Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We don't have our Ody yet, but I inspect (read: drool over) every one I see on the road, in parking lots, etc.

I'm seeing a LOT of dented liftgates, some worse than others, but a startling trend. Is this just "user error" or something actually wrong with the metal or design?

Are many people here experiencing the same lumpy backsides?

------------------
'02 MB EX-L w/RES ordered 11/17, due Jan ??
'97 Accord LX (hubby's)
'93 Accord 10th Anniv (mine-wanna buy it? 82K miles)
'83 Accord DX (RIP)
'66 Mustang w/deluxe seats (owned'77-83)

·
Registered
97 Posts
My guess is its mostly "user error", i.e. closing the garage door when the van is not totally inside the garage, driving out of the garage before the garage door is fully open, or backing into a stationary road hazzard like a mail box.

------------------
MarioB
'01 DEP EX Leather

[This message has been edited by MarioB (edited 12-31-2001).]

·
Registered
174 Posts
We had a similar problem with our Aerostar and Windstar when opening the hatch inside the garage and it hitting the garage door. Our garage is so full of stuff right now, it may be spring before we get the Ody inside.

·
1,484 Posts
I've come to the conclusion it is the metal that's acting up...well at least most of time. I have heard numerous stories of mysterious dents popping up (or in this case 'IN') from Odyssey and MDX owners alike. I've also had first-hand experience with this because I have small indentations in the tailgate of my Ody right near the handle. And I know for sure it's not because of "user error". At least not this user.

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nemogira:
I've come to the conclusion it is the metal that's acting up...well at least most of time. I have heard numerous stories of mysterious dents popping up (or in this case 'IN') from Odyssey and MDX owners alike. I've also had first-hand experience with this because I have small indentations in the tailgate of my Ody right near the handle. And I know for sure it's not because of "user error". At least not this user.
</font>
Could it be that other drivers in parking lots are backing into the liftgate, or loose grocery carts at the supermarket? Seems far-fetched for metal to suddenly "shape-shift" by itself. Maybe we should call Mulder and Scully on this outbreak!

[This message has been edited by Steve Pert (edited 12-31-2001).]

·
Registered
75 Posts
hmm...perhaps that explains the sometimes freaky behavior of the power sliding doors...this van is trying to KILL me :cool:.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Steve Pert:
Could it be that other drivers in parking lots are backing into the liftgate, or loose grocery carts at the supermarket? Seems far-fetched for metal to suddenly "shape-shift" by itself. Maybe we should call Mulder and Scully on this outbreak!

[This message has been edited by Steve Pert (edited 12-31-2001).]
</font>

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
These are don't look at all like dents from a garage door, or backing into something. That's what's weird about it.

In some cases, there are small clusters of dents or wave-like places. Looks like something as light as a well-placed hand could cause some of them. Sure seems like some soft metal or just one big air pocket on the back without reinforcement in places you'd expect there to be something supporting. Maybe this is common in other vans...I've never owned one.

------------------
'02 MB EX-L w/RES ordered 11/17, due Jan ??
'97 Accord LX (hubby's)
'93 Accord 10th Anniv (mine-wanna buy it? 82K miles)
'83 Accord DX (RIP)
'66 Mustang w/deluxe seats (owned'77-83)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts