Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am glad to report that I have just finished my installation of the DEI 545T.
Thanks to Robert Charron who had installed one last year and spent a lot of time explaining to me where to purchase it and how to installed that without damaging anything in the van.
I originally ordered it just for its auto-on function, but as I was finishing up with the installation, I found out that there was a bonus:it comes equipped with DRL. However, the instruction told me I could disable the DRL if I don't like it. I disabled it.
The 545T uses a photocell, which I installed at the corner of the dashboard just underneath the windshield, to determine the headlight to be on or off. It does that automatically. It even turns on the headlight automatically whenever the windshield wipers are on, but I disable that function too.
For under $50, I think this is the best and the most economical and practical accessory I have ever installed in this van so far.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Where did you purchase it?

------------------
Patiently Awaiting My '02 EP EXL-NAV
"Live your own life, for you will surely die your own death"

·
Super Moderator
13,596 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lotus18:
I am glad to report that I have just finished my installation of the DEI 545T.
Thanks to Robert Charron who had installed one last year and spent a lot of time explaining to me where to purchase it and how to installed that without damaging anything in the van.
I originally ordered it just for its auto-on function, but as I was finishing up with the installation, I found out that there was a bonus:it comes equipped with DRL. However, the instruction told me I could disable the DRL if I don't like it. I disabled it.
The 545T uses a photocell, which I installed at the corner of the dashboard just underneath the windshield, to determine the headlight to be on or off. It does that automatically. It even turns on the headlight automatically whenever the windshield wipers are on, but I disable that function too.
For under $50, I think this is the best and the most economical and practical accessory I have ever installed in this van so far.
</font>
Great!!! Does it turn off the head lights when the ignition is turned to off? If yes then I will start exploring the possibility of installing it too. Can you get some pix out?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It works like this: When I turn on the ignition, the photocell senses the outside light through the windshield, if I am inside my garage, it'll turn on the headlight, parking light, dash light and taillight, just like driving at night-time. As I back out of the garage, the photocell senses the outside light again, if it is daytime, all the light will be turned off in 30 seconds.
When I return home at night and after parked the van, all the lights will be off when the ignition is turned off.
It is just as simple as that. From now on, I just forget the headlight switch. It does it automatically.
Oh, during day time if for some reason, you want to turn on the headlight, you can just manually switch it on, it will over-ride the 545T. That's the beauty of this product.

·
Super Moderator
13,596 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lotus18:
It works like this: When I turn on the ignition, the photocell senses the outside light through the windshield, if I am inside my garage, it'll turn on the headlight, parking light, dash light and taillight, just like driving at night-time. As I back out of the garage, the photocell senses the outside light again, if it is daytime, all the light will be turned off in 30 seconds.
When I return home at night and after parked the van, all the lights will be off when the ignition is turned off.
It is just as simple as that. From now on, I just forget the headlight switch. It does it automatically.
Oh, during day time if for some reason, you want to turn on the headlight, you can just manually switch it on, it will over-ride the 545T. That's the beauty of this product.
</font>
Oh!!! Now I get it. So, after the install the new module works independent of the light switches. So ideally you never have to use the light switches. How hard was the install and were there many splices to be done to the wiring? I am beginning to like this product already.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, as I've said before. You just ignore the light switch completely. The only time I can think of when you have to touch the light switch are:
1. like I said preveiously, if you want to turn on the light during day-time.
2. if you want to flash the headlight.
As far as the installation, it is not that difficult, it'll take about an hour to install. There are 7 connections to make, I used 6 scotch-locks and 1 connection directly to the fuse holder.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I forgot to mention last time that there is an on/off switch so that you can turn off the photocell if you do not want it to sense the outside light and control the on/off of the headlight.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I know you are not using the DRL feature, but can you tell us anything about how it works? Does it turn on all the lights or just the headlights? Are the headlights at full strength or reduced?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is just a convenient feature that has been standard in many other brands of car and van, like GM's sentinel autolight. I know Nissan's Quest and Pathfinder has it, and Toyota has that too.
As I said before, it employs a photocell to sense the outside light in order to determine if it is night time or day time. If it senses it is dark outside, it will switch on the headlight, parking light and tail-light for you, just like when you switch on the headlight at night.
It is strictly a convenience feature to replace the headlight switch and it does not affect the headlight strength.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This morning when I drove into the garage for my work place, I saw 2 persons were arguing and it looked like one car backed up to the front of another. After I parked my van, I walked past them I heard one guy said, 'I wish you had your headlight turned on' and the other guy said, 'no, but I still had my right of the way, you should have watched carefully before you backed up'
It is a 7-story garage and each floor except the top floor is kinda dark. I always try to remember to turn on the headlight when I pull in. This garage is always full and I know this kind of accident is going to happen. That's why I am so insist to install the auto-on headlight and I am glad I've found and installed one.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I am sorry that I did not make myself clear. I was interested specifically in how the DRL feature works. In the DRL mode do all the lights come on or just headlights, and are headlights at full strength during DRL operation?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I remember right after I have installed it, I was wondering why the headlight was always on, and when I read the instruction again, I found out that the headlight will be always on whenever the ignition is on. It showed me how to deactivate it though. I did not go to the back to check the tail-light before I deactivated it that day. The strength of the headlight may be the same as the normal strength and I did not pay much attention to it either, sorry.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I got excited and ordered one too. I connected all components that I got to each other, not yet on Van. Could you please give us some specific steps which wire to connect to which wire, where you mounted those two boxes. Photocell sensor goes under windsheild as I see it.

Please reply so that I can finish mine this week-end,

Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ody wire codes for: please

head lights
park lights
wiper +, - wires
security aux + - codes

Is Ody + switched or - switched ? I think it is + switched!

Thx

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
atl-ody, I assume you have 02' ody EX like mine. then you will connect as follows:
Before connection, always disconnect -ve cable from the battery first.
For the Relay Satellite of the 545T:
1. connect the BROWN and the VIOLET wires to any ground. I connected both wires to the Black wire of the combination light switch, (I also assume you know how to get to that switch, just let me know if not).
note: change both the supplied 15 Amp and 30 Amp fuses to 5 Amp
2. then connect the BLUE wire to the Red/Yellow of the combination switch.
3. connect the GREEN wire to the Blue/Red of the same switch.
For the Main Harness of the 545t:
1. the RED wire to the White/Yellow wire on the Brake Light Switch (Follow the brake pedal metal to find the switch)
2. connect the BLACK wire to ground, which is Black on the Brake Light Switch
3. connect the YELLOW to #11 (10A) in the fuse box on the driver's side kick box.
That is it, total 7 wires.
(Remember to open the control unit and cut the red loop wire if you do not want the DRL)
I used Scotch-lock for all connections, and I attached the control module to a grey box (I believe it is the alarm box which is a little bigger than the module) with a velco tape.
For the rest of the wires and relay satellite, I just tied them up to the brake wire.
I did not drill any hole for the switch as I don't think I will need to switch it often, I tied it up with the rest of the wires too, but with the toggle switch exposed so that if necessary, it can be located easier.
If you want more detail and may be some pictures, let me know your e-mail address, I'll be more than happy to help you out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for the prompt posting. Please be more specific on combination switch, ie how to find or locate it. I have 2001 EX NAVi, but wiring should be the same as I hope.

My e-mail is [email protected] please send any more info & pix to ease the process.

I see that you haven't used the lights on feature when wipers used and security arm/disarm feature yet? Is there any reason for that?

The DRL red wire looks like is in the other box not the one outside to relay switch which also has a closed red loop from switch 1 to 2?

Thx

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am all done installing this one.

It was fun and very nice feature. The wiring harness for combination light switch is tough to add new wire on using T-taps/Scotch-locks, not much space.

It took about 2 hours for me on the whole.

Thanks to lotus18 for all guidance and pics.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am glad you have joined me and Robert to have this fantastic feature in your van. As I have told you in the e-mail, I found it was tought to connect all 4 wires into the combination light switch and I suggested you to save one connection by another way, did you do that? I wish I knew that, but I learned from my mistake (or experience). And did you connect to the wiper? I assume you did not connect to the alarm system too.
Anyway, congratulation and enjoy this woderful feature.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yes, I piggybacked brown on voilet and then to black. Even with 3 wires, it was tough. May be the scotchlocks I got are very big. It may be good idea to get small T-taps.

I didn't do wipers & security. If some one explores it further, we still have wires to connect in future!

Today, it was raining and I didn't touch the switch at all and it managed the lighting by itself. Cool. GO FOR IT.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts