Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is the wiring harness in place for dash speakers on a lx? on previous ford aerostars i have owned the harness was already in place regardless of trim level.
i would like to install speakers but, it would help to know how much work i am in for.

------------------
2000 lx,fern grey,remote starter,honda single disc cd player,honda roof rack with cross rails,honda bra, hidden hitch,csa 5 spoke alloy wheels,15% film over oem privacy glass

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also, can anyone tell me what size the speakers in the dash are on the ex model?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by fordsdad:
also, can anyone tell me what size the speakers in the dash are on the ex model?</font>
One inch tweeters work fine.

It's very easy to pop out one of the dash grilles to take a look and it might make you a little more comfortable about making the changes. You would also be able to find out wether the tweeter wiring exists.

------------------
Chuck

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by fordsdad:
is the wiring harness in place for dash speakers on a lx? on previous ford aerostars i have owned the harness was already in place regardless of trim level.</font>
I'm almost 100% sure they wouldn't go to the trouble of having two wiring harnesses.

Then again, there might be a harness subassembly for the tweeters that plugs into the main harness, but I seriously doubt it.

I'll be getting my FSM soon and I'll be able to check then. I have an EX, which does us no good.

Caviller, have you looked underneath your tweeter grills yet?

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Didn't even know I had dash speaker grilles:) I'll take a look this week. Wiring and harness aren't the only issue, though. There also has to be a crossover somewhere to keep low frequencies from the tweeter, and cut off highs from the full range in the door. I suspect Honda probably just uses a small capacitor in series with the dash tweeter (or it's built into the tweeter). Not too hard to do it yourself. This is probably necessary not only for sound quality, but also to prevent damage to the tweeter. Would be interesting to know if there's a small capacitor on the EX tweeters somewhere, and the value printed on it.

[This message has been edited by caviller (edited 02-19-2001).]

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by caviller:
Didn't even know I had dash speaker grilles:) I'll take a look this week. Wiring and harness aren't the only issue, though. There also has to be a crossover somewhere to keep low frequencies from the tweeter, and cut off highs from the full range in the door. I suspect Honda probably just uses a small capacitor in series with the dash tweeter (or it's built into the tweeter). Not too hard to do it yourself. This is probably necessary not only for sound quality, but also to prevent damage to the tweeter. Would be interesting to know if there's a small capacitor on the EX tweeters somewhere, and the value printed on it.

[This message has been edited by caviller (edited 02-19-2001).]
</font>

Yes, there's a cap on the EX tweeters, but there's no value printed on it (I'm looking at one in my hand right now).

Here's a pic from the Yahoo club gallery that shows a recommended replacement for the cap to supposedly improve the sound in pre-2001 EXs. It also shows the stock cap. http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/hondaodysseyownersclub

------------------
Chuck

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the honda manual shows that the harness is there.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i just removed the tweeter covers on the dash and, i could not find a harness to plug into. i guess i will have to buy component speakers and wire them up myself.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I notice there is a lot of discussion about the quality of sound/speakers that are OEM. Did Honda do anything on the 2001 models to rectify this and is there adifference between the location/number of speakers/quality of sound between the LX and the EX?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
as far as i know, a speaker upgrade did take place in 2001. also, the ex has six speakers (back, doors and tweeters in dash) as opposed to the lx with only the back and door speakers.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The factory tweeter harness is probably in the dash somewhere. Look a little deeper, you may have to use a mirror and flashlight to find them. Honda usually tucks the harness plug away and tapes them off with electrical tape. Accords and Civics have always had the all speakers prewired since the stereo was a dealer installed option. Anyone know if this is true for the Odyssey too?

The EX tweeters are cheap and have a small capacitor on them but I believe the frequency cutoff point is a little too high. The tweeter's output was almost inaudible unless you put your ear near the corners and listened for them. I changed the capacitors with some from an old Infinity component system. The Tweeters sound much better though I am still powering them with the stock radio, 6 watts on a good day probably.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I just swiped a pic of an EX tweeter with a replacement cap to achieve the above effect and put it in my album at:
http://www.fototime.com/inv/E5EF2F60BF78337

It was taken and originally posted by rookiejag12 on the Yahoo Ody forum.

------------------
Chuck

·
Registered
52 Posts
Chuck,
You can have that photo, I can always take more pictures. Yep it's me aka rookiejag12, I shortened my name for this forum.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rook:
Chuck,
You can have that photo, I can always take more pictures. Yep it's me aka rookiejag12, I shortened my name for this forum.
</font>
Whew... I'm glad I gave credit for it and didn't try to pass it off as my own!

------------------
Chuck

·
Registered
11 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
The EX tweeters are cheap and have a small capacitor on them but I believe the frequency cutoff point is a little too high. The tweeter's output was almost inaudible unless you put your ear near the corners and listened for them. I changed the capacitors with some from an old Infinity component system. The Tweeters sound much better though I am still powering them with the stock radio, 6 watts on a good day probably.</font>
Rook, you may want to try what is known as a 2nd order crossover on the dash tweeter. Effectively, you can lower the crossover frequency but still protect the tweeter from being damaged by lower frequencies. There is plenty on the web about building crossovers and the parts are very available at places like parts-expres.com and madisound.com. I plan to do something like this with my EX but have not had the time yet. By just changing the existing cap you do risk damage to the tweeter and a very big increase in distortion. Reply back if you would like more info on how to do this.

Adobeman
'01 GG EX

·
Registered
52 Posts
Adobeman,
Thanks for your suggestion on 2nd order crossovers. The cap swap that I've done is doing the job just fine for now. I don't notice any more distortion coming through and if they blow, it'll give me a reason to replace them with some better tweeters. Thanks again adobeman.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Rook,
What value did you use for the cap ? 'cause I also think they are crossed a little high for my taste.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I don't notice any more distortion coming through and if they blow, it'll give me a reason to replace them with some better tweeters. </font>
Ah... the old "Reason Rationalization Technique" I use that method too but remember things last too long these days and life is short. Treat yourself if it is what you want ! Besides, my gut tells me if your into swapping caps on speakers you probably have some other "project" you use the OEM Ody tweeters in.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Adobeman,
The caps I used actually came out of an extra set of Infinity seperates I once owned. Their value is 6 microfarads and I still don't know what the actual cut off frequency is but they sound good to me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts