Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished hard-wiring my dashcam and thought I'd post a how-to for anyone interested. I did this on my EX-L. You'll need a dashcam, short USB cable, 12v to 5v USB converter, a way to connect wires (I used Quick Splice Solderless Terminals), a phillips screwdriver, and a plastic knife.

Start by removing the overhead console. There are two screws behind the sunglasses holder and two behind the map-light covers. Removing the map light covers is a little tricky. You'll need the plastic knife or some other similar flat object for that. He're a video (not mine) on how to remove these.
After the screws are removed, you'll need to disconnect any wiring connectors (EX-L has 3) by pushing the tab on the connector and pulling them apart. Set the overhead console to the side.

Now find the teal wire. This is the only wire I could find that is 12v switched power. It may not exist on lower trim levels because it runs to the rear-view mirror for either the garage door buttons or the auto-dimming feature. Connect the USB converter's red wire to this teal wire using a solderless terminal. Attach the black wire to any of the black wires running to the grounding wire in the center of the console opening.

Next step is to plug in the USB wire to the converter and then push the other end through the front of the headliner up against the windshield. Then connect it to your dashcam. Tuck the converter and extra wiring into the headliner, put the overhead console back in, to include connecting the wiring connectors, and you are done.

Enjoy!

IMG_20180116_183404.jpg IMG_20180116_183234.jpg IMG_20180116_183249.jpg

·
Registered
323 Posts
Great post and information. I've tried unsuccessfully to get wires to work on the rear view mirror inputs and was going to wave the white flag and begrudgingly run a wire down the side of the vehicle to the fuse box, but this would be a much cleaner install.

I'm going to try it with a hard wire dash cam kit from Amazon that comes with a mini USB port and a 12V to 5 V converter. I'll have to order more Posi-Taps to get into the wires as well. Will report back on how I manage in a few days!

·
Registered
15 Posts
From the Owners Manual page 562 in reference to the front camera:

Do not place an object on the top of the instrument panel. It may reflect onto the windshield and prevent the system from detecting lane lines properly.

I haven’t installed my GoPro yet I’m wondering if that is going to cause problems?!

·
Registered
20 Posts
From the Owners Manual page 562 in reference to the front camera:

Do not place an object on the top of the instrument panel. It may reflect onto the windshield and prevent the system from detecting lane lines properly.

I haven’t installed my GoPro yet I’m wondering if that is going to cause problems?!
GoPros do not make good dash cams at all.

·
Registered
323 Posts
wwswei0 can't thank you enough for this post and finally helping me get a dash cam installed cleanly.

Here's what I used and the links to Amazon:
4K Dash Cam
Posi-Tap connectors (20-22 awg)
Hard wire kit

I had four connections to pop out. I also had to remove some of the electrical tape to free up enough of the teal wire. This hard wire kit comes with free wires on both ends, another option is to get one with a C as ground, unscrew the bolt and slip the C under the bottom.

View attachment 128345
View attachment 128337
View attachment 128353
View attachment 128361
View attachment 128369

·
Registered
1 Posts
I made an account just to say this thread helped me immensely, thanks! However, how did you ( wwswei0 ) figure out the teal wire would be on off with the car? Did you cut into each wire until you found one that would work?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm glad this post helped several people. I really wonder when cars will start coming with dash-cams build in or a USB plug in the overhead console to make this easier.

I made an account just to say this thread helped me immensely, thanks! However, how did you ( wwswei0 ) figure out the teal wire would be on off with the car? Did you cut into each wire until you found one that would work?
You are welcome. And no, I just found the end of it where it goes into the back of the rear view mirror and tested it with a voltmeter in both on and off ignition.

When you say, TEAL Wire is it teal color wire you mean?
No, TEAL stands for Total Electric Automatic Lighting. Ha, no I'm kidding; yes, it's the light teal colored wire. I thought it was more visible in the photos I posted, but it's hidden by the wire bundle wrapping. Hope it works for you. Good luck!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks when I pick up my Odyssey, will definitely follow this. Was just wondering anyone have information on installing the 2nd channel camera for the back, especially hiding the wires allong the top and have it cleaned installed with the wires hidden like the wires hidden for the tailgate.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Also a question, currently I run a wire all the way down to my fuse box in a Mazda3 so I was thinking of instead splicing to just run the wire down the A pillar. was just wondering where the fuse box is located? Rather not splice, especially if it's a lease.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I’m trying to install the dash cam with a hardwire kit but I can’t find a metal bolt that I can ground it, anyone recommend a place or even have a picture where you grounded it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Jeff146

I just finished hardwiring a Thinkware F800Pro in my Elite van and used #33 in the interior fuse box A located under the driver side dash. #33 only powers on when the vehicle is started (note: #33 was not used as there was no existing fuse connected, also confirmed this by checking the manual.) I simply utilized and add-a-fuse. For the ground I used one of the metal bolts just above the brake petal.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Jeff146

I just finished hardwiring a Thinkware F800Pro in my Elite van and used #33 in the interior fuse box A located under the driver side dash. #33 only powers on when the vehicle is started (note: #33 was not used as there was no existing fuse connected, also confirmed this by checking the manual.) I simply utilized and add-a-fuse. For the ground I used one of the metal bolts just above the brake petal.
Oh ok it looked there are was a rubber around the bolt, would you be able to post a picture of where you grounded it?

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
15 Posts
Oh ok it looked there are was a rubber around the bolt, would you be able to post a picture of where you grounded it?

Thanks,
Jeff

IMG_3195.JPG IMG_3194.JPG

Hopefully these photos will help, it was actually the bolts to the left of the brake pedal.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Jeff146

Just curious; why would you run a wire all the way down to the fuse box when there is a wire in the overhead that does exactly what you want (hot when ignition on)?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just curious; why would you run a wire all the way down to the fuse box when there is a wire in the overhead that does exactly what you want (hot when ignition on)?
Because it's a lease so rather not splice and just add an addon fuse so that I can easily remove it if I have to.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts