Honda Odyssey Forum banner

De-pax Experience - texas 2011, december

8K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  JamesMount 
#1 ·
There are a lot of Odyssey Owners in my area, so I wanted to share my de-pax expereince and hopefully help them make theirs less of a hassle - that is the reason for this post. I have a 2006 Touring model and I de-paxed it december 4th. It now has 16" Elbrus Wheels and Bridgestone Advantage T/A tires from Costco of Cedar Hill. In case anyone wants to carry the fire and keep Pax wheels on their minivan, then I have my old ones for sale here for a short period of time: Run flat tires with wheels - PAX
Here is the wheel summary from tire rack
Qty
4 16x7.5 Elbrus I02 SDC ICE $99.00 total $396.00
20 Required lugnut for vehicle (Nickel Plated) N/C
4 Retaining clip for AL-P rings N/C
4 Required centering ring N/C
1 Power wrench handle N/C
1 19mm Thinwall socket N/C
total cost for all this was $460 delivered
Here is the tire summary from Costco:
BFG advantage T/A 235/65R16 103T BSW MSPN 97843 75,000 mile warranty
installation, nitrogen tire inflation, Sensor - Acura, Honda (ID#296764- use that when ordering) Tires: $515.96 Installation: $56 Sensors:$127 Road Hazard: free - Total $698.96
Spare tire: I used one I keptafter an accident from my old LX 2000.

Impressions:
I now have stock EX/LX size wheels and won't have any problem finding cheap replacements, although with a 75,000 mile warranty (I'll probably replace them at 50,000 miles) I may not have then van then so I don't really care too much. But, at least I don't have to put up with the extra hassle of having non-stock wheels and the extra cost of 17 or 18 or larger inch tires.
Tirerack was a douchebag when it came to getting them to send me wheels/sensors, and tires already installed. I tried and cancelled multiple order through them. I tried all different kinds of angles and none worked - so I would recommend not wasting your time. I ended up getting wheels only through them - I think I told them I had an odyssey EX - because it was the cheapest place to get new stock size wheels. I give them props for including the right lugnuts and a new wrench and socket for the spare tire area. The wheels that came in were OK quality - one had dust specks in the finish and one had some scratches in the finish and a small dent. I wasn't too happy - but the function was non marred, so it wasn't worth the hassle to return them or even call Tire rack due to shipping costs.

Hints: You have to order the tires and sensors in person from Costco. The only Costco that has them in stock is in Fort worth. It took 2 weeks to get the sensors, 1 week for the tires. Talk to the manager, brian, who works until 5 PM, because the other guys might not know what they are doing when putting on new wheels. They were great when putting on the new wheels - just tell them in advance that you have the lugnuts, a socket (not sure if they need yours or not) and that the sensors will automatically sync to your touring model. (Not so for other models). Also, if you want to keep the Honda center caps instead of the ones that come with the new wheels, then remove the Elbrus centercaps and then when you go in tell them to use the Honda ones. The elbrus centercaps only come off by pushing from the inside of the wheel while the wheel is dismounted.

So there you have it - that is how I de-paxed for $1159 and got 4 new wheels, tires, and sensors in the process. I love the new tires - they are great and grip really well, have a great tread life and grip well in snow and rain. Somehow "Brick house" comes to mind when describing their feel.

See less See more
#2 ·
The only problem I see is that if you kept your spare from your old 2000, it will NOT work on your 2006. Several threads asking if 2nd gen rims etc will fit 3rd gen and NO they will NOT fit due to different bolt patterns.

You might want to puruse the "Spare my Touring" thread for your spare. ;)

#3 ·
thanks

Thanks for the heads Up DVpatel. Incidentally, if anyone wants to trade a Gen II spare wheel tire assembly for a Gen III one, let me know.
I see that the Gen II has a 16" dia and the Gen III are 17" - so the wheels of a Gen II will not fit a Gen III, and the tire of a Gen II will not fit a Gen III spare wheel. I see that College Hills Honda has the wheels for 50 bucks. Not sure where to get a tire. That thread you recommended was mostly a waste of time - multiple pages of bickering and stuff I don't have time for. Some people just have too much time on their hands and post stuff on here that no one really cares about and doesn't add to the pool of knowlege. I hope this thread remains pristine and useful and not full of speculation and unhelpful verbage.
Have any recommendations for a short thread with helpful facts like where to buy a spare wheel/tire and for how much?

#4 ·
Gen II is 16's all trims. Gen III is 16's except 08-10 Touring non pax which is 17's. BOLT PATTERN is the difference, Gen II is 5x114.3 while Gen III is 5x120. This means that the 05-10 Ody have bolt holes farther apart from each other compared to Ody 99-04 model.

#5 ·
Cebu - It appears you are talking about the daily driving wheels/tires. I was referring to the spare tire/wheels (donuts). Sorry if that wasn't clear. I hope that is now clear to all the folks who may read this. Gen III spare wheels/tires have a radius of 17" and Gen II is 16".

#6 ·
Depax

I am a newbie here. I just got jacked up with Tire Rack. I had an order for the Sport Edition TX5 and Michelin MXV4's. I told them I had a Ridgline. They would not sell them to meet. Said they did not meet the spec. I found some Honda OEM wheels 16" 42700-SHJ-C91 FOR $645.15. After reading about some of the problems, I am thinking about those. They have the spare for $169 ad the sensors for $137. I am still debating what to get for the tires.
John

#7 ·
I am a newbie here. I just got jacked up with Tire Rack. I had an order for the Sport Edition TX5 and Michelin MXV4's. I told them I had a Ridgline. They would not sell them to meet. Said they did not meet the spec. I found some Honda OEM wheels 16" 42700-SHJ-C91 FOR $645.15. After reading about some of the problems, I am thinking about those. They have the spare for $169 ad the sensors for $137. I am still debating what to get for the tires.
John
Why would you say you have a Ridgeline? Can't you just say you have an Oddy EX or something and say you curbed it and are looking for rims and tires?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.