Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don’t know about the rest of you, but I’m getting my defective LCD screen replaced because it has a dead pixel (haven’t taken the time to count with a magnifying glass if there’s more than one) almost dead center of the 7” screen. My dealer has a replacement on order since the night I picked up the '02 van and I spotted it when they turned the DVD player on. He said it’d be covered under warrantee, though I’ve not heard back about the replacement yet and it’s been about 4 weeks. Hmm ...

Also, is this some recent phenomena, or did all those folks that have the iVES system installed all get perfect screens, or have they not notice any problems?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Razorback:
The red dot you are referring to is a stuck pixel on the LCD.

Our RES has a stuck blue pixel.

You will find that notebook computers, flat panel monitors, etc. all tend of have a couple of these.

It's due to the difficulties manufacturing LCD panels. The industry usually says if you have less than 5 stuck pixels on a typical notebook computer screen, then it is "normal" (which measures between 13"-15").

I would say on the 7" screen, Honda isn't going to replace the screen unless there are 3 or more dead pixels. That is just my guess, but that would follow industry practice.

I know it is annoying, but you may be fighting an uphill battle if you try to get it replaced!

Greg
</font>
I appreciate this insight into LCD panel manufacturing. Unfortunately, I worked specing, buying, installing, and then supporting the entire network, including more laptops than I can count for 13 years, and nobody, not a single end user, would have accepted one with a defective screen. They’d have had me up on conspiracy charges faster than they can reboot their way out of a running application.

Nobody wants to hear what the “industry standard” rate of producing failures is; mine had better be perfect. Let some other schlep driving a Kia minivan stare at a defective LCD screen till it gives him a migraine. Intel and AMD grow a lot of bad silicone, but you don’t hear them saying, “Oh, it only miscalculates your account balance every 13thousandth time.” No, they trash the defects and tighten the production mechanism. It’s not like this is some new technology. They’ve been doing 8 to 15 inch screens for a long time now, and you rarely see a bad one from the better PC manufacturers, and when you do it gets replaced.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tony the Tiger:
A stuck pixel is actually a defect on the screen and you should have the dealer replace the screen. Any laptop computer with a deal pixel is usually end up in the refurbished item section of a store.

Tony the Tiger
</font>
I think Tony the Tiger was right; the defective ones end up on the discount shelf at some big computer super chain. That’s where mine’s going, if I have anything to say about it.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Razorback:
Tony,

That's not entirely true. I work in the industry and usually 5 stuck pixels or less is considered OK unless they are all in one spot.

I would say two-three stuck pixels in random locations on the 7" screen, while annoying, won't be replaced.

Greg</font>
Razorback ... you unwitting pawn of the oppressor, unite with the proletariat ... with US, your brothers, your fellow workers, your fellow Honda Odyssey owners ... and DEMAND replacement screens for the PEOPLE!
------------------------------------------------------------------
’86 Civic – gone
, but not forgotten
’90 4Runner – great, but lacking for a family of 5
’02 GG Odyssey EX-L-RES – hello, my new best friend

tnuckels

·
Registered
564 Posts
I had my last Kodak digital camera replaced because of one stuck pixel too. The vendor said one stuck pixel is "normal." When I called Kodak to complain, they said to send it back immediately - that they didn't want "defective" product out there with their name on it. Go figure.

To me it's like this: It is normal for cars to have some small scratches on them, but I'm sure has heck not going to pay for a NEW one with scratches on it.

------------------
-= Darell =-
2002 Ody EXL-Nav (TW) ordered, and now maybe coming on November 2!
2001 Civic EX

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, even though not many of you seem to be very interested in this thread, my dealer called last week to tell me that my replacement LCD screen was in. Now if they can just get the harness for the '02 fog lights and the install time/expense for the tow package I'll take it in and get it all done at the same time. You don't have to be satisfied with defective merchandise after all.
’86 Civic – gone
, but not forgotten
’90 4Runner – great, but lacking for a family of 5
’02 GG Odyssey EX-L-RES – hello, my new best friend

tnuckels

·
Registered
157 Posts
I just had my iVES installed & the picture is clear and NO STUCK PIXLES!! Lucky me.

------------------
2002 MB EXL NAV
Cargo Tray, iVES, Zaino, Poron Reverse Sensors, Door Edge Guards, Fogs, & more ZAINO!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tnuckels:
I don’t know about the rest of you, but I’m getting my defective LCD screen replaced because it has a dead pixel (haven’t taken the time to count with a magnifying glass if there’s more than one) almost dead center of the 7” screen. My dealer has a replacement on order since the night I picked up the '02 van and I spotted it when they turned the DVD player on. He said it’d be covered under warrantee, though I’ve not heard back about the replacement yet and it’s been about 4 weeks. Hmm ...</font>

I know that it is hit and miss on getting replacements for stuck pixels on any LCD equipment unless it exceeds a certain number of pixels. Cameras are usually the only exception when the CCD has a stuck pixel as it results in stuck pixels on every picture taken.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> Razorback ... you unwitting pawn of the oppressor, unite with the proletariat ... with US, your brothers, your fellow workers, your fellow Honda Odyssey owners ... and DEMAND replacement screens for the PEOPLE! (rambling deleted) </font>
Oh please. I've sent back more thinkpads and dell latitudes due to stuck pixels than I care to count. I *hate* stuck pixels. That's why I've fought this war so many times. I know from my experience with dell, ibm, compaq, toshiba, etc that it is an uphill battle to get lcd stuck pixels replaced unless it exceeds a certain number.

Regarding your dealer, I'm sure your stuck pixel complaint was the first they had *ever* dealt with. It's great that your dealer replaced the screen. By all means that is what they *should* do. I never said they *shouldn't.* I said that Honda was probably prepared to battle us over a single stuck pixel, just like most of the computer industry.

I hear of more people complaining that computer makers not wanting to fix stuck pixels fixed than those who succeed in getting a replacement. I was just trying to give some folks a realistic expectation.

For those interested, here's a couple of links that talk about dead pixels on notebooks:

http://www.lowendmac.com/misc/2k0323.html
http://www.ait.iastate.edu/newsletter/200012200112/article7.html

Regarding the analogy of a computer *algorithm* to a manufacturing process is silly. An alogrithm does the same thing every time.

Maybe the dealers (and possibly Honda) are prepared to replace all stuck pixels RES units. I'll certainly take my RES to the dealer and see what they say. I'm with us, not *them*.

I'm glad they replaced your screen. I'll be visting my dealer Monday.

Greg

[This message has been edited by Razorback (edited 10-27-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Razorback (edited 10-27-2001).]

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry Greg, didn’t mean to dog you there. You are in a position to know a lot more about this subject than I am, though I seem able to ramble more.

I’ve been out of the PC industry for almost 4 years now taking care of the kids, so I expect the trend toward less responsive customer service in the face of slimmer margins has only gotten worse. Also, I’ve mostly worked for fortune 500 companies where the tendency of the vendors was perhaps to be more “friendly” with regard to replacements.

I was just bummed to see a stuck pixel on my brand new 30+ thousand dollar van. Good luck with your screen. No offense intended.
’90 4Runner – lacking for a family of 5
’02 GG Odyssey EX-L-RES – my new best friend

tnuckels

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sorry Greg, didn’t mean to dog you there. You are in a position to know a lot more about this subject than I am, though I seem able to ramble more. </font>
None taken at all. I agree 100% with you that a stuck pixel should be fixed.

Glad you are getting yours fixed and I'll let you know what I find out on ours.

(What's up with an Arkansas and Alabama person agreeing on something during SEC Football season?
)

Greg

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'd love to know how long it takes to get the fog light harness in. I've been waiting for mine for nearly 2 weeks.

Well, even though not many of you seem to be very interested in this thread, my dealer called last week to tell me that my replacement LCD screen was in. Now if they can just get the harness for the '02 fog lights and the install time/expense for the tow package I'll take it in and get it all done at the same time. You don't have to be satisfied with defective merchandise after all.</font>

------------------
Ron - Ody EX L Navi 2002, silver with fog, subwoofer

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Supposed to be available first of the month. Don't know what month that is, just the first of the month.

Ok, it's November 1st, so they say. There is an entire thread around here somewhere on the subject, from the failure of the '01 fogs, to the wiring patch off the seat heaters, to the availability of the inline harness fix. Try here: http://www.odyclub.com/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000278.html
’90 4Runner – lacking for a family of 5
’02 GG Odyssey EX-L-RES – my new best friend

tnuckels

[This message has been edited by tnuckels (edited 10-28-2001).]

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi tnuckles,

Unfortunately, as stated already, dead pixels tend to be the achilles heel of lcd displays.

They've made progress with the technology but these still pop up in a number of units occassionally.

On a small screen, sometimes it is not that visible but on a big screen, yikes!

Thanks,
Errol

------------------
Keohi Web Design
Keohi HDTV

·
Registered
1 Posts
DVD screen pixels/defects

Our new 2002 Odyssey RES has a bright white cluster of pixels in the middle. It's very obvious, and extremely annoying. Honda is refusing to replace it, saying that it is an acceptable manufacturing flaw. Where to go from here?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Re: DVD screen pixels/defects

agiannot said:
Our new 2002 Odyssey RES has a bright white cluster of pixels in the middle. It's very obvious, and extremely annoying. Honda is refusing to replace it, saying that it is an acceptable manufacturing flaw. Where to go from here?
Go up the food chain. If your dealer refuses to replace it, call Honda. If it is the Honda regional manager, find HIS/HER boss.

A bright white cluster is NOT an acceptable manufacturing flaw. They don't want to replace it because their vendor is (I am sure) giving them grief on this, and Honda doesn't want to eat a screen...

Keep screaming, and let them know you WON'T go away and WILL keep complaining until you get satisfaction...

Good luck and let us know how this comes out..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts