Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!

My 2005 Ody has 102k miles now so it's time for the timing belt service. I e-mailed several Honda dealers around me here in NC and the lowest quote I received was $715 OTD (taxes/fees included) for timing belt, water pump, coolant, drive belts and tensioner. This dealer said if tensioner does not need replacing, it'll be $585 OTD. Is it beneficial to replace the tensioner even if it does not need replacing? Dealer said typically they don't replace that. They will do the extended warranty PS pump work free at the same time and I'll get a free loaner as well. Is it a good price?

I thought about buying the parts online and use an independent shop or mechanic for labor only but I don't know how much I would save by doing so. For oil change, brake pads, tranny oil, etc I typically buy parts and go to a mechanic who will provide inexpensive labor but I'm not sure about have him do this major maintenance work.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
158 Posts
On my 01 (which I did myself in 2009) and my friends 02- which we did last year - we did the idler, tensioner and adjuster along with the belt and water pump. I figured I was in there so might as well get it done. Cost me about $200 in parts and 6 hours in labor - 2 years later on the 02 was only 5 hours labor and about $225 in parts. The price you got is decent - we priced his last year for tb and pump only in cincinnati at $560 or so.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Here's the thing, those parts may look like they're in great shape but the last thing you want to do is be on a road trip and find out that it's not. Then, you're paying for someone to go back in there and replace the part, you're paying labor twice. Just do it while the tech is in there replacing other parts. As for price, that's really not bad, when I compare it to what you would pay here in Orlando.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies everyone. I picked up my Odyssey from the dealer today and they did not replace the tensioner so I ended up paying $585 for the job. Good thing is that they did two recall/extended warranty items while the van is in the shop, PS pump and front brake master cylinder including PS fluid and brake fluid flush which is a definite plus and I also saved time.

They advised spark plug and frond brake pad replacement soon but I'll buy parts and have this done by third party mechanic.

Any recommendation for the brake pads and spark plugs? By the way, the brake pads have never been replaced before so they lasted a good while, 102k+ miles.

·
Super Moderator
13,638 Posts
May I ask what dealer and where in NC? Need to get this done for da Accord. :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi
I am going over doing the TB on my "04". I was wondering if it it quite clear to you as to where the marks are on the crank/camshaft TDC. I never did a TB belt but I am very much able to tackle most repairs. I have this bizarre fear of misalignment and seizing engine

any thoughts from you much appreciated.
I assume you are like myself a DIY guy.

thnaks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey dvpatel,

Modern Honda in Winston-Salem, NC (near Greensboro) is the dealer I went to. John Brinson is asst service manager who gave me the price.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts