Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

First post here since I am going through the pain of DePax'ing right now. Been reading lots of posts going through pages of stickies for couple days. There is lot of information but stickies are now 100+ pages you know so instead of adding my comment there I wanted to have a summarized view of my understanding how dePax works and asking DePax gurus for confirmation. Please help me move forward with DePax'ing. I need it done soon since tires are in very bad shape right now. Thanks!

DePax process (according to my understanding) involves following: Bolt Pattern, Wheel Size, TPMS Sensor, and Tire (Size)

Bolt Pattern: For Honda Odyssey 2007 Touring it must match 5x120. No other option. If wheel does not have this bolt pattern I cannot use it

Lug Nuts:
Wheel might have same bolt pattern but existing Lug Nuts might not fit. Need to make sure existing Lug Nuts fit or buy new set of Lug Nuts fitting the wheels. Can someone provide existing Lug Nut specifications please?

TPMS sensor:
I can re-use existing TPMS sensors (pulling them out by cutting 2.5" hole in Pax tires if planning to discard the tires or have the shop take them out from existing tires). Installing new/existing sensors might require additional assemblies/etc based on the wheel selected. New set of TPMS sensors costs around $60 per unit. To avoid the hassle of going through new/existing TPMS sensors transfer/installation lots of users buy wheels from vehicles already having compatible sensors. Based on my research MDX 2007, Pilot 2007, and Ridgeline 2007 all have compatible sensors. There might be additional model years (05-08?) but we are now in 2017 so finding the set of 4 wheels from these model years is becoming increasingly hard. In stickies lots of people reported using other makes/models but they did not mention if they used new set of TPMS sensors. Please add to the list compatible makes and models along with model years.

Wheel Size:
I can go anywhere from 16" to 19" in diameter. There are pros and cons of having big/small diameter. it is general knowledge and does not have impact on DePax'ing. Width/offset is more important though as it impacts longevity of the tires. Users have reported MDX 2007 wheels lasting long so I assume it has best offset? Please suggest good offset values.

Finally the Tire:
This is general knowledge. Most users seem to be using sizes between 235-245 / 55-60 / 18. I guess once I have selected wheel I can buy a tire that fits as long as it does not go beyond existing Pax wheel + tire dimensions? Can someone suggest total acceptable dimensions?

Thank you all for your comments and confirmations to help me DePax.

Regards,
EB

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wish I was able to edit original post. Following Makes/Models have TPMS Sensor compatible with Odysseys from 05-07. Can someone please confirm? My understanding is if you buy any one of these wheels you dont need to worry about TPMS sensor; it will register automatically.

Acura MDX 2004-06
Acura RL 2006-08
Acura TL 2006-08
Honda Ridgeline 2006-08
Honda Pilot 2004-08

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just DEPAX’d our ‘06 Touring yesterday. I too read a lot of posts before finally taking the plunge. Our set-up:

Wheels: 2011 MDX 18” Sport
TPMS: New 05-06 OEM Sensors
Tires: Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring 235/55/18 104V
Lug Nuts: (Reused OEM)

It’s that easy & I HIGHLY recommend the Cooper tires. I’ve seen plenty of guys using them on their DEPAX. Driving home from the tire shop, my wife said it felt like she was “riding on a cloud”. It is THAT much nicer.

(Picture was taken at dusk & doesn’t do it justice.)

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you do it yourself or go to a professional? I need to get this done very soon and any additional info you can provide is appreciated.
Sorry, man, never got a notification ref. this post.

My wife found the MDX rims on FB Marketplace. I ordered & installed the TPMS’s myself. I took the van & rims to a tire shop. They mounted & balanced the tires; “programmed” the sensors; then replaced the rims for me. I took my PAX rims home in my Avalanche when we picked up the Ody.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello there. Am I the only one looking to Depax an ‘07 ody touring that has the 5 x 114.3mm pattern?? Literally everything I read everywhere says it’s 5 x 120mm but I’ve measured it. A lot and it’s clearly 4.5” nit 4.72”... Any others run into this??

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hello there. Am I the only one looking to Depax an ‘07 ody touring that has the 5 x 114.3mm pattern?? Literally everything I read everywhere says it’s 5 x 120mm but I’ve measured it. A lot and it’s clearly 4.5” nit 4.72”... Any others run into this??
The wheels I used to Depax were 5-112.00/120.00 and have 2 sets of holes - the wider 120mm pattern holes are used to mount them. All the wheels listed on the Discount Tire web site for the Odyssey are either this 5-112/120 or only 5-120 pattern. I don't see how your wheels could be unique.

How are you measuring? The 120mm is the diameter of an imaginary circle whose circumference would pass through the center of each bolt hole. Since there is no hole directly across from another in a 5 bolt pattern it is trickier. They talk about measuring from the outside of 1 hole to the center of a hole across from it to get an approximate measurement. If you are measuring center to center on holes across from each other I think this could easily make up the ~1/4" difference you are measuring.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello everyone,
Trying to depax my 08 touring as least expensive way as the value of the van is not much anymore.
I need to know what size/type rims I can use for depax
Also the size of tire depending on the rims size.
Thank you all for your help

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hello everyone,
Trying to depax my 08 touring as least expensive way as the value of the van is not much anymore.
I need to know what size/type rims I can use for depax
Also the size of tire depending on the rims size.
Thank you all for your help
Price will will really depend on what you can find. I worked with a local Discount Tire store because I wanted one place responsible for everything. I was able to start out researching on their website (I used an '07 EX-L but probably could have used an '08 Touring without PAX) to get some wheel and tire options with pricing and then went into my local shop to finalize and place the order (it took a few days for everything to arrive).

I wanted General Altimax RT43 tires which rated very highly by ConsumerReports. At the time, going with 16" wheels with 235/65R16 tires was a little less expensive than going with 17" wheels with 235/60R17 tires. I think this is generally the case.

I went with the 16" setup paying $100 per tire and about $82 per wheel. In addition I needed new lug nuts to use with the aftermarket wheels and also got new TPMS since with the original sensors going on 12 years old I figured the batteries would die soon and I'd have to then replace them anyway. All up, including services and taxes (which in my area are high) I paid a little over $1100 which was a savings of $300 - $400 compared to simply getting a new set of 4 PAX tires. The savings will be much greater the next time tires are needed.

Besides this, I had to do quite a bit of calling around to locate a spare tire at a junk yard which ended up costing me $35.

After 15 months and 15K miles I'm very happy with the setup.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, I have previously posted a long post on how I depaxed my 2005 Touring. You can look it up, but there are so many other postings that all say similar things. I just want to second BertS comments. I went with a 17" rim because it was nicer looking and was told it was closer in size to my Pax tires. If I had to do it over, I would go with the 16" rim/tire. A 17" tire is more expensive. Buy/Use new TPMS because reusing the old ones are not going to last that much longer anyway. I bought the doughnut spare from Honda dealer over the internet, that fits and is hidden in the back left side panel. Of course cost is a consideration, especially on an older car. But it is the peace of mind for me that is more important. Since depaxing, I can drive down Hwy 5 from Nocal to Socal, and not worry about a flat tire, and being stranded somewhere where only a Honda Dealer with Pax equipment could save me time and anguish. All told, I did spend about $1300, but as other owners will tell you, I would pay $1000 for new set of pax tires that don't last nearly as long as "regular" non-pax tires. Good luck

·
Registered
181 Posts
All told, I did spend about $1300, but as other owners will tell you, I would pay $1000 for new set of pax tires that don't last nearly as long as "regular" non-pax tires. Good luck
$1000 for a set of 4 PAX tires seems low. I had replaced my PAX tires 2 times with new PAX tires before finally Depaxing when needing my 4th set of tires. The best price I ever found (and each time I called around to a few Honda dealerships and a couple of independent tire dealers that had PAX) was $1250 for a set of 4 including installation. It was about $1400 last year when I checked prior to my Depax.

Totally agree with the peace of mind and the longer tire life. I sometimes travel through rural areas and even though luckily I never had a flat on a road trip, I worried that if I did there would not be an open Honda dealer having replacement PAX tires with the equipment and trained personnel within 125 miles which would greatly delay a trip.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello all,
Finally I I depaxed my 2008 odyssey with 19inches accura rims and 255/55/19 with tpms.
Every thing looks good except I can't reset the tpms
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hello all,
Finally I I depaxed my 2008 odyssey with 19inches accura rims and 255/55/19 with tpms.
Every thing looks good except I can't reset the tpms
Any suggestions?
Whoever installed the rims and tires should reprogram the tmps with the new sensors, I depaxed mine last week and they reprogrammed the new sensors.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Where did the TPMS sensors come from? are they compatible with the Touring? If they are Acura they may not be compatible. I found the sensors are even different between trim levels (PAX / Non-PAX) for the same year of Odyssey.

When I depaxed I bought new Huff aftermarket TPMS sensors that Discount Tire's system indicated were compatible with my 2007 Touring. The TPMS wouldn't sync however so it took it back a couple of hours later. They looked at their programming tool and discovered I needed a different Schrader sensor, and while they were 50% more expensive, ended up replacing them for no extra charge. Apparently the tech simply programmed the Huff sensor for a different Odyssey trim and are not compatible with the Touring originally outfitted with PAX.

With the correct sensors all the errors cleared less than 1/2 mile after leaving the shop and I have had no issues in over 1 year since.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts