Honda Odyssey Forum banner

41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I soldered header pins to slide into the rear view mirror wire harness. Had worked great so far and no need to route all the way to the fuse box.
bought this with wire-taps already ready.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BFRWC3X/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

worked well. I do need to secure the wire since it's a bit loose.

also the pins/taps bent easily when I poked them in and the angle is hard to work with unless you can unplug the whole connector.

I stuck the dashcam closer to the driver side since this wire wasn't very long.

Anyone has any idea what is on the back of the auto-dimming mirror? is it just the day/night sensors? I am pretty sure lane departure sensors etc are in the "H" logo in the grill.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Installed my old a118c in my new 2019 Odyssey today.

With the help of this thread I’ve managed a tooless 15 minute install. I’m using my dash cam with a 12v to mini USB cable. The 12v end only has a black and a red connection.

I adhered my camera to the right of the Honda camera plastic cover/shroud. I ran the cables up and pushed them in between the plastic cover and the headliner. I removed the slim plastic strip above the rear view mirror arm with the help of the following instructions intended for rear view replacement:

https://www.bernardiparts.com/Honda-Auto-Day-Night-Mirror-Odyssey__76400-THR-A01.aspx

Then stuffed all the excess dash cam cables in that void. I put the plastic piece back in with just enough cable hanging out to push the red/black wires of my 12v to mini usb cable straight into the last two lines on the back of the rear view. I was able to shove the wire ends (they had been soldered from the factory so were stiff) down into the connector area that there felt secure enough.

It was super easy and left almost zero exposed cable. I actually installed a GPS sensor for the camera at the same time. The wire for it also goes up between the plastic cover and the headliner. All the excess cable is shoved in the same void. The dongle “head” is then adhered to the back driver side of the rear view. It’s also invisible from within the car.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I did this today, thanks for the write-up. The only issue I've run into, which I have yet to determine if its an actual issue, is my Garmin Dash Cam 55 sprouts up an error message saying something about my cable can't adequately charge the dash cam and to use the original USB cable. It is getting power though, and turns on/off with ignition. Maybe it's less power than the OEM charger, but I'm hoping its enough to keep it topped off, especially once the screen shuts off. I'm going to give it a couple days and see how it does.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks. I was able to install mine today but couldn't connect the power & ACC cables as I had a wrong size add a fuse kit.

I spent the most time running a cable to the rear.
Do you have any tips for running the cable to the rear cam? Did you use the headliner or ran under the carpet? Any interference with the curtain airbags?

·
Registered
10 Posts
did anyone use the teal wire on the white clip next to the left light or is it the teal wire in the pack with the rest? I did test the wire in the white clip and its only hot when the car is on

·
Registered
323 Posts
It's the teal wire in the pack with the rest. I had to remove from electrical tape from the factory to pull out a portion of the wire so I could attach to it.

Mine's been running fine since my last post in this thread--no issues with the posi-tap and it's reversible--just remove the tap. There will be the tiniest dot from the tap in the wire but nothing that would be noticeable.

I run the same set-up in my other vehicle and had intermittent issues with the camera--ended up being a bad wire not tap.

I have my V1 wired into the back of the rear view mirror (and clamped under the rear view mirror) and that connection is not as stable--sometimes I have to jiggle the wire to get it to work.

·
Registered
714 Posts
That’s better so it’s not on when vehicle is off, which will shorten battery life by causing the drain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Weirdest thing! Ok,i went to the teal with all the rest of the wires. I get lights on the dash cam but it doesn't turn on. (almost like there isn't enough power gong to it). When i use the cigarette plug the cam turn on.

Can anyone make sense of this?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I need to do this and have done so in my other car. However I’m concerned about dealer seeing and if any of the safety features up there go bad they blame.
debating just running wire down A pillar to fuse box instead.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I need to do this and have done so in my other car. However I’m concerned about dealer seeing and if any of the safety features up there go bad they blame.
debating just running wire down A pillar to fuse box instead.
It is better to get power from the top, if you go via A Pilar, make sure not to block the air bags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Weirdest thing! Ok,i went to the teal with all the rest of the wires. I get lights on the dash cam but it doesn't turn on. (almost like there isn't enough power gong to it). When i use the cigarette plug the cam turn on.

Can anyone make sense of this?

Anyone have any ideas? Still not getting power to Camera.

41 - 60 of 82 Posts