Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, I have an 2013 EX-L and need an extra key. should I buy an uncut FOB $40 / $14 valet type key off Amazon or pay $150 from Locksmith? Will the link below work to program myself? I hear the dealer/locksmith use a handheld programmer? What is accurate? Thankyou for ya'll help!

·
Registered
34 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did your fob break, or is it lost? My fob broke so I bought this from Amazon for $8:

I transferred the innerds from the broken fob and took it to my dealer who cut it from the VIN for $20. I'm sure if you bought the full remote they would program it also for a reasonable charge.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I need an extra key, I only have 1 main key.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Keep in mind that although the FOB and key appear to be one piece, there are actually two pieces involved. One is the physical key with transponder chip. The second piece is the fob head. You can program the fob head yourself and that will allow the remote functions to work to lock/unlock, panic, open slider doors, etc. But that is SEPARATE from the key and immobilizer chip. You still will NOT be able to start the van with only the fob programmed. The key and immobilizer have to be programmed to the car by the dealer using the HDS scan tool. That's your issue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No way around it..paid 150 for basic key no buttons. 40 blank,45 laser cut and 65 for locksmith to use his computer connected to car to program key to car and sends an internet signal to confirm program w honda? PS, key w buttons 190, yet to get that..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Not a great price, but not a bad price either. It'd be tough to find much cheaper.

At least you found a locksmith to do it. Not having much luck in that department. Dealer will though....sigh....

·
Registered
506 Posts
Do you have an Ace Hardware local to you? Some of them cut and program keys/fobs. My local store does but never bought one so don't know the cost. Has to be cheaper than the dealership though:

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you have an Ace Hardware local to you? Some of them cut and program keys/fobs. My local store does but never bought one so don't know the cost. Has to be cheaper than the dealership though:

Ace,depot,lowes,etc do not do laser type cutting. Only locksmiths and dealers do laser cutting. Poopoo!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Ace,depot,lowes,etc do not do laser type cutting. Only locksmiths and dealers do laser cutting. Poopoo!
Depends on the store, and if they have the equipment. I know because my local Ace cut the blank I bought off Amazon for me.

·
Registered
2012 EX-L, >119k miles, VCM Tuner, Honda tow pkg.
714 Posts
Got the blank key from ebay for about $10, had it cut for $20 at the local Ace, and transferred the innards. No special dealer-only programming was needed. The Ace key cutting is not laser and therefore not as smooth-looking as a dealer but it works just fine. And the grinding marks will wear off over time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got the blank key from ebay for about $10, had it cut for $20 at the local Ace, and transferred the innards. No special dealer-only programming was needed. The Ace key cutting is not laser and therefore not as smooth-looking as a dealer but it works just fine. And the grinding marks will wear off over time.
So the key u got from ace is cut on the sides(picture) or top and bottom of key old style? Does your key look like this:

·
Registered
2012 EX-L, >119k miles, VCM Tuner, Honda tow pkg.
714 Posts
Yes, same as shown in pic. The Ace rep referred to this as a sidewinder key and their machine can do these. They also had blanks in stocks but I brought my own from ebay purchase.

If I had known they also sell the blanks I would have just bought it at the store.

Edit: I suggest calling the local store and inquiring before taking them a key. Lowes, HD, and a different hardware store did not have the sidewinder key machine.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Here is one of my oem keys (left) next to the key Ace cut (right).

Just check your local store online and check if it has "Auto Key Progamming and Cutting" listed under store services.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks I will look into this!

Just check your local store online and check if it has "Auto Key Progamming and Cutting" listed under store services.

Great I just spend 150 at a locksmith week ago..oh well, guess I'll be getting spares from ace for now on. Just got off phone w them and confirmed 👍

1 - 15 of 15 Posts