Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a P0240 check engine code within 10 miles of the dealer on the same day I purchased my used 2007 EX-L.

I immediately called the dealer and told them what happened. They seemed apologetic and said they would check it out. Dealer told me of course they would replace the catalytic converter and I would not be charged. Sounds great so far.

I dropped the vehicle off very early in the morning and they did not get around to my van until very late in the day and only after I called multiple times. I went to pick the van up and they said they replaced the cat and a few other parts (I have the labor sheet stating what was done).

I'm a bit of a gearhead and so I go under the van to check out their handywork later that evening. Everything looks as it did and the cat has bolts that are very rusty. The check engine light is no longer on, but I cannot see any place where there was work done.

It seems to me that a new part would be very noticeable and the bolts would not be completely rusted. How should I approach this situation?

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Take a picture of the cat and post it here.

New cat of course looks brand-new.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The parts they list that were replaced are:

18115-RCA-A01 Gasket, EX. Chamber
18212-SA7-003 Gasket, EX. Pipe
18290-RGL-A00 Converter, RR

Is the converter listed above the one just forward of the two massive mufflers?

If that is the correct one, here are the pics I took of it. Note how rusted the nuts are in the third pic. There is no way that was disassembled today.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Scam. Dealer did NOT replace the cat!

Is this a Honda dealer or non-Honda dealer?

PS: If this is covered by Honda USA, this is one way the local dealer makes money by scamming Honda USA>
If this is not a Honda dealer, then they scam the Honda-Care company.

Anyway, pure scam.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Scam. Dealer did NOT replace the cat!

Is this a Honda dealer or non-Honda dealer?

PS: If this is covered by Honda USA, this is one way the local dealer makes money by scamming Honda USA>
If this is not a Honda dealer, then they scam the Honda-Care company.

Anyway, pure scam.
They are an Acura dealer that is owned by the same individual that owns a very large honda dealership. So the above part they listed is definitely the one I'm looking at in the pics?

This is ridiculous. Any thoughts on how to go about this, who I should talk to, and how to show them my findings?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Im interested! 'though i have no idea on how you can deal with those thief!! My best bet is BBB..

Please keep us posted!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Can someone please chime in and say whether there are any other cats on this vehicle? I did notice near the front end where the exhaust pipe turns vertical, there is another catalytic converter like device. When I google the part the dealer says they replaced (18290-RGL-A00), the image shows a part that looks much different than the cat in front of the muffler. I'm wanting to be 100% solid on this before I go off accusing someone of flat out lying/stealing.

Edit:

I found the part listed above on ebay.

New Genuine Honda Odyssey Catalytic Converter | eBay

Notice in the description it states that this part is close to the backside of the engine near the firewall. This part number matches what they claim to have replaced. Maybe the one near the muffler is a different catalytic converter/part?

·
Registered
47 Posts
There are 3 cats in the van. The part number you listed, is for the cat that is right behind the engine. I believe the picture you posted, is the one under the car.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There are 3 cats in the van. The part number you listed, is for the cat that is right behind the engine. I believe the picture you posted, is the one under the car.

Hope that helps.
Thanks! That does help. I edited my above post before seeing your reply. I found out that there was indeed one near the engine and it matches what they say they replaced. I will check it out tomorrow. Always good to be 100% certain on these matters and that's why I'm glad I came here first and did some research.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
If you want to take pictures of any car chassis, go to places like JiffyLube (not for oil change but only to use their setup). Pay them $5, and ask them if you could go down the bottom (where the tech changes oil).

Snap pictures from below the JiffyLube service bay, it will give you picture angles of the chassis that cannot be done at home.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
If you want to take pictures of any car chassis, go to places like JiffyLube (not for oil change but only to use their setup). Pay them $5, and ask them if you could go down the bottom (where the tech changes oil).

Snap pictures from below the JiffyLube service bay, it will give you picture angles of the chassis that cannot be done at home.
Have you ever tried that? Seems to me that liability comes int play and I doubt their insurance will allow customers in their work area.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Have you ever tried that? Seems to me that liability comes int play and I doubt their insurance will allow customers in their work area.
Yes, all it takes is 15 seconds snapping pictures.
It is pretty safe down there.
All you need is the manager's approval to do so.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The grease monkey looking at a $5 cash bonus for his day's labor is not going to be over concerned with liability.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts