Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

just exporting an 07' odyssey to Canada. As all other threads indicate I have to have DRL before I can get insurance. I just spoke to Canadian Tire who verifies the DRL on the vehicle for Transport Canada. They advised that I can just have the clearance lights on all the time like my Pontiac Montana.

Does anyone know what the color code of the clearance light wires are? The van is currently in North Dakota and I'm waiting for Customs to clear the title before I can bring it back to Manitoba.

I want to be able to hook up switched voltage to the clearance lights before I cross with the vehicle.

Thanks!

·
Registered
194 Posts
What's a clearance light? I have heard of headlight, tail light, parking light, hazard light, reverse light.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought the DRL module at Canadian Tire and installed it to use the fog lights. You shouldn't need to install it before you bring it across the border but the DRL will need to be working when you get your RIV inspection.

Are you driving it across the border? In Alberta as soon as I got the title I got insurance. I then got an "in transit" driving permit to get it home and drive it around for the RIV and out of province inspections.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Same process here in MB except Canadian Tire won't let me wire the Fog lights on as DRL?

I was advised it had to be the headlights!

I challenged 3 different CT managers as my Pontiac Montana uses the signal lights only for DRL from factory!

Finally one agreed that I could use the signal lights which shouldll be a snap to wire on constantly.

I wanted to wire before I brought it back just to save some time. My Montana head gasket blew while I was in Minneapolis during that massive snow storm last weekend. Couldn't rent a car as everything was gone due to the Airport and Transit being shut down. Uhaul wanted $800 to rent a truck and car-dolly to come back to Winnipeg.

Garage wanted $2k to fix the gasket or $3k to replace motor with a used one with 131,000 miles! Tried Bars Leak Head Gasket sealer and it worked! ... for one night! Next day back to square one.

I couldn't throw good money after bad so I bought the Odyssey.

Do you remember or know what wires you hook your DRL module up to?

If you can advise, maybe I'll just buy the module and hook it up too then bring it in and take my chances.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Disclaimer : All DIY changes recommended in my post are to be performed at your own risk. I do not guarantee that modifications will not cause any damage, either immediate or in the future. Disclaimer stolen from alexmish1

Sorry for the delay.

My buddy did most of the work and I held the tools. It's not the cleanest install but it works.

The module is mounted on the right with the black ground wire, it's hard to see, running to a bolt on the frame.

The yellow wire runs down to the fog light. It was tough to thread it down through the engine compartment to the light and the wire is just long enough. We had to use another piece of wire to find the path to the fog light and then we used this to guide the yellow wire down to it. The fog light was a little tricky to get out but it is only one screw. The instructions are in the manual but who reads those. :D If you need I can scan those and post them as well. The yellow wire is spliced to, I believe, the red wire of the fog light. If I was to do it again I would get the yellow wire spliced in before mounting the module.

Red wire to the battery.

Green wire to the "engine on" splice. It is spliced into the red wire in the picture and wrapped with electrical tape (which has been removed for the picture). We used a small voltage tester with an alligator clip to test the wire with the engine on before splicing into it. You should too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the pics and instructions. Looks like I'll only get the vehicle now on Xmas day or after Boxing Day as my money finally just transfered to the dealer last night!
I'll definitely hook them up and try it out. Have a great Xmas!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts