Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 819 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I didn't want this information to get buried in another topic thread so I've created a new topic thread as well with a direct link to the article:

http://www.planet-9.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=220

Enjoy and stand by for tomorrow's article update!


Moderator Edit:
Based on later discussions and information by folks who dePax for a living, it has been discovered that the washer mentioned in the article is NOT needed. Please do your research before looking for or using that washer. :)

Author Edit:
If you want to break the internal plastic retaining ring on your TPMS sensors then go ahead, but ask yourself WHY weren't these broken on the original set of PAX wheels? If they weren't broken from Honda when you go the car, why are you breaking them now? Choice is yours, but the washer allows you to install exactly as they were installed on the original PAX wheels from the factory.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
13,473 Posts
KSKruzer said:
I didn't want this information to get buried in another topic thread so I've created a new topic thread as well with a direct link to the article:

http://www.planet-9.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=220

Enjoy and stand by for tomorrow's article update!
Good job. Unfortunately, this too will get buried in numerous posts unless a Mod Locks it and stickies it.

So, lets petition the mods to sticky it up top and delete junk posts like mine.

:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
650 Posts
Great find just curious to why this is being posted in Cayman club and not on a Odyssey site like odyclub.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bone said:
Great find just curious to why this is being posted in Cayman club and not on a Odyssey site like odyclub.
Probably because this site doesn't have an Articles section and because it is a lot easier for me to do on the other site. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
I wonder if this also might apply to the RL wheels?

[I just got RL wheels earlier this week in preparation for depaxing]

Any ideas about the best place to get TPMS's? Does anyone here sell them at decent prices (decent meaning $120+shipping for 4 of them)?

What about tires? I was thinking of getting Michelins at Costco, but I am not sure if they have the right size in a 102 load rating. Unfortunately, their website doesn't allow search by tire, only by vehicle, and I don't know what vehicles use 235/60R17 tires. Also, I've been quite disappointed by the tire sales company (like tiresplus.com, etc) websites.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
13,473 Posts
KaliOdy said:
Per the majorities request, post has been labeled "sticky." :p How you guys doing?
Doing good. Please lock the post too or else it will get humongus with folks asking repeat quetions as the other PAX threads have gotten.

:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
markr33 said:
I wonder if this also might apply to the RL wheels?

[I just got RL wheels earlier this week in preparation for depaxing]

Any ideas about the best place to get TPMS's? Does anyone here sell them at decent prices (decent meaning $120+shipping for 4 of them)?

What about tires? I was thinking of getting Michelins at Costco, but I am not sure if they have the right size in a 102 load rating. Unfortunately, their website doesn't allow search by tire, only by vehicle, and I don't know what vehicles use 235/60R17 tires. Also, I've been quite disappointed by the tire sales company (like tiresplus.com, etc) websites.
I got all my parts from http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/. The TPMS sensor is about $32 each.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Re: Re: DePax - The Right Way! - Detailed How-To Article

Odyss said:
What is the actual size (measurement) of the washer - Overall diameter and hole diameter?

Thanks...
The hole has to be 7/16th, and the over all diameter is about the same as a penny. It's quite hard to find...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Re: Re: DePax - The Right Way! - Detailed How-To Article

Odyss said:
What is the actual size (measurement) of the washer - Overall diameter and hole diameter?

Thanks...
7/16" hole AN washer. If you can't find them locally, large racer supply houses(Jegs, etc) have them in bulk(boxes of 20-50), and in stainless steel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BTW our new wheels and tires are on, I took plenty of pics and will be updating the install article sometime this weekend as my time permits. So far everything is great other than the spare tire is on backorder.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
Re: Re: Re: DePax - The Right Way! - Detailed How-To Article

62rag said:
7/16" hole AN washer. If you can't find them locally, large racer supply houses(Jegs, etc) have them in bulk(boxes of 20-50), and in stainless steel.
Home Depot = no impact no idea...

My quest continues...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: DePax - The Right Way! - Detailed How-To Article

Odyss said:
Home Depot = no impact no idea...

My quest continues...
True Value = no idea...

I did find some nylon (plastic) ones in the correct size, would that work, or is that too weak?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
I'm in the middle of Depaxing with MDX wheels. After reading this post, I was worried about the fitment of my Honda sensors in the MDX wheels. When I ordered from College Hills Honda, they volunteered that when installing the sensors, the nut would appear to get tight, but that I should "continue past that point" and that the nut would continue to tighten down until the sensor was snugly mounted. I just did all 4 last night, and their instructions were spot-on. They were right that you can seem to tighten the nut competely, and the sensor is still loose. After continuing to tighten the nut, it went past the "tight spot" and snugged down nicely. I'm not sure if its a self locking feature or what, but it worked great with no washers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,267 Posts
pkadhr said:
I'm in the middle of Depaxing with MDX wheels. After reading this post, I was worried about the fitment of my Honda sensors in the MDX wheels. When I ordered from College Hills Honda, they volunteered that when installing the sensors, the nut would appear to get tight, but that I should "continue past that point" and that the nut would continue to tighten down until the sensor was snugly mounted. I just did all 4 last night, and their instructions were spot-on. They were right that you can seem to tighten the nut competely, and the sensor is still loose. After continuing to tighten the nut, it went past the "tight spot" and snugged down nicely. I'm not sure if its a self locking feature or what, but it worked great with no washers.
You've learned from the pros, right on. Thanks for the info.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Attaching an image that may be of importance... the new TPMS I bought have the part that tightens down with an o-ring inside that is attached to the walls. Looking at the new wheels I bought, one of them had the stem and I removed it and the inside had the o-ring but it was broken down and touching the bottom. Thus, if you tighten them hand tight, you'll feel them the new ones stop at that point, but if you are able to tighten them down further that ring snaps and you can get them snug.

Now, I'm not sure if that's intentional or not, and if the washer method is still needed on some rims, and/or which is better, just wanted to share.

I'll note that I had a nut driver and tried tightening past the factory stop and couldn't, I had to use a wrench. This leads to another issue, the tpms stem will start to turn/tighten down as well and I'm not sure if the tpms would get damaged before that inside o-ring gives. Fortunately I had that extra stem so I used a wrench to hold one end while tightening down the other until the ring inside snapped and then took it off, and assembled the TPMS.

Using a wrench on the good sensor stem is not a good idea as the end is likely to get damaged. Thus, I don't know if this helps or not.

[Edit] Will note that the OP points this out in the link above, so, the question still stands is it supposed to break or not? Given that the other two on my rims were broken in and I head from a honda dealer as well, I suspect it's OK. If anyone is paranoid I suppose it might be worth calling Schrader/Manuf and getting their input.[/edit]
Schrader TPMS
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Attached are two of the nuts from the TPMS, the left is one that was already installed with the (broken stop collar / o-ring) seated at the bottom. The right is brand new out of the bag with the in-tact collar affixed mid-way down the barrell. As per above, it appears that the ring needs to be snapped during installation to get proper seating, but, this is just a guess of mine based on what I've seen. As to the best way to get the torque to do that without damaging the TPMS, I can't say.

[edit] I was on the phone ordering a spare tire from honda and the person I spoke to said the above was how they do it, tighten, then it snaps and feels loose, and then tighten again until it's snug. [/edit]

[Edit]
posted by pizzle
I found the following publication while surfing the 'net for information. TRW manufactures the sensors used on the Touring Ody.

www.entire-solution.com/English/images/Honda Sensor Adj Angle Manual Mount.pdf

Note the reference to the "Break away flange" on page 3 and the detailed steps on pages 6-8 of the document.

I know that 99% of the folks out there broke the inner collar during their install, but some wondered whether or not this was "as-designed" behavior. This publication seems to finally put that question to rest.
Awesome, thanks!
 

Attachments

1 - 20 of 819 Posts
About this Discussion
818 Replies
292 Participants
ody__meh
Honda Odyssey Forum
Odyclub community is the #1 forum to discuss all things Honda Odyssey: minivans, safety, service maintenance, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing
Top