Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to my dealer today. Paid $139 to replace pads and turn rotors; theychecked the rear brakes and they were fine. They told me I need to also replace a rear engine mount for $392, flush power steering for $109, flush brakes at $100, (fix tranny leak, replace passenger axle boot, replace oil pump with timing package for $1,222.95) How critical are these and do these prices sound right ? I planned on replacing timing and water pump at 195,000. This is a 2001 EX with 184,000 miles and I cannot afford to replace the van right now, only repair it. Thanks.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Call around to other shops. These things can be done at an independent shop for half of that price. You could do the power steering yourself for 20 bucks.

The engine mount can be a pain if you don't have the right tools.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I'm in a rush, but here are my thoughts. You got a good price on the front brake job, so maybe your dealer is not a crook. None of the prices you list sound outrageous to me, but my concern would be, which of that really needs to be done. If that is your first timing belt, of course that must be done. I do not know when the second timing belt would be due. Has your front mount been replaced? To me, that one is more critical than the rear. The rear is probably the most difficult to replace, so maybe that price is not bad, if it needs to be done. What symptom do you have to indicate a bad oil pump? Again, get a second opinion. As for power steering fluid, that is a DIY job, but maybe just sucking the fuild out and replacing it three time will work instead of flushing. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
664 Posts
how is 109 dollars for 1 maybe two quarts of fluid to be changed not a terrible price? All you gotta do is disconnect 1 end and pump the fluid out via starting engine. Slightly messy way to do it. A cleaner method would be to use a hose and suck out the old stuff, add in more.

As for the brake job, its not a bad price. Its the other stuff they want to do thats killing you. Price this stuff out at other places.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Flushing out the brake fluid is easy also. I suck out all I can from the master cylinder. remove and clean the screen in there, be sure to dry it well. Then just refill with new brake fluid any DOT 3 will do just be sure it's from a new bottle. The final steep is to bleed all the brakes I remove at least 10 oz or so from each wheel as long as you keep fluid in the master cylinder and don't let it run dry all you need to do is open the bleeder screw and let gravity do the rest. Total cost is about $10 for 2 quarts of fluid and about an hour of your time!

I'm not sure how bad the leak is in the transmission if it only drips a bit just make sure to check the level and keep it full. I find that changing the fluid in the transmission is EASIER then changing the oil takes me 3 quart 6oz to do a drain and fill and I don't even need to lift the van or use ramps!

·
Registered
463 Posts
gregersonke, I agree, the pwr fluid change price is way too high and I should have taken the time to specifically point that out. But, as I said, I was in a rush and I was just trying to help out.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Transmission leaks are common on the return line. Try tightening up the bolt about 1/4 turn.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts