Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, we're in the early stages of buying a Odyssey EX-L and just back from our nearest Dealer. The person who took us out for the test drive was pretty clueless. *I* was explaining features that I saw mentioned here to the salesperson. Ok, they were new, but don't the dealers have any kind of training for new sales people or do they just shove 'em out there?

They only had the EX-L w/ NAV and I wanted to know if the rear camera backup gizmo came standard with the EX-L. Salesperson #1 said they didn't think so. The head guy then made an appearance and "settled" the matter definitively by stating that no, only the NAV model had this feature.

Everything I can find online says just the opposite. Who's right?

Final question, I forgot to ask whether the sliding door windows roll down. I assume they do but can't find that particular detail anywhere-- either on Honda's site or searching the net.

Aaarrggghhhh... only 1 day and already my dealer-phobia syndrome is starting to kick in... :rollingeyes:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I cannot answer on the back up camera since I do not have that option but as for the sliding doors yes the windows should roll down. I have an 06 and they do. Unless for some reason the stopped doing so on the newer models they should still roll down. good luck with the dealer

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[With apologies, given this is 2012 Odyssey specific question, I'm reposing here having originally posted in the "General" section]

Well, we're in the early stages of buying a Odyssey EX-L and just back from our nearest Dealer. The person who took us out for the test drive was pretty clueless. *I* was explaining features that I saw mentioned here to the salesperson. Ok, they were new, but don't the dealers have any kind of training for new sales people or do they just shove 'em out there?

They only had the EX-L w/ NAV and I wanted to know if the rear camera backup gizmo came standard with the EX-L. Salesperson #1 said they didn't think so. The head guy then made an appearance and "settled" the matter definitively by stating that no, only the NAV model had this feature.

Everything I can find online says just the opposite. Who's right?

Final question, I forgot to ask whether the sliding door windows roll down. I assume they do but can't find that particular detail anywhere-- either on Honda's site or searching the net.

Aaarrggghhhh... only 1 day and already my dealer-phobia syndrome is starting to kick in... :rollingeyes:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2012 EX-L Nav Question

You can follow this link and on the left center side you will see documents that will show you what models have what.
2012 Honda Odyssey Overview - Official Honda Site

Check the last page of the Brochure.

EX-L the camera is available as an add-on but not standard.

Thanks, but that's actually the source of my confusion. I did see that in the brochure, but on this web page: 2012 Honda Odyssey - Specifications - Official Honda Site under Comfort & Convenience they list that the Honda Satellite-Linked Navigation System™ with Voice Recognition, FM Traffic and Multi-Angle Rearview Camera with Guidelines is "Available".

But further down that same page, under Rearview Camera with Guidelines they list as "Without Navigation".

Does this mean the cam is standard, but just without the Navigation? Perhaps on the i-MID with 8" WQVGA (480x320) Screen? That would work for me, but it's just not clear from the descriptions. Hopefully an EX-L owner will jump in here...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Thanks, but that's actually the source of my confusion. I did see that in the brochure, but on this web page: 2012 Honda Odyssey - Specifications - Official Honda Site under Comfort & Convenience they list that the Honda Satellite-Linked Navigation System™ with Voice Recognition, FM Traffic and Multi-Angle Rearview Camera with Guidelines is "Available".

But further down that same page, under Rearview Camera with Guidelines they list as "Without Navigation".

Does this mean the cam is standard, but just without the Navigation? Perhaps on the i-MID with 8" WQVGA (480x320) Screen? That would work for me, but it's just not clear from the descriptions. Hopefully an EX-L owner will jump in here...
See what you're saying. I think it means you get it in the EX-L without Nav as it is not listed that way for the LX or EX. But, if you get the optional Nav you also get it.

Just my take on it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
...I did see that in the brochure, but on this web page: 2012 Honda Odyssey - Specifications - Official Honda Site under Comfort & Convenience they list that the Honda Satellite-Linked Navigation System™ with Voice Recognition, FM Traffic and Multi-Angle Rearview Camera with Guidelines is "Available".
I believe the MULTI-ANGLE rear view camera is different than the standard "single-view" rear view camera.

An easy way to find out is to get the salesperson to put a KEY in the ignition and shift the non-nav model in reverse....

·
Registered
174 Posts
My EX-L is without NAV, and it has a single view backup camera. It was standard equipment on this level.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Ex-L's without have a standard single view backup camera and the EX-L Navi has a multi angle backup camera. Also, the sliding doors windows do roll down but will stop with about 6" of the window still showing. Just thought I'd point out they don't roll all the way down

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Backing up

Ex-L's without have a standard single view backup camera and the EX-L Navi has a multi angle backup camera. Also, the sliding doors windows do roll down but will stop with about 6" of the window still showing. Just thought I'd point out they don't roll all the way down
Great-- thanks much for the info. Thanks again as well to everyone who responded.

We're about an hour from the nearest dealer and given the clulessness of our first dealer foray I figure it's to my advantagee to know the answers to these types of questions going in. Especially when I can challenge the salesperson by proving that I know more than they do about what they're trying to sell me. :DD

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Too often sales people know very little about the car they sell.
Bummer you had a bad experience if you had to drive so far.

Knowing all the gadgets won't help you too much when talking price make sure you check edmunds and truecar to get a price for your car.

Good luck

·
Registered
174 Posts
Defnintely know what you want BEFORE you go into the dealership. As Phil indicated, know what edmunds and truecar have to say about pricing, but I believe these vehicles can be had reasonably at invoice or very close. That still leaves the dealer some profit (invoice does not equal dealer cost), but they may cry and whine before they give in. Let them know you are ready to walk.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts