Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Okay, I've researched depaxing my 07 touring to death all over the web but especially in the forums here. In fact, I think I've actually memorized all the wheel fitments at this point. Great information here and very knowledgable and experienced folks.

But what I still can't completely figure out is what size wheel/tire offers the most safely for my family, followed by the best handling? I don't really care how it all looks. Will 19" ZDX or MDX wheels really improve the handling enough to justify the cost or is the bigger wheel or is it purely a looks thing? If I drop down to 17" wheels, will they be too light for the Oddy and thus effect handing and ultimately saftey? Are 18" wheels the magic number, splitting the difference?

I know tires brands factor in, I'm also painfully aware of which wheel gets which sized tire thanks to these forums :) I know I can get to a 28" wheel diameter no matter which wheel i go with if I put the right rubber on -- I just want to make sure I get the best combo for my family, to keep them safe and improve handling.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
63 Posts
It really all comes down to your personal preference. If you plan on using OEM wheels from Honda/Acura any of them will be perfectly safe. You just have to make sure you have the correct lug nuts and TPMS sensor as I'm sure you already know from all the great threads on here.

As far as tires go just be sure you get the correct load rating and speed rating. I know that on the PAX tires the load rating is a really big deal. Due to the weight of the van and the fact that the run flats have to support it in case of a blow out.

There are a lot of great articles on tirerack.com pertaining to load/speed ratings. As well as everything else you have ever wanted and not wanted to know about tires.

On my wife's Ody-T I just picked up a set of 2009 TL base wheels (split 5 spoke) for the winter time. I plan on mounting a set of bridgestone blizzaks for the winter time 235/60/17. I was going to put ZDX wheels/tires on it for summer but she wants 20's again ;) Hope this is helpful

·
Registered
632 Posts
Wyolinc, 17's is the same as OEM '08-'10 Touring stock non-Pax wheels. It's the size I've used to upgrade from EXL's 16 inchers. Long drive is comfortable not bumpy but I dont have the looks like 19's or 20 does. The thinner the side wall the more road feel you'll have. I've used 40 series and 45 series on my previous honda civic and accord but nothing much sweet than OEM configuration. If 18's,19's,20's+ fits your lifestyle then go for it. It's nice to see those low profile tires on big rims. My 17's has a cheaper tire when it comes to replacement time. What I've learned in the past is Looks and Comfort dont go hand in hand. You have to choose either one. Some people might argue that coz they have 19s or 20s and they say their fine. Well good for them. I dont wanna be riding like a pogo stick esp if I make a 9-10 hr drive to Florida and feel every road imperfection to my kidneys jarring like a jack hammer. But then again thats just me. My van is for long distance trip and i want comfort. I'll reserve that 35-40 series tire for my Riced Import.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
See, that's what I'm talking about -- great people here and very thoughtful feedback. Thanks to you both-- I'll take it all under consideration!

I forgot to mention in my OP that I am getting OEM wheels without question, so that should apparently take care of the safety side. I guess now it just comes down to looks vs handling... so hmm... will a 245/45/19 handle/brake, etc much better than say a 245/55/18 or even a 235/60/17? Seems like I'm giving up comfort by going with a smaller aspect ratio but do I gain back handling/braking... or is it only for looks? My twin 2 year olds won't care how slick the car looks but I'm pretty sure they'll wake up when I hit a pothole on low profile tires :eek:

As soon as you take looks out of the equation, the wheel/tire config on a depax becomes an interesting conversation... at least for me :)

Again, I very much appreciate you all -- I've learned so much here -- keep it coming!

·
Registered
63 Posts
My question to you is, what type of performance are you trying to get out of your set up?

Wheels: Wheel 1/ Wheel 2/ wheel3
Wheel size 17x8 ET 45/ 18x8 ET 45/ 19x8 ET 45
BackSpace 6.2''/ 6.2''/ 6.2"
Typical Weight 24 lbs/ 26 lbs/ 29lbs/
Tires: Tire 1/ Tire 2/ tire 3
Tire size 235/60-17/ 245/55-18/ 245/45-19
tire width 9.3''/ 9.6''/ 9.6"
Sidewall 5.6''/ 5.3''/ 4.3"
Tire diameter 28.1''/ 28.6''/ 27.7"
13 mm (1.8%) taller 11 mm (1.5%) shorter
Rim sizes 17x6.5 to 17x9 18x7 to 18x9 19x7 to 19x9
Circumf 88.3''/ 89.9''/ 86.9"
Revs per mile 717.8/ 705/ 729.1
Speedometer 60mph= 61.1mph/ 60mph=59.1mph
1.8% faster/ 1.5% slower
typical tire
Weight 35 lbs/ 36 lbs/ 32lbs

Wheel/tire
weight 59 lbs/ 62 lbs/ 61lbs

Now with all this info what you really want to pay attention to are the sidewall heights, the tire width, and wheel+tire combo weight.

A wider tire will give you more traction during acceleration, cornering, and braking. On the down side a wider tire is more prone to hydro planing. This shouldn't be to much of a concern in LA. Do you guys ever get hurricane type rainfall?

As you know the sidewall height will effect the vehicles ability to soak up bumps and dips. As the tire is just as much a part of the suspension as the struts/shocks and springs. That being said choice of tire plays a big factor in your decision as well. The tire is the only thing keeping you on the road. It is your front line for performance and safety. Most people don't put enough thought into their tire selections. The main question I hear from your average joe is How long will this tire last me? What people don't realize is that the longer a tire last the harder the rubber compound. When you have a high mileage rated tire you sacrifice performance and safety for frugality. That being said tirerack.com has a bunch of articles on treadwear ratings, mileage ratings etc.

Lastly the weight of the wheel and tire combo. Now if I remember correctly the OEM Ody Touring wheel and tire combo weighs in at about 70lbs a piece! Looking at the chart above, it looks like any combo you go with will net a 8-11lb rotational mass loss at each corner for a total of 32-44lb loss. Which should translate into better fuel economy, better stopping ability, and better acceleration. Looks like a win win win to me. Now we're not talking astronomical gains here maybe 1-2mpg, a lil more life out of the brake pads etc.

Back to sidewalls for just a second. Looking at the chart an OEM tire size of 235/60/17 5.6" side wall
245/55/18 5.3" side wall which should give a negligible difference
245/50/18 4.8" side wall which should firm up the ride a lil but in a good way
245/45/19 4.3" side wall while shorter is still a modest side wall

Something to look at when buying tires is how they're constructed. Some have steel reinforced side walls some don't.Also look for tire compound composition.

Hope all this isn't to overwhelming. Pay a visit to tirerack.com and get to reading in your spare time. Knowledge is key!

no I don't work for tirerack just have used all there testing and knowledge they provide for free which is priceless

sorry the chart is messy it doesnt look like that when I typed it :(

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, even more info to consider. Super helpful, thanks!

No, LA doesn't get hurricane rainfall. I can't even imagine! The entire city would fall apart if that happened! People freak out here if it mists for three days straight :)

Few quick questions:

1. Will 245/50/18's work on an Oddy without messing with spedo and spin/braking? I was under the impression that by going even with a slightly lower profile, it can throw stuff out of whack. I'm probably being overly analytical -- have too much information and not enough practical knowledge, if you know what I mean :)

2. "245/45/19 4.3" side wall while shorter is still a modest side wall" --> What do you mean by 'modest'? Do you mean even though the side wall is lower, it's not so much that it will impact feel but will deliver a little incremental gain in performance? (i.e., acceleration, brake, etc.)

Look for my PM

·
Registered
63 Posts
The 245/50/18 tire measures 27.7 only about a 1.5% difference from stock. Its well within the recommended 3% limit.

245/45/19 4.3" by 'modest'? Do you mean even though the side wall is lower, it's not so much that it will impact feel but will deliver a little incremental gain in performance?

You got it exactly!!!

Pm replied : )

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just a quick update. Over the weekend I found a crazy deal on some 18" MDX 2012 wheels with 255/50/18's on them. Believe it or not, $800 bucks including putting my sensors in and putting them on my Oddy -- yes, the dealer, very cool parts guy had mercy on me I guess. I'll post pictures next week if you guys want.

Appreciate everyone's input, special thanks to Sleepless247 who really helped break it all down for me.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Wow that guy must think your cute I want pics LOL J/K That is one hell of a deal for sure. Swap over sensor and mount on the Ody that is like winning the lotto at that price. haha. Glad I could help and glad you got an awesome deal!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts