Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a call from the wife this afternoon.....battery dead. All the doors appeared closed. After hooking up the charger and trying to allay my wife's concerns about our 'unreliable' brand new Odyssey I researched the owner's manual and the Helm's Honda service manual. On page 128 of the owner's manual, column three, it states "with any door or the tailgate left open, the lights stay on about three minutes, then go out". At the top of column three is the header "On EX and EX-L models".....ours is a LX (Canadian). Sure enough when I 'closed' the tailgate gently, and it appeared closed from outward appearances, the interior lights were on (door activated position on the light control switch). With the tinted windows, day time conditions, and my height (6'2") it was not obvious at all that the lights were on. They stayed on for 30 minutes plus before I gave up. No auto off on the LX it seems. Lesson learned about shutting the tailgate completely and checking the lights just to be sure next time. And yes I was the one who last 'closed' the tailgate on her Odyssey.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. I'm not really familiar with the "door open" issue, but lots of electronic ink has been spilled in this forum concerning the "kids left the map lights on" issue. Absent turning off the master interior light switch up front, there is no mechanism in the Ody to turn these off after a preset period of time either.

Check out the other sections of this forum. Others are apparently using an aftermarket low battery disconnect switch to avoid getting stranded. It attaches to the battery and disconnects the battery if it falls below a preset voltage. You simply reset it and crank the car. You would have to re-enter your radio code.

Good luck.

------------------
Craig

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Craig,

Thanks for the low battery disconnect tip. I reviewed the 'kids leaving the lights on' threads, etc. before posting this seemingly new way of killing the battery and getting in trouble with the wife. It seems the master switch will not turn off the front map lights or the tailgate light if they have been turned on individually but it would be easier to tell they were on as one would be sitting in the van.

Thanks again,

Michael

1 - 3 of 3 Posts