Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OUr 2011 Odyssey has a dashboard thermometer that seems to be off by as much as 8-9 degrees. Our dealer spent several hours calibrating it to the local weather station, but it still will show 91 degrees when it is 100 or more.
OUr 2003 Toyota Matrix had one that was quick and accurate so I know they are available.
Anyone familiar with this issue and possible solutions?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
OUr 2011 Odyssey has a dashboard thermometer that seems to be off by as much as 8-9 degrees. Our dealer spent several hours calibrating it to the local weather station, but it still will show 91 degrees when it is 100 or more.
OUr 2003 Toyota Matrix had one that was quick and accurate so I know they are available.
Anyone familiar with this issue and possible solutions?
I have a similar problem, but only in cold temperatures.

here's my thread:
outside-temperature-sensor-not-accurate

·
Registered
161 Posts
I too have posted about this issue. Seems like Honda put their sensor in a bad spot on the van, so when it is sitting, it heats up.

·
Banned
728 Posts
I too have posted about this issue. Seems like Honda put their sensor in a bad spot on the van, so when it is sitting, it heats up.
The OP says his reads low - 91 when it is 100 outside. Ours reads 4 - 5 degrees celcius high, whether we are moving or sitting still. My wife's 2003 Accord isn't accurate either. I don't think Honda makes this device well and we don't bother looking at ours.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The owners manual gives instructions on how to adjust the thermometer +/- 5 degrees if you want. I don't have the instructions on me, but hopefully yours is not already maxed out?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
The owners manual gives instructions on how to adjust the thermometer +/- 5 degrees if you want. I don't have the instructions on me, but hopefully yours is not already maxed out?
the problem with ours is that sometimes it is very accurate, and sometimes it's 7-8 degrees off.

the one on my Acura is very accurate, so not sure what's so difficult to get it right with the Odyssey.

·
Registered
86 Posts
the problem with ours is that sometimes it is very accurate, and sometimes it's 7-8 degrees off.

the one on my Acura is very accurate, so not sure what's so difficult to get it right with the Odyssey.
Yup, same with mine. Guess Honda expects us to stick our hand out the window.:mad:

·
Registered
7 Posts
My Chevy Suburban was dead on every time. My '11 Odyssey consistently reads high, but sometimes by a degree or two. Sometimes by much more.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
It appears this could be a software issue. I noticed that when I drove the van in the morning the cooler temps showed proper numbers. Later in the day when I drive it will read abnormally low. This mainly happens when the temperature has climbed rapidly (went from about 78 to 105 in a few hours) . When I went to move the van the thermometer read 91. Almost 15 degrees off. It took about 20 minutes for the temperature to eventually climb and read correctly. I bet they are doing some software averaging of the numbers so you don't see the temperature jump up and down quickly. I do the same thing with designs I work with. It's a common way to filter and average readings with electronics (Yes I am an engineer). If the actual temp sensing unit were bad I doubt that the eventual good readings would show up. I'm holding out hope that a software fix may be available. In the mean time I've noticed that the temperature has been reporting correctly lately and the outside temperature is not fluctuating as rapidly or as large a span! Perhaps this is contributing.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
As I thought:

Originally posted by zio
I took my 05 EX-L to the dealership last summer to check on the sensitivity of the outside temp gauge and I learned about the logic behind its operation. The tech tested the gauge to be normal and gave me a copy of the related page of his shop manual. Basically the temp sensor (located behind the center of the front bumper) can be affected by other abnormal heat sources and show abnormal fluctuating outside temperatures. Therefore there is a logic written into the temp indicator to prevent unrealistic air temperatures to show up (for example, a car parked in hot sun for 2 hours might show air temperature of 45 degree celsius when it is actually 25 from weather station).
If the engine coolant is 140 F. (60 C.) or higher when the ignition is turned on, it will only show the air temperature when you last turn off the key. If it is below 139 F. then the current outside air temp will be indicated. It also has some logics on how it updates the reading to prevent unwanted fluctuations - it is an interesting read. I have attached the page below for easy reference.

Now that I have a full understanding of the inner working, I feel that the gauge is pretty accurate usually within 1 degree from the radio weather report. You just have to let it update itself.

So it looks like it's been around for a while. Honda obviously knows about this but didn't seem to think it was worthy of changing. Looks like there is an official Honda TSB on this.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I doubt mine is related to that averaging thing you mentioned.

Ours was reading 8 degrees high in cold temps even after a 8 hour drive to Atlanta.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts