Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The DRL light was on in the display on the dash, and the drivers highbeam would not work, I have to tell you guys who also have this problem and are abit scared of the fix, it took all of 15 minutes to fix, including letting the soldering iron warm upfor 10 minutes. I plugged the iron in first so when I came back to the shop, it was ready to go, but had to wait another 10 minutes for this. The connections inside the relay were cracked and free of the board and they were soldered back together easily.

The glove box hangs down after using a screwdriver to remove the bump stops, they just pull out into the glove box, and then there is one 10mm bolt holding the daytime running lamp relay up above the glove box, unplug the conector and that is all. The relay comes apart with a screwdriver easily. What an easy fix for anybody.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I also have the DRL light turned on in my dash and my passenger highbeam is OFF. I know my highbeam is not blown since both work well at night. I also have a buzzer sound coming from the dash (left side of the sterring wheel). It sounds like a buzzer but I believe it's from a relay, switching ON-OFF at high speed. Both the buzzing sound and the DRL light in the dash will go OFF went I turn ON the headlights.

Billyisgr8, you mentionned your DRL relay is on the glovebox side. Which year is your van? Mine is a 2002. Could my relay be located on the driver side ? If so, does anyone know the best way to access it? I can touch the relay and feel it vibrating while buzzing but it's fairly high in the dash and cannot figure out how to remove it ...

Thanks in advance !

·
Administrator
14,020 Posts
I also have the DRL light turned on in my dash and my passenger highbeam is OFF. I know my highbeam is not blown since both work well at night. I also have a buzzer sound coming from the dash (left side of the sterring wheel). It sounds like a buzzer but I believe it's from a relay, switching ON-OFF at high speed. Both the buzzing sound and the DRL light in the dash will go OFF went I turn ON the headlights.

Billyisgr8, you mentionned your DRL relay is on the glovebox side. Which year is your van? Mine is a 2002. Could my relay be located on the driver side ? If so, does anyone know the best way to access it? I can touch the relay and feel it vibrating while buzzing but it's fairly high in the dash and cannot figure out how to remove it ...

Thanks in advance !
Your search term is DRL Buzzing in the google search up top.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mine is a 1999 and above the glovebox, yours is above the drivers foot. The relay just unplugs from the harness, and then a small screwdriver to undo the tabs to pull the circuit board out of the plastic box. So easy to do.

·
Registered
5 Posts
DRL repair

Billy, I found the DRL module above the glovebox. I must agree with you: This really is an easy fix. I'm adding few pics although there are many discussions on the subject on this forum. (Thanks to dvpatel: google search bar was very efficient. I'm no longer stupid !)

Glovebox bump stop removal:
bumpstop.jpg

DRL location with the 10mm screw:
location.jpg

A view of the famous module:
DRL_module.jpg

Module opened, showing at least 4 defective solder joints:
unrepaired.jpg

I took no chance and repaired a total of 9 joints. White stuff in the upper part is some dryed isopropanol that I used to remove flux:
repaired.jpg

Thank you everyone for helping! Today I saved 100$ !

·
Registered
25 Posts
The DRL light was on in the display on the dash, and the drivers highbeam would not work...
Do you remember which of the two relays you had to work on that controls the driver's side? I've fixed this problem twice before, and now I am doing it a third time. Problem is, I don't see any visible cracking, so I'm resoldering each of the pins. This is taking forever, though, because when I pop it back onto the wiring harness, the problem persists. If I knew which relay was for the passenger, I could focus on that one. Thanks!

P.S. When I have it wired up, I can feel a click from both relays when I turn the lights on and off. Does this mean the relay connections are fine and I need to look elsewhere?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just did this repair. Thanks to those who contributed earlier. Took a little longer than :15. Had to run down to Lowes for a great battery operated soldering iron, $20. Perfect tip for the job. I needed to use a little solder to do the job properly. It comes in the kit. I recommend using a magnifying glass to check your work to be sure the cracks are repaired properly otherwise they may look good but fail to produce.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I want to thank both of you for the pictures and for the information. I went out to the car 1999 Honda odyssey ex. I was having the same problem. drl light was on, had no running lights and they were just working with no high beam indicator light. also the high beam on the driver side would not work but the rest did. after trying to replace headlights. I looked and there was the answer from the both of you. billyisgr8 and Mapelle. I grab the 10mm and you will want a ratchet it is too hard to turn with a nut driver. I have only started soldering because i wanted to change batteries in my I touch and it was a piece of cake. I took rubbing alcohol cleaned up the brown goey globs around the soldering areas and really just add more solder to them. and the same ones on both of your pictures were on mine. just looked for cracks and missing solder. put in back in the car in 2 minutes and this is the first time everything went right the first time. all the light are back to normal. THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU.

·
Registered
2 Posts
DRL displayed on dash of 2006 Odyssey

On my 2006 Honda Odyssey the DRL light came on on the instrument panel. I went to my mechanic and they tried everything and ascertained the fuse and the relay were working. They looked for the Module and could not find it. They called the dealer and the dealer sold us a relay as a module. When we realized this was not the problem, we asked for a module and they advised us that the module was part of the fuse box which would cost around $300.00 We noticed that the high beam light on the passenger side was not working. We replace that and the DRL advisory on the dash went out and the daytime running lights work great. the DRL lights work on a looping circuit. If one light goes out, both do not work and the DRL light comes on on the dash. Just so you know, THERE IS NO DRL MODULE IN THE 2006 HONDA ODYSSEY.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts