Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the cross post, but there does not seem to be much activity in the "Dealer Stories" forum.

---------------

What's up with the prices I get quoted at my local dealership? Is there a policy where they can charge more than the list price? BTW, Majestic Honda shows the list price on their website. Example: inner tie rod #53010-S0X-A01. Local dealer said it was $81.xx. I protested and said the list price is $66.70. So then they admit that is the list price and deal done. Can the dealer charge more than the corporate list price on parts?

Todd K.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I don't think there's any law against it. Dealers are artists at the ripoff game because many think the dealer is better.

Example: The dealer wants $23 for the same exact # NGK sparkplug as you can get at your local
auto store for $9. You could probably find the same tie rod for alot less too.

·
Registered
539 Posts
You have to be very careful with some of the online sites. There are many dealers online which offer great discounts over the list prices. However, the converse is also true. I have found a few Honda dealers in the Seattle/Portland area that have set their online parts prices HIGHER than their walk-in over-the-counter prices! Buyer beware!

·
Registered
9,227 Posts
The dealer usually has the most expensive parts because of the high operating cost of a dealership. That huge showroom makes very little money, yet costs a lot for utilities, taxes, etc. Parts and service subsidize sales.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
There is no such thing as a fixed 'list' prich. The manufacturer takes his cost and addes his markup, then all the middle sellers it goes through add there mark up and set their 'list price'. So everyone has a 'list price' whoch can be anything they want it to be.

·
Registered
189 Posts
this is true at my local stealer. I needed a part, online, cost me $50 shipped, at the local stealer - $80+tax. Ill wait for the shipped part to get here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts