Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this what I think ? 2003 ody lx 80,000 miles. Wife's car. I am driving down the road and notice D on shift lite fading. I watch and sometimes it fades when shifting and other times not.I arrive at home and ody will shift from park to drive ,but will not manually shift to 1st or 2nd gear. No hard shift or pause ,no others problems. Will I be dead in the water soon?

·
Registered
1 Posts
My neighbor's Ody did the same thing today, except the vehicle would not move, but lower gears "locked out". It left him stranded on the side of the road with his mom (in a walker) and two kids. He had it towed home, we checked the fluid, it's overfull and burnt. I'm no tranny expert but a fairly good shadetree mechanic, I told him I'd help. Looking for diagnosis help on the symptoms and even direction to helpful mechanical links (how to, pictures etc)... I've been searching and looking here and I'm finding mostly just complaining and comments about how much Honda paid to replace with a reman. unit. I'm not interested in that, I want to fix the issue.

Everything supposedly worked fine up to now (not my van)... HELP PLEASE!

·
Registered
6,077 Posts
Is this what I think ? 2003 ody lx 80,000 miles. Wife's car. I am driving down the road and notice D on shift lite fading. I watch and sometimes it fades when shifting and other times not.I arrive at home and ody will shift from park to drive ,but will not manually shift to 1st or 2nd gear. No hard shift or pause ,no others problems. Will I be dead in the water soon?
A fading D light is OK. A blinking D light is not.

To shift P-R-N-D you pull the shift handle/lever toward you and then down (like on any other car).

To go to D3, D2 and D1, you need to push the shift lever straight down (i.e. don’t pull it toward you). Just put your palm on it and push downward and maybe slightly away from you (towards dash).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts