Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told the charge would be $109.95 + tax.

The parts amount was $57.02; then at the bottom "customer pay shop supplies for repair order $10.99

I replied to their online survey, not satisfied, so they called. Tech claims he told me about the extra which he did NOT

Not a huge amount, disgusted they didn't divulge, and I don't know why the "double charge" for parts???

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,054 Posts
I was told the charge would be $109.95 + tax.

The parts amount was $57.02; then at the bottom "customer pay shop supplies for repair order $10.99

I replied to their online survey, not satisfied, so they called. Tech claims he told me about the extra which he did NOT

Not a huge amount, disgusted they didn't divulge, and I don't know why the "double charge" for parts???
Shop supplies aren't the same as parts. "Shop supplies" is a pretty much standard charge (a small percentage of the bill, usually) that most dealerships and shops apply, apparently in the interest of transparency. It is intended to pay for things the shop uses every day for everyone, like shop towels, plastic seat covers, paper floor mats, cleaning chemicals, etc...

For example, for your transmission drain-and-fill, the shop probably used a couple of shop towels and maybe some degreaser to clean things up. To break out the individual cost of things like that on your bill would look silly, but the shop still has to pay for it. So they spread those costs across everyone's bills under the label "Shop Supplies".

So the tech was telling you the truth when he denied double-charging for parts - he really didn't. I think it would be better if those costs were rolled into a single shop rate, but then you wouldn't get to advertise a lower labour rate while your competitors would.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shop supplies aren't the same as parts. "Shop supplies" is a pretty much standard charge (a small percentage of the bill, usually) that most dealerships and shops apply, apparently in the interest of transparency. It is intended to pay for things the shop uses every day for everyone, like shop towels, plastic seat covers, paper floor mats, cleaning chemicals, etc...

For example, for your transmission drain-and-fill, the shop probably used a couple of shop towels and maybe some degreaser to clean things up. To break out the individual cost of things like that on your bill would look silly, but the shop still has to pay for it. So they spread those costs across everyone's bills under the label "Shop Supplies".

So the tech was telling you the truth when he denied double-charging for parts - he really didn't. I think it would be better if those costs were rolled into a single shop rate, but then you wouldn't get to advertise a lower labour rate while your competitors would.
Thanks for the clarification!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts