Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help!

We are finally,after 4 months with one dealer and a mere 3 weeks with another, getting our red Ody! (Both cars shipped the same day! We made someone else happy by cancelling one!). However, with my Joy comes new questions which I haven't found clear answers to:

== Is undercoat a good idea? I've promised my beloved I'd drive this for at least 8 years.

--What about paint sealant? My gut says no.

== Rust protection?

-- Is the extended warranty useful? My dealer wants what appears to be an exorbanant amount, for which I won't pay (1250 for 5/100000).

The car is coming in Dec. 4 and will be sent out for leather== the wait for an EXL was too long, so the dealership is adding leather and heated seats for $1995. More $ than EXL but I can't stand the wait any more... So I need to decide by next Thursday... This is already so expensive...

·
Registered
205 Posts
I think the general advice in tha past has been - DON'T ACCEPT ANY AFTERMARKET ACCESSORIES, whether its paint sealant, rust protector of anything else. They may or may not be of value (I don't think they are), but in either case the dealer will charge you over the odds for it. The HondaCare warranty can be got for $900 or less, so you should decline that or haggle them down to $900.

------------------
Richard
2002 Granite Green EX-L
Splash Guards, Cargo Tray, Weathertech Mats

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the most often HondaCare quoted is 7 years, 100,000 miles, $0 deductible. Unless you know you're going to hit 100K within 5 years you probably want to go for the longer time limit.

Mel

·
Registered
20 Posts
This is such a great question and one I'm very surprised to find very little postings about. Almost certainly we all were or will be offered dealer add-ons as part of the Odyssey purchase. The extended warranty is one thing, but the added sealants, paint and fabric protection, and rust protection services offered to be applied by the dealer is a real mystery to me. Of course the salesperson is going to make you feel like you absolutely need to get this. I was offered some kind of "Protection Plan A" or "Environmental Package" or something for $400 that'd involve some sort of touchless undercoating, a paint sealant that'd "make it so I wouldn't have to wax my car for 5 years" and fabric protection so "stains will just wipe right off" (this is on a cloth version). If you live in a cold weather climate, it's likely they salt roads in the winter, and it is this fact they use to scare you into getting rust protection. I've tried to research opinions, and have come across comments that seem to advise against these protections, that they're unnecessary due to better materials on new cars, and a factory coating that inhibits rust. I don't know what's true, but I'd like to know about the Odyssey in specific, and what others are doing or have done. My gut is telling me that the protections they want to apply to my Odyssey probably cost them $50 and is just a big profit maker, and will make little difference in the life of the vehicle, other than make me feel better for having cared enough to protect my purchase.

Jason
'02 Odyssey EX SS (eventually)
'99 CR-V EX (currently)
'93 Civic CX (anybody interested?)

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jasoninwi:
This is such a great question and one I'm very surprised to find very little postings about...</font>
Jasoninwi,

There are many postings on this topic - a search of the archives should reveal them. The existing work pretty much covers most if not all aspects of the situation. Some threads are relatively recent.

IMHO, people are more willing to post on topics not previously covered.

No disrespect intended.

Regards,

Maugham

[This message has been edited by Maugham (edited 11-28-2001).]

·
Registered
20 Posts
Originally posted by Maugham:

IMHO, people are more willing to post on topics not previously covered.

No disrespect intended.

-- none taken, but not everyone has read the 10,000 plus posts on this forum, and this issue is very purchase-relative for all new Ody buyers. There are plenty of people waiting for an Odyssey who havn't yet, but will eventually face this decision. Your assertion that the rust protection question has been covered before, therefore no longer of concern, isn't fair to other readers because searching the word "rust" garners very little previous discussion, and the topic should evolve as the wave of 2002 purchases occurs. I'm really looking for any informed opinion in regards to the need for such protectives on this still very new model. As far as topics having been already discussed, then enough already about how nice or how cold leather feels on hineys. Talk about overdone topics! Geesh. All I'm trying to get is feedback on whether other Ody purchases are getting these environmental protections or not during this 2002 Ody buying madness season, and why.

Jason

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did a search before making this post, and found little to answer my questions. Sorry to place a post on topics previously coverded. Obviously, some of us don't know how to use search engine effectively. Don't know about archives. I'm specifically looking at info for the 2002.

Thanks to the rest of you for your posts. I think we'll pass on the "extras".

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jasoninwi:
Your assertion that the rust protection question has been covered before, therefore no longer of concern, isn't fair to other readers because searching the word "rust" garners very little previous discussion, and the topic should evolve as the wave of 2002 purchases occurs. I'm really looking for any informed opinion in regards to the need for such protectives on this still very new model.</font>
I just did a search on the term "rust" and got 49 threads containing the term. Headings include:"Additional rust protection is it needed," "Rust protection," "Still waiting try this - also rustproof question." These are just the headings that matched the topic. Often the discussions are included farther down the topic, as the thread begins to creep. For those, I just open up the thread then use the browser's search capability to find the search term on that page.

Other searches I tried: "salt" (15 threads); "paint protection" (more than 200 matches); "hiney" (none)

I did not intend to portray that these subjects are not of concern. They do concern me because I live in a location where road salt destroys more cars than driving. Rather, I'm just saying that the best answers may have already been provided here- it's just possible that no one (on this forum or anywhere) really knows the answer.

Suggestion: Start a thread with a simple, single focus topic, such as: "Poll - Did you rustproof your snowbelt Ody?" or something like that. I don't believe that a poll has been taken here on this particular topic.

Increasing your interest beyond model year '02 might be more productive, given the the apparent size of the active user community. When we did a poll of all-time color preferences, we got less than five dozen responses. Too, the '02 uses the same body as the '01 (and maybe the '00???).

Doing a search of the internet suggests that most people who support rustproofing either sell the products or just bought them. I can't find any research that says the products actually are a good idea, overall. Maybe they are great but I just can't find the info on the net.

I don't intend to discourage anyone from looking for answers, I'm just suggesting what I think is the most effective approach.

Regards,

Maugham<font color=white><font size=-5><center>

[This message has been edited by Maugham (edited 11-28-2001).]

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

"I don't intend to discourage anyone from looking for answers, I'm just suggesting what I think is the most effective approach."

Clearly you are more comfortable and knowledgable on the usage of this site. For those of us who don't spend large quantities of time here, we aren't as clever. My search on rust garnered 10 threads (and contained no information), which I NOW realize was likely only in the 2002 forum.

What puzzles me now is, why do you care who posts what and where?
I see this as a no harm, no foul situation and I did get my questions answered quickly and effectively, for which I thank you and the others.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I think the Undercoat, rust protection and paint sealant are all a waste of money. The extended warranty you can get from Tracy Dalton at Alton Blakely in KY. Her number is 800-264-3275. I sent her an email at tdabh @ yahoo.com. The extended warranty is $875 for 7/100,000 no deductible. Those power sliding doors were the reason I got it. My dealer wanted $1325 plus tax for the same thing.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by wantanody:
Quote:What puzzles me now is, why do you care who posts what and where?
I see this as a no harm, no foul situation and I did get my questions answered quickly and effectively, for which I thank you and the others.
</font>
Jasoninwi had posted "This is such a great question and one I'm very surprised to find very little postings about."

I suggested a reason why there weren't more responses in that specific thread and I suggested a way to achieve the best answer possible.

This particular topic is indeed important to many people. It seems to be one that is not easily answered. There is no quick one-line reply that is obviously agreeable to all.

There is a delicate balance in online forums such as these between having someone give you the fish versus learning how to catch it yourself. I myself prefer it when someone shows me how to catch the fish, even when I ask to be given one.

"My search on rust garnered 10 threads (and contained no information), which I NOW realize was likely only in the 2002 forum."

I forget to set the scope of the search, too. Often it seems best to do the widest search possible, then fine tune it from there if necessary.

Regards,

Maugham

<center>PS: <font color=red>Variations</font> on the theme <a href="http://www.amatecon.com/fish.html">"Give a man a fish..."</a><font size=-5><font color=beige>

[This message has been edited by Maugham (edited 11-29-2001).]

·
Registered
182 Posts

What puzzles me now is, why do you care who posts what and where?
</font>
As this forum increases in members and number of posts, it takes a lot more time to read them all. So, by doing a little research, some members can save other members time. It's sort of like doing your own homework instead of having your parent do it for you.

I understand the search engine has not always been the best but they are working on it. Perhaps, after that is resolved, a link to instructions on how to do an effective search would help us all.

Please don't not ask questions or offer comments if needed. I would rather see a question repeated that have a member not ask because of thinking it is redundant. I sometimes see questions or comments that I wish I had made but didn't.

On the other hand let's don't kick a dead horse (like I am now doing)

·
Registered
55 Posts

== Is undercoat a good idea? I've promised my beloved I'd drive this for at least 8 years.

--What about paint sealant? My gut says no.

== Rust protection?

-- Is the extended warranty useful? My dealer wants what appears to be an exorbanant amount, for which I won't pay (1250 for 5/100000).

</font>
What I did at the dealer to shut him up was to ask the generic question of "Can I buy these at a later date?" and his response was always "Sure, but you might have to pay a premium for them afterwards." From the responses I've seen regarding extended warranties and the like on this I knew I could buy this stuff later without a problem.

Anyway, I haven't bought any nor do I plan on buying any of them. I have faith in the Honda name and think if after 3/36000 something goes wrong, it's probably because I didn't take that good of care of it. I have a 95 Accord that I haven't done anything but routine maintenance too and my sister is the same way with her 97 civic.

If you want rust protection or something like that, do it after the sale as you can get it a lot cheaper from a 3rd party. The extended warranty is a matter of personal preference and faith in the product your buying whether it be a $300 TV or a $30K van.

Good luck.
Killroy
2002 RRP EXL

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi there,
I just got my '02-EX-L-RES Odyssey and the syupid thing i did is I paid $1000 for extended warranty for 7years/100000miles with 0 deductibles.
Can I cancel this transaction and get for $875 from someone who is offering?

thanxxxxxxxxx
'02-EX-L-RES ODYSSEY
'95-HONDA-ACCORD-LX

·
Registered
368 Posts
Seeyou, yes you can.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts