was either caused by someone damaging something during install of aftermarket equipment or water intrusion. It could be anything, of course, but any time I see aftermarket equipment anything is possible.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts