Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Called the service department of the dealer I bought my car from. Told them I purchased a remote start kit (the Honda one) elsewhere and would like them to install for me. They said they can't install it if it wasn't purchased from them! Is this normal?!

·
Registered
755 Posts
well if its a honda oem kit, then i dont see the reason not to install it for you there.

if its their product then they should honor it, with some labor charges. see if you have

any other honda dealership around you and check there.

·
Registered
197 Posts
You specify you bought the Honda brand remote start kit. I can't imagine why a dealer would not want to take your money to install a part they already know how to install. A third party part I could see, since they have no experience with it and no desire to figure it out. But, a Honda brand one? Too bad for them, give your money to a different dealer.

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
They are being spiteful for not making additional profit from selling the kit. Look for a dealer who is more hungry for business. Is there any possibility there are knock-off Honda parts going around? (Not saying your kit is such.) Seems like just about everything is cloned in China these days and then sold to us as the real thing.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I'd be shocked if the next Honda dealer you called turned it down.

Your dealer must be doing quite well if they're willing to let revenue walk out the door. They could of been just ignorant and quoted you a ridiculous price instead of looking foolish

·
Registered
194 Posts
Actually when it comes to such a complicated piece of electronic add-on, the dealer is covering there own butt for not installing it. Even though it's a Honda part, the dealer that will be installing it did not sell it, so they cannot provide warranty on the part. Only you can pursue any type of warranty (only if the seller is willing since they can easily say you or someone else installed it incorrectly).

Here is a scenario that can happen. They spend the 2-3 hours installing it, and find out there is a problem with the part (just because it has a Honda name on it does not mean it can't fail). So now they have to pull it out and spend another 1 hour doing so. Say you take the part back and warranty it yourself, after you get a replacement, they spend another 1-2 hours installing. So will you be willing to pay the 5-6 hours of total labor? Lets say if it works from the get-go, then 6 months later, it fails, who is going to pay for the diagnostic, removal, repair. They don't want to be in the position to argue with you if something bad happens.

Trust me, if you went in there and asked 'Can I pay you to help me install some mud flaps?' Their answer will be YES.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My dealership said, "yes"

I went through this exact same scenario. I ordered the parts online from another Honda dealership, but after reading the instructions got a little nervous. I called the dealer that sold me the van to see if they would install the remote starter. Their only question was whether or not I had opened the boxes that the parts came in, which I hadn't. They said, "no problem", and I was even able to get a discount because I was a returning customer -- $256 for the installation.

All in all, saved about $300 from my dealers original quote.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Here is a scenario that can happen. They spend the 2-3 hours installing it, and find out there is a problem with the part (just because it has a Honda name on it does not mean it can't fail). So now they have to pull it out and spend another 1 hour doing so. Say you take the part back and warranty it yourself, after you get a replacement, they spend another 1-2 hours installing. So will you be willing to pay the 5-6 hours of total labor? Lets say if it works from the get-go, then 6 months later, it fails, who is going to pay for the diagnostic, removal, repair. They don't want to be in the position to argue with you if something bad happens.

Based on your scenario, I can see why they would decline. They don't want to accept liability (and cost) down the road.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts