Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My wife's 2002 Ody's driver side door died yesterday. I do not have a service manual, YET! I say it is dead because I spent from 7pm to 1 am reading this forum and trying everything. From the fuse #13 reset to disconnecting the battery. I tore the insides out on the drivers rear panel to get access to the motor to be able to "hear" better and I could never hear anything that indicates that the motor assembly is even trying to engage. There is no attempt at the system to apply power. The cables look good as do the rollers for the door. All 4 fuses are good.

On a note, the door opens easier when the battery is disconnected than when it is connected, which leads me to believe the motor is bad. However, there could be a relay or some sort of control unit that I am unaware of. I do have a diagram of the assembly unit for the motor housing and there is a control unit on it (I was just curious if I took the unit off of the passenger side and hooked it up to the driver side to test it).

Any info on checking voltages on what connectors and what pins. No matter what your choice of attempting to open or close(buttons, dash, etc) the only way to get it open is brute strength, which my wife does not have.

Any Thoughts would be helpful.

John
:mad:

·
Registered
1 Posts
John,
The Haynes manual for Odyssey model years 1999-2004 says:
The electrical control and power circuits for these doors are quite complex. If a malfunction causes the door to open accidentally while the vehicle is moving, it could be dangerous, so we don't recommend that you attempt to diagnose or repair these circuits. .....have the problem ...repaired by a dealer or other qualified shop.
No help there. Our passenger door went out last winter after a couple weeks of the alarm beeping when going over a bump. The mechanic said there was a TSB on it and it needed a ground connection update. He described the repair. Seemed like $ well spent and they are still working.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update

Ok, so the motor is functional. I was able to run the power out of the controller unit of the passenger side into the motor and it works, so there is either some issue on the drivers side (since it does not work with the door open I am assuming that the electrical system in the door itself cannot be causing the issue). I could not however hook up the controller unit to the passenger side because the plugs were different (I could have with a little dremel work as the pin outs are the same, but was not ready to go there). The controller is actually mounted on the backside of the motor and it resembles a hard drive enclosure.

Has anyone ever had one of these controllers go bad, and if so, did it act like there was no power to the drivers side power sliding door?

Thanks

Also, taking the sliding mechanism out of the door and making it manual was suprisingly easy. Use something sturdy to support the door and unbolt it at the center guide rail. Then on the motor there is a nut the middle of the motor with a plastic wheel around it. Pull out on that wheel and turn clockwise (drivers side) to loosen tension on the guide wire. Loosen enough and it pulls apart at the door hinge quickly. Slides easy as well with out the motor attached.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts