Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems members have had mostly bad experiences in N. Virginia...any good stories to report for dealers in the Washington, DC area lately?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Since you're in Arlington I should say that for service and maintenence Brown Honda has been great. For purchasing I bought out-of-state in W. VA for $500 under MSRP at the same time that N. VA dealers were asking for thousands $$ more than MSRP.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You might want to check out O'Donnell Honda in Ellicott City, MD, between DC and Baltimore. Their Internet rep said they would sell at MSRP with no required dealer installed items. I have not decided on a van yet so I did not place a deposit but I felt that the customer treatment was on a much more dignified level than the other dealer reps I have talked to. Shortly after my visit I received a card in the mail from the salesman thanking me for the visit (I drove their 02 EX demo) and inviting me to come back. That was unusually courteous treatment IMHO.

As far as No. Va. dealers near DC I would forget them although I understand that Bill Page has a good service dept. But they charge over MSRP for these vans and make you take $800 "worth" of dealer installed items, such as wheet locks (for steel wheels!).

Good luck.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I, too, gave up on Northern Virginia dealers when I found out how much they were charging (up to $2000 over MSRP). Also, every one of them charges an additional "processing fee" of $200 to $300 on top of the quoted price. That's some serious paper shuffling. Some of them tried to justify the processing fee--which was quite humorous--while others candidly admitted it was an add-on that "everyone does" so I should just accept it.

Anyway, I wound up ordering from Brown's Honda City in Glen Burnie, Maryland. Their internet sales team was great to deal with. They did almost everything by email and took my deposit by phone so I'll only have to trek up there when I pick up the van. I got the van for $500 under MSRP (with no processing fee), which they said was their "January internet special." I don't know if they have a similar "February internet special" going on now.

Because I have not picked up the van yet (they told me it would be there in late April or early May) and I have read many nightmare stories on this site, I cannot yet give them a full-fledged endorsement. However, they have been great so far and I hope it stays that way.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I bought my van through Brown's Honda in Glen Burnie and I'll give them an endorsement. Everyone I worked with there was outstanding. I wouldn't hesitate buying another automobile from them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by J R Jensen:
I bought my van through Brown's Honda in Glen Burnie and I'll give them an endorsement. Everyone I worked with there was outstanding. I wouldn't hesitate buying another automobile from them.</font>

one annoying aspect--was originally told up to 3 months wait. got call after one month that on way, then told 10 days later mistake, another two weeks, which turned into a month.

·
Registered
8 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Papa John:
It seems members have had mostly bad experiences in N. Virginia...any good stories to report for dealers in the Washington, DC area lately?</font>
My first visit to a dealer was Rosenthal Honda at Tysons Corner. What a mistake! They were charging $2500 over MSRP and adding dealer packages that I did not care for. I got up an walked away as soon as I saw this unbelievable markup. I then headed to Landmark Honda in Alexandria. They were asking $1900 over MSRP! I finally went to Browns Arlington Honda. They were such a nice change from the previous dealers. They were very upfront and said they do not price the Odysseys over MSRP or add any additional packages unless it's requested. I was lucky to take delivery of my Redrock EXL RES in a week (they just got the VIN of this unit that was coming in the same day I came in and made the deposit). I would recommend this dealer to anyone looking in the N. VA area.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, this is helpful info. I will be checking out Brown's in Arlington next weekend. I find it interesting that while most area dealers have a handful, if that, of Odysseys on their web inventory list, Rosenthal's of Vienna has twenty-seven 2002s on the lot! (In addition to nine 2001s.)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Being a fellow Arlingtonian I found it helpful to get on several dealers' service mailing lists to catch all the specials and get them to compete with each other on price. Recently, Page Honda had a special for their 30K service which I got Brown to match!

·
Registered
51 Posts
After shopping around several dealers in MD, I finally placed an order of 02 EXL-NAVI RRP at Brown's Honda City at Glen Burnie. As some of you mentioned on this forum, they were upfront. They gave me $500 discount plus several free options I requested. No trick. No obligated purchase of unnecessary optional package required.
They will continue $500 discount for the time being, If you are intersted in, please contact Scott or Phil at Brown's Honda City. This is for the forth time for me to purchase new car in US. Starting 99 CR-V EX, then 00 Odyssey EX and 01 Nissan Xterra 4WD SE. I purchased those cars from different dealers, however, most of them tried to sell optional package which I was not interested in. It required long time to get rid of agressive sales procedure. This time I did not experience any unconfortable things. Hopefully my ODY ordered will be delivered without any problem.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've gotten no response to internet quote requests from Brown's in Glen Burnie. I currently have an Ody on order with Hendrick in Woodbridge.

·
Registered
51 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Finally got a RRP EX-L NAVI today from a Costco dealer in PA. This dealer and Hugh White in Ohio were the only 2 who didn't jerk us around. We waited for 18 months with UBS in the DC area and they still couldn't give us a definite time for delivery. It became obvious that they were not eager to sell an in demand NAVI model at UBS prices (it would be a great price in 2005.) Our ultimate dealer was great- accurate delivery time, called with updates and offered different colors earlier, $500 under msrp, prices of options (fog lights, cargo mat& try) close to Hand A-Accessories; no pressure to add unwanted options; they delivered the car to our house; and he met Tracy's price on the 7/100 warranty. No problems with the van- no pulling to side, rattling, no leaking transmission, doors work smoothly, runs quietly. It's a wonderful van, very smooth and powerful. We haven't figured out the NAVI system yet though. While it's great to be done with our Grand Caravan, the Odyssey's 3rd row seat seems cramped, and we hope we don't miss the AWD. Many thanks to all on this website who have helped us avoid so many pitfalls. BTW, Brown's in Glen Burnie was asking MSRP with a 4 month wait when we asked-prices must be going down.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just test drove a Taffeta White EX at Brown's in Arlington. It's the only Odyssey on their lot right now. Took it for a short spin on I-66 and surrounding streets. I liked the feel. I wasn't bothered by the road noise, though my wife noticed it.

They want MSRP and do not throw in any extras. I did not put down a deposit, saying that I still can't decide between LX and EX. Next step is to see if I can get a better price. When I said that Brown's in Glen Burnie is offering $500 under MSRP and is throwing in free extras, the reply was that that's a smaller dealer and the wait would be much longer. There should be two more Odys coming in at Arlington in the next couple of weeks.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I emailed Scott at Brown's in Glen Burnie. He returned a quote of $500 under MSRP, with a processing fee of $25. The only problem is a delivery date in mid-June or July. Unfortunately, I can't wait that long, so I'm probably going to have to stick with Hendrick in Woodbridge. DOH!

------------------

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rgrossman:
Do you know their processing fee for title and tags? Some of the NoVA dealers are asking up to $300.</font>
Brown's Arlington's processing fee is $220, in addition to $38.50 for tags...Ourisman in Bethesda says theirs is $25, with a 30-45 day wait for delivery. I'm not sure, but I believe Ourisman, like Brown's Arlington, is quoting MSRP.

·
Registered
5 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rrphody:
Finally got a RRP EX-L NAVI today from a Costco dealer in PA. This dealer and Hugh White in Ohio were the only 2 who didn't jerk us around. We waited for 18 months with UBS in the DC area and they still couldn't give us a definite time for delivery. It became obvious that they were not eager to sell an in demand NAVI model at UBS prices (it would be a great price in 2005.) Our ultimate dealer was great- accurate delivery time, called with updates and offered different colors earlier, $500 under msrp, prices of options (fog lights, cargo mat& try) close to Hand A-Accessories; no pressure to add unwanted options; they delivered the car to our house; and he met Tracy's price on the 7/100 warranty. No problems with the van- no pulling to side, rattling, no leaking transmission, doors work smoothly, runs quietly. It's a wonderful van, very smooth and powerful. We haven't figured out the NAVI system yet though. While it's great to be done with our Grand Caravan, the Odyssey's 3rd row seat seems cramped, and we hope we don't miss the AWD. Many thanks to all on this website who have helped us avoid so many pitfalls. BTW, Brown's in Glen Burnie was asking MSRP with a 4 month wait when we asked-prices must be going down.</font>
rrphody:

Where is this Costco Dealer in PA ? Can youplease give me the contact information and/or email address or Web site.
Thanks.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Very unhappy. :( As noted earlier in this thread, we placed an order with Brown's in Glen Burnie, Maryland, in January for a TW EXL-RES to be delivered in April/May. I just got a call from the dealer, and he told me that we can have an HB EXL-RES in April/May, but our TW EXL-RES will now be dellivered in June/July. :mad: While HB was our "second choice" color when we ordered with Brown's, we listed it only because we had to list more than one choice--we really want TW.

1 - 20 of 138 Posts