Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cannot believe the bumper got dented during a reverse 90 degree parking that was going at 1 to 2 mph at best.

The car that I bumped into has no dent whatsoever. That car is made from the early 90s and a low end sedan. So why is my 2009 $30k+ van get dented? Does Honda uses cardboard to build their external body now?

I couldn't imagine how it can stand a big impact without tearing the van apart.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Did you back into the corner of the other car? The pointier the object you hit, the more likely you will have a dent...

·
Registered
43 Posts
My wife backed into someone with our 08. It put a dent in the corner, I popped it back out and you can't tell it even happened. Didn't chip the paint or anything.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Clarity for you: What you're discussing is not the real bumper...it's the bumper cover. Pretty much outside of trucks, no vehicles have visible bumpers these days. It's just a flimsy piece of plastic for design and is supposed to pop in/out during light impact. During a real collision, yes it will be mangled but at that point the REAL bumper will do the protecting.

Our back end is a war zone from a paint perspective. It's been repainted twice and currently has about 3 separate spots where the paint has been scraped off. I don't know what it is about this thing that attracts people to hit it....we (i mean my wife) has only caused the damage once. The rest we discover when coming back to the parking lot.

As far as damage though...we're still on the original cover with no dents or dings. The paint falling off at the lightest scrape is my only complaint. I would imagine a lot depends on how the bumper is impacted. It is just plastic and should pop out in most cases.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hexabob said:
My wife backed into someone with our 08. It put a dent in the corner, I popped it back out and you can't tell it even happened. Didn't chip the paint or anything.
How did you popped it back out? I look under the van and don't see any space where someone can pop the dent out without take the cover off

·
Registered
43 Posts
I used a piece of 1" or so pipe ...there's just enough room to get it in there. I just got it centered on the dent and gave it a good push and it popped right out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts