Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up with the prices I get quoted at my local dealership? Is there a policy where they can charge more than the list price? BTW, Majestic Honda shows the list price on their website. Example: inner tie rod #53010-S0X-A01. Local dealer said it was $81.xx. I protested and said the list price is $66.70. So then they admit that is the list price and deal done. Can the dealer charge more than the corporate list price on parts?

Todd K.

·
Registered
25 Posts
the dealer can charge whatever they want for parts, but you don't HAVE to pay what they tell you. I have NEVER paid what they asked me to pay for a part. I'll either say, "will you match prices with another dealer," which they usually do at John Eagle or just say straight up, "whats the best price you can do?" which works decently at Goodson (West: I-10; North: I-45). buying parts at the dealer is just like buying a car, everything is negotiable.

I have found John Eagle has the best price for filters, being $.50 cheaper than Bernadi (after shipping), even without haggling price. I bought 6 last time and the manager gave me 10% off.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Touch up paint. Online: $6.95. List: $7.95. My dealer: $14.95.

I said: "Forget it. You just gave me a price nearly double the list."
Counter guy: "Oh, you know the list price? OK, how about $10.95"
I said: "Apparently you think I'm bad at math. Goodbye."

·
Registered
5 Posts
It is considered normal to use "matrix" pricing for service department and over the counter customers. Usually this is a policy that comes straight from the owner/management and trust me they will watch a counter guys percentages to make sure they hit a certain target. Trust me some of us would rather just sell for retail. I will always try to price match something as long as it is a reasonable price or I can verify it, but more often than not it's just somebody spouting BS. Definitely if you are not a jerk I try to help out.

·
Registered
84 Posts
When I need parts from the dealership, I look up the part(s) online on my phone and walk in ready to go. 9 times out of 10 they'll price match.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts