Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I'm looking to join you guys in OdyLand soon. But I need some advice. I have an opportunity to buy an 07 Odyssey EX-L with RES and NAV for $19,000. It looks terrific inside and out - like a new car. I took an independent mechanic to the lot and he told me the drivetrain appeared to be in excellent condition. The report shows no issues of any kind. The downsides are that it has 81,000 miles on it (from one owner who leased it), there are no service records in the report, and it needs new tires. The car is also on a small used car lot so if I bought it I'd be on my on if I had any problems. I really need this car to last and want to avoid major repair work (aside from the 105K service). So is this a deal or not?

·
Registered
380 Posts
It is about average price.

I just picked up a 07 EX with 41K. for 17.3 but was lucky to find that one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. After reading stuff here, I've also been wondering whether I'd be better going for an EX just to avoid all the VCM juddering/motor mount issues.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Judder is still there in the EX model. just different in that one. It drops down harshly in the 20-45mph range. That being said there is an TSB that is available to address this with a software fix that Honda (or a good indy with the right equipment) will do FOR FREE (specified on the TSB!).

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hi everyone!

I'm looking to join you guys in OdyLand soon. But I need some advice. I have an opportunity to buy an 07 Odyssey EX-L with RES and NAV for $19,000. It looks terrific inside and out - like a new car. I took an independent mechanic to the lot and he told me the drivetrain appeared to be in excellent condition. The report shows no issues of any kind. The downsides are that it has 81,000 miles on it (from one owner who leased it), there are no service records in the report, and it needs new tires. The car is also on a small used car lot so if I bought it I'd be on my on if I had any problems. I really need this car to last and want to avoid major repair work (aside from the 105K service). So is this a deal or not?
Buying used is tricky: you don't know why the previous owner is selling the car and how well the car was maintained.

I think $19000 is a very good price for 2007 EXL+RES+NAV.
This low price makes up for all the downsides (high mileage, no warranty, no service record).

Here is what I would do after I bought this van:
- 4 new tires will cost $600.
Replace all fluids:
- ATF ( 3 drains/fills)
- Brake fluid
- Engine oil,
- Power steering fluid,
- Antifreeze.
- Brake pads (You didn't mention how much life left on them so I assume they don't need to be replaced).

If I have the shops do all the works, above items may set me back around $1000. This bring the cost of the van to $20K which is still a good price (for my area).

In my area, these are for sale:
- 69,671 miles, 2007, EXL-RES-NAV, CPO, $21988 (no haggle, Honda dealer).
- 96K miles, 2007 EXL-RES, $17988 asking, Honda dealer.
- 30K miles, 2007 EXL-RES, $21999 asking, not Honda dealer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Buying used is tricky: you don't know why the previous owner is selling the car and how well the car was maintained.

I think $19000 is a very good price for 2007 EXL+RES+NAV.
This low price makes up for all the downsides (high mileage, no warranty, no service record).
Thanks. Those prices you're seeing are about the same in my area. And you've hit the nail on the head - $19K seems cheap by comparison. BUT the high mileage, lack of warranty and no service records do have me wondering if it's worth it. What I've read on these forums shows that Honda's very good. But it also shows their reputation for invincible reliability is built on vehicles like the Accord and Civic, not the bigger trucks.

Here is what I would do after I bought this van:
- 4 new tires will cost $600.
Replace all fluids:
- ATF ( 3 drains/fills)
- Brake fluid
- Engine oil,
- Power steering fluid,
- Antifreeze.
- Brake pads (You didn't mention how much life left on them so I assume they don't need to be replaced).
Wow, we're of like mind! That's exactly what I'm thinking to do with the exception of the brakes, which still have plenty of pad on them.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
You might want to shop around for a slightly older one with similar miles (or even less). There's really not much difference between '05-'07 models. You can likely find one from a private seller for quite a bit less and know the service history. We just hit 80k miles on our identical '05 and I'd be surprised to get more than $15k for it. If I was shopping I'd gladly take an '05 for several grand savings.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You might want to shop around for a slightly older one with similar miles (or even less). There's really not much difference between '05-'07 models. You can likely find one from a private seller for quite a bit less and know the service history. We just hit 80k miles on our identical '05 and I'd be surprised to get more than $15k for it. If I was shopping I'd gladly take an '05 for several grand savings.
I'm very early into this. So I'm going to look around a bit more this weekend. I'm really interested in the 07 because I understand that's when Honda started using the "ruggedized" transmission. From what I've read here, the 07 got terrible reviews for transmission problems. But it looks like Honda was able to fix them with a software update.

While I'm on the subject, what are the weaknesses of these Odys? I've read about torque converters and motor mounts going. What else should I watch out for?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Check the TSB thread in Odyclub for all the known problems.

On my van, I had these problems:
- Stiff steering at low speed. TSB did fix this completely.
- Soft brake pedal. TSB didn't fix this completely.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I'm very early into this. So I'm going to look around a bit more this weekend. I'm really interested in the 07 because I understand that's when Honda started using the "ruggedized" transmission.
'07+ has a four-shaft design vs the previous three shaft. AFAIK, the shaft part hasn't been a problem on any of the Odysseys. The four-shaft showed up with the Ridgeline because of the higher power and towing/offroading. I'm sure there are lots of theories on why they switched to this design on the Ody and mine is that it's simply a sourcing issue. It doesn't make sense to source two different transmissions between the Ridgeline and Ody. Oh yeah...and they happen to build the Ody and Ridgeline at the same plant.

I would agree it probably is a beefier design from the shaft standpoint...but unless you're towing/off-roading/or adding considerable HP to your Ody...I doubt it really will have a longer lifespan. Some of the problems were fixed by software, but many required new torque converters as well. I wouldn't make this a big issue on what model year I was shopping. Even the first-year 2005 models are quite reliable once the first round of issues were resolved. The problems that persist (brakes, power steering, engine mounts) seem to do so across all the years right into 2010.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have an 2007 exl from new with 80,000 km (50K miles)
We have replaced the rear AC line as they are covered in a plastic cover and rust out, just out of warranty and we paid half
The stabilizer bars were shot and caused a knocking sound in the front end, no warranty
The timing belt was replaced at 30,000 km cause it was chirping (warranty)
The serpentine belt was just replaced as it was squealing. (Honda paid half)

Those are the only major repairs

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
'07+ has a four-shaft design vs the previous three shaft...I would agree it probably is a beefier design from the shaft standpoint...but unless you're towing/off-roading/or adding considerable HP to your Ody...I doubt it really will have a longer lifespan.
If everything else is equal, you're probably right. But I figure more substantial components can't hurt. I had a transmission go out on a first-generation Ford Explorer. I learned it was the weak link in the powertrain because it was originally designed for cars and just wasn't solid enough to move a heavier truck. Ford went through several transmission updates to beef up the components. So I can't help but see the possibility that Honda might be doing the same thing.

The problems that persist (brakes, power steering, engine mounts) seem to do so across all the years right into 2010.
Thanks. I'm reading up on those. It sounds like the motor mounts are overly complicated. Am I correct that VCM didn't exist on first-gen Odys and has now been removed for the 2011 model?

I have an 2007 exl from new with 80,000 km (50K miles)...
We have replaced the rear AC line as they are covered in a plastic cover and rust out, just out of warranty and we paid half
Having to do the timing belt halfway through it's life sounds annoying. Everything else sound normal except for the AC lines. Are these lines somewhere I can inspect them when I'm looking at used vehicles?

·
Registered
16 Posts
The timing belt was replaced due to a chirping noise coming from it and was covered under warranty.
The rear AC lines come to the rear of the van and enter back into the cabin in front of the rear passenger tire. You would have to stick your head in there but you can spot them. They are likely still covered in the plastic which is now removed on the newer vans to correct that issue.
I belive if you search on here you can find some more info and possible a TSB.

My VCM works fine and I believe is still available on new tourings and exl.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Flandry, I just bought a 2011 and the VCM now comes on all Odysseys, so apparently Honda thinks the design is good. I could live without it, but had no choice. I've never heard that the VCM wears out the mounts. We had to replace two mounts on our 2004 and it did not have VCM. Also, someone mentioned the downshifting that the van does, well that is by design and I believe is called grade logic or something. And one last thought, maybe you can find a lower mileage 2008 EX since the wheels look much better to me on the 2008-2010, than before that. And you can always get an aftermarket DVD played and GPS. Good luck.

·
Registered
755 Posts
since the vehicle doesnt have any service history, i would ask them to negotiate the

price a little bit more. You never know how the other owner drove her since it was

a lease (no offense to any lease people :D ). Test drive it a little and see if you feel

anything weird (ps pump at low speed in the parking lot, tranny shudder, see if all

the electric items are functioning, carpet condition, see if AC is fuctioning correctly,

and lastly check the engine oil and tranny oil's color. Its supposed to be bright red/pink.)

Thats all i can think of now and i hope it helps. good luck!!!

·
Registered
854 Posts
Flandry, I just bought a 2011 and the VCM now comes on all Odysseys, so apparently Honda thinks the design is good. I could live without it, but had no choice. I've never heard that the VCM wears out the mounts. We had to replace two mounts on our 2004 and it did not have VCM. Also, someone mentioned the downshifting that the van does, well that is by design and I believe is called grade logic or something. And one last thought, maybe you can find a lower mileage 2008 EX since the wheels look much better to me on the 2008-2010, than before that. And you can always get an aftermarket DVD played and GPS. Good luck.
My understanding is that it's not that "...the VCM wears out the mounts[,]" but that the mounts used in VCM equipped models are different and prone to failure.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Flandry, I just bought a 2011 and the VCM now comes on all Odysseys, so apparently Honda thinks the design is good... We had to replace two mounts on our 2004 and it did not have VCM... And one last thought, maybe you can find a lower mileage 2008 EX since the wheels look much better to me on the 2008-2010, than before that. And you can always get an aftermarket DVD played and GPS. Good luck.
My understanding is that it's not that "...the VCM wears out the mounts[,]" but that the mounts used in VCM equipped models are different and prone to failure.
I stand corrected on the VCM. But given the Ody's lackluster gas mileage, I'm sure Honda is more concerned with the feature's ability to sell cars than with it's ability to hold up after 5+ years. Not that I think they want to build something bad, but more that their reach may surpass current materials technologies. I like the idea, but what I've read seems to indicate it's problematic.

I'd like an 08. But they, and low mileage Odys at any trim level are a little beyond my budget.

since the vehicle doesnt have any service history, i would ask them to negotiate the price a little bit more. You never know how the other owner drove her since it was a lease (no offense to any lease people :DD ). Test drive it a little and see if you feel anything weird (ps pump at low speed in the parking lot, tranny shudder, see if all the electric items are functioning, carpet condition, see if AC is fuctioning correctly, and lastly check the engine oil and tranny oil's color. Its supposed to be bright red/pink.)
I did decide in the end to walk away from it. I couldn't get past the unknown service history and high mileage. But I kept the advice of you and the others in mind and I did find something at last!

I'm now an Ody owner! :DD :coolio:

After looking at a lot of Odys, I ended up buying a different '07 EX-L RES+NAV for about $1,600 less. Much to my chagrin, it has even more mileage on it - a full 15K more. It's also got a few more small places on the paint that have been touched up. But I decided to buy it because I could tell the previous owner tried to take care of it and that its was taken to the Honda dealer where it was bought for every service (even oil changes). So a very complete service record is on the Carfax. It also shows the Honda dealer installed a new torque converter less than 1,000 miles ago. I was able to contact the service manager and, while I couldn't get all the details, did learn "about a half a dozen TSBs" had been performed including the ones for the brakes, fan motors, and transmission software. The dealer told me they'd done a four-wheel alignment after the TC install and the place I bought it from included an oil change and brand-new set of tires in the cost.

I want to thank all you guys who chimed in. I also want to thank alexmish1 for his excellent New Delivery Checklist, and the Admins of this great forum! Hopefully I found something that will last for a while.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts