Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went to my dealer and showed them the lid of the air bag is coming unglued from the main console. They ran it up the chain and said that they are not going to fix it!!! What is my recourse? Call Honda?

It is very similar to the following TSB, but they said that my VIN range is not included, and so they refuse to fix it. Regardless, my dash is coming apart and they refuse to fix it!!!

http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/A09-017.PDF

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
The TSB states ALL 2010s are included. Try another dealer? They may be getting tired of all your warranty claims. ;)

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
New Dad New Van said:
The TSB states ALL 2010s are included.
But according to his signature (and his avatar) he is driving an 07.

·
Super Moderator
1,175 Posts
curiousgeorge2 said:
So I went to my dealer and showed them the lid of the air bag is coming unglued from the main console. They ran it up the chain and said that they are not going to fix it!!! What is my recourse? Call Honda?

It is very similar to the following TSB, but they said that my VIN range is not included, and so they refuse to fix it. Regardless, my dash is coming apart and they refuse to fix it!!!

http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/A09-017.PDF
Please post a pic of your issue for us if you can.

Since you have a 2007 Ody and it is not covered by TSB 09-017 (as of yet), I would call Honda customer service and advise them of your issue.

If your issue is indeed the same as that in the TSB, then Honda will likely update the TSB to include the 2007 models.

If your Ody is past the 3yr/36K mile warranty, I can see the resistance from your dealer.

Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I have 26K miles and its only 31 months since I purchased.

I also have the 8 year 120K extended warranty.

I guess I have to call Honda Care...

·
Registered
142 Posts
At 31 months, 26K miles, your standard factory warranty is still in effect. Warranties don't cover normal wearable parts. An air bag cover in NOT a wearable part! TSB or not, Honda should be picking up the tab for this repair. What was the reason they gave for not fixing it?

·
Registered
369 Posts
If they deem it to be a cosmetic issue only, well this is tough call. Under the 3/36 warrenty, just about any flaw is usually covered. Call Honda, be nice, and see where you get.

·
Registered
194 Posts
With your first 3 year warranty, they should be fixing it. Warranty is a contract that is written in black and white, not based on the words coming out of some kid standing behind the counter. If he/she denies the work, you can nicely ask them to show you in black and white where in the contract it says it's not covered. If you get no response, ask for the service manager, and if that doesn't satisfy you, ask for the GM. Do it professionally and you will get a response.

As for the TSB, it is written for 08-2010 BUT it does not mean they don't have to fix a 2007 that's under warranty. The purpose of a TSB is to 'advise' the dealer how to fix a particular problem for a given model. Basically it's to help them expedite a repair quickly without having to figure out how to fix something. This does not mean they don't have to fix your problem for your year if its under warranty.

By the way, my 2008 is waiting on the part to come in for the same fix. I was in the dealer this past Saturday and was told the replacement part they got was little scratched and they will have to order another air bag lid. For wasting my one hour that morning, my service advisor told me my next oil change will be free.

I would highly recommend you try another dealer if there is one nearby. A dealer makes majority of its money from the service department (not sales department), it's time you take your business elsewhere.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
ody2ody said:
Warranty is a contract that is written in black and white, not based on the words coming out of some kid standing behind the counter.
If only life were that simple. Nothing is black and white....this is from my warranty book:

This New Vehicle Limited Warranty Does Not Cover: Any item concerning your vehicle's general appearance that is not due to a defect in material or workmanship.

Not that I think it is right, but I could see a dealership arguing this was an appearance item, not covered by warranty.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I called Honda. They told me they will contact the service manager and get back to me within a week.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
New Dad New Van said:
They may be getting tired of all your warranty claims. ;)
I think you are right.

But screw them! Every issue I have brought to them has been a legitimate issue (you'll see in my signature) I'm getting tired of all the issues I've had to bring them. I've never had a Honda with this many issues, and some of my Accords have been 19 years old, and this is a new car!

·
Registered
81 Posts
TSB or not they should fix it being under the bumper to bumper warranty. I took mine in because my jeans were turning the leather blue and they fixed it. I'm sure they thought it was petty, but for the price you pay for these vans nothing should be wrong with it. I just had the airbag gap tsb fixed and I still see a gap, so I might just go back as well.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yesterday I get a call from my service rep, that I need to meet with the Service Manager. The Service manager takes a 5 second look and says "you need a new air bag cover", goes back to his office, and orders it, and tells me that he will call me to give me an update on when it will be here.

Now was that so difficult????? Why didn't they do that the other 2 times I showed them the issue???

I hate being a complainer and a tattle tale just to get things done, but this definitely shook them up enough to get things done.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Unfortunately, I did not take any "before" photos.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts