Honda Odyssey Forum banner

61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
14 volts? So you have a good tap assuming you used both wires.

So if camera works say with cigarette adapter must be issue with 12V to USB converter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
will order a new one just to rule it out. Hard to believe as it was working up until i removed it from my old car

·
Registered
11 Posts
Does hardwiring a dashcam affect anything on the 2020 touring odyssey? The odyssey seems so techy and i dont want to install a hardwire dashcam if it messes with all the navi and other electrical stuff...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Jeff146

I just finished hardwiring a Thinkware F800Pro in my Elite van and used #33 in the interior fuse box A located under the driver side dash. #33 only powers on when the vehicle is started (note: #33 was not used as there was no existing fuse connected, also confirmed this by checking the manual.) I simply utilized and add-a-fuse. For the ground I used one of the metal bolts just above the brake petal.
I tried to go this route with sort of Add a Fuse that came along prepackaged with this. However I could not get the multimeter to register any voltage even with the car running. Are these add fuse, directional? I can flip it over as there is not enough space between the #33 receptal and the plastic next to it.. Any other fuse slot I can use instead?

·
Registered
96 Posts
See step 3

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks. Its a decent resource. My question is more inclined towards the Add a Fuse directionality. reading through what I said before seems to be confusing... i am probably not doing a good job now either. I will try with a picture.

With the add a fuse I have, the wire butts against the plastic casing of the fuse box.

So getting back to the what I was looking for, do they make add a fuse where the wire end is tapped from the opposite direction, or on the opposite side of the fuse would work too..

Other alternative is to find another unused slot or piggy bank on a low risk slot...

I will have to dig in to see which one would work... but its cold outside... If anyone knows of an alternate slot then please let me know..

·
Registered
30 Posts
How about you try in a fuse location that fits pig tail right?
Just to confirm the tap works.
I will. It will take a few minutes to find one but should be doable. That video talks about option slot. Which should be ok too. Right now my radar is connected to cigarette lighter and that switches off every time car gets into auto engine off mode at the light. I am not sure if the slots in the fuse box would exhibit this too...I don't think they would

·
Registered
30 Posts
Poked through all the other open slot, but none of the open slots are switched slots. Fuse #3 which is mentioned in the video should work fine. I need to buy a 10A fuse that would fit in the add a fuse for the original fuse.... and I need to figure out where to ground the black cable. The bolts mentioned in https://www.odyclub.com/attachments/img_3194-jpg.135394/ by Floppy187 seems inaccessible with the wrench sets I have. I either have to find another tool set or find another bolt to use.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I was able to follow this guide on a 2013 Odessey (EX-L with RES). Everything was the same - wire color was still light green - I mean teal. ;-)

Thanks for a nice writeup!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I noticed a crackling sound coming from the speakers after the install (had the car only a couple days before I installed) does anyone know if tapping into the teal wire would cause this?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Reviving an older topic, but based on what I'm reading, I am gonna go with hardwiring to the back of the rearview mirror. The pin appears to have 6 as ground and 7 as the teal color power source per the pic earlier in this thread.

Going with a 12v to mini usb with pins that are a bit stiff to insert into the pin. Going with just a one channel cam, the Viofo a119 v3, pairing it with a 128gb samsung evo select micro sd card.

I'll try to upload pictures of the install process to help others as this thread helped me a lot.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Looking forward to write up
I didn't get a chance to take pictures for the step by step but honestly, it was so simple and quick you don't need a picture guide.

Here are some links to everything I bought. I chose this dashcam because based on my research, it is the best balance of quality and cost. There are 4k dashcam with better daylight detail but aren't always better at night and the 4k eats up memory due to file sizes. The one I linked is a happy medium from a known name in dashcams. The micro sd card is also a stalwart in memory that is made for frequent write and rewrites and extreme temps in dashcam usage. I don't have the tools to add solder to the leads so I spent extra buying the linked 12v to mini converter with stiff leads. They ended up being perfectly snug.

Get your dashcam ready and think about the positioning you want. Put in the microsd card. From the back of your rearview mirror, locate the power supply and press the tab to release the pin connector. The connector has several wires but you just need to match the black to black for ground and the teal to red for power. You can push in the leads for the 12v converter into the bottom to squeeze them in between the existing wire and they will make a snug connection. Push the leads in all the way and use the provided zip tie to keep it neat.

Start the engine and plug the mini usb into the dashcam to check that it gets power. It should show a red light on the record button. Once you turn on the screen, check the position and camera angle that works and take the tape off the dashcam mount to keep it in place. I suggest going through the dashcam settings to get everything squared away, but that's pretty much it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Jeff146

I just finished hardwiring a Thinkware F800Pro in my Elite van and used #33 in the interior fuse box A located under the driver side dash. #33 only powers on when the vehicle is started (note: #33 was not used as there was no existing fuse connected, also confirmed this by checking the manual.) I simply utilized and add-a-fuse. For the ground I used one of the metal bolts just above the brake petal.
Anyone using fuse 33 have issues with dash am restarting after engine idle-stop?

or maybe I have bad installation? Or bad dashcam? or wrong dashcam setting? Rexing v1

61 - 80 of 82 Posts