Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really? 30k? Maybe I'm too accustomed to Toyotas but that seems waaay early to be needing a tranny flush.

I'd generally blow it off and move on but with the recent tranny software update they performed, and what I read around here of tranny-related problems, it has me second guessing myself and leaning towards letting them do it when the time comes (27k right now).

Thoughts?

·
Registered
369 Posts
#1 - Honda doesnt do flushes. Ask what they are doing exactly.

If you've never dropped 3qts of ATF and replaced, your over due.

My UOA's performed by Blackstone Labs confirm we should be dropping 3qts and replacing every 15k. This includes nearly all Honda's, even Accords and Civics!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I could have put words in his mouth I suppose - I don't remember if he specifically said 'flush' or not.

I didn't realize Hondas needed that sort of AT fluid maintenance! I guess I'll price them out after all the next time we get the oil changed.

Thanks.

·
Registered
482 Posts
RinconVTR said:
#1 - Honda doesnt do flushes. Ask what they are doing exactly.

If you've never dropped 3qts of ATF and replaced, your over due.

My UOA's performed by Blackstone Labs confirm we should be dropping 3qts and replacing every 15k. This includes nearly all Honda's, even Accords and Civics!
i'm doing 4 x drain and fills every 50,000km (32,000 miles) on both my hondas. a little overkill but better more fluid changes than less

·
Registered
346 Posts
it's $50 for a 3 qt change at my closest dealer, plus only $10 for oil changes, so a $60 bill every 4th oil change seems like cheap insurance to me. (some charge $30 or more just for oil, so this is more than fair)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
homer's van said:
it's $50 for a 3 qt change at my closest dealer, plus only $10 for oil changes, so a $60 bill every 4th oil change seems like cheap insurance to me. (some charge $30 or more just for oil, so this is more than fair)
Wow, $37 for the oil change here at Honda. Sometimes our Toyota dealer does $19 oil change specials but you end up waiting so long it's not worth it.

·
Registered
309 Posts
My dealer would be happy to lift $600 out of your wallet every 5000 miles with "recommended" service that no one NEEDS.

Keep your eye on them and don't trust them. Checking here is a great idea.

Since I had my torque converter replaced, then did put all new fluid in the system. I am going with the 3 quart change every other oil change. This method seems cheap an effective and I will do the labor myself.

As for the $10 oil change. I have seen plenty of shops around here offer that via coupon.

Anyone I know that has used it always gets hit with a laundry list of other things the car needs while in for the oil change.

Many times these other items are explained as - Well the car isn't safe to drive unless you let us do this work -

The $10 oil change is a lost leader and shops hope you will pay for whatever other work they find and the really dishonest $10 oil change places create problems with your car (like over tightening the oil pan bolt and claiming your brought the car in that way)

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
kenny1773 said:
...Since I had my torque converter replaced, then did put all new fluid in the system. ...
kenny,

When did your TC fail?

Did it fail at 50K, 75K, 100K or more?

I am just curious because I have a 2007 as well!

·
Registered
309 Posts
cnn said:
kenny,

When did your TC fail?

Did it fail at 50K, 75K, 100K or more?

I am just curious because I have a 2007 as well!
It's hard to say exactly when as I bought the van used and it had failed before I bought it.

I bought it at 50k, there was evidence of one trans fluid change before I bought it.

I got a low price due to couple things like this being wrong with it and I knew it was still under warranty. I kept my old car for few months to get the bugs worked out on the Ody

So far, everything has gone about as expected. I just hope the TC replacement fixed it for good. I will replace the trans fluid every other oil change from this point out :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
The dealer just did a flush and fill for transmission on my 2004 (and it was a flush) - this was at about 64000. I had a drain and fill at about 40,000. Did it now because the fluid was really dirty and also have been experiencing the "shutter" at 30-40mph.

Hoping the transmission does not fail.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts