Honda Odyssey Forum banner

761 - 780 of 819 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello depax gurus, I'm a newbie to this forum - this is my first post. I recently purchased an 05' Touring with around 48k miles. I'm looking to depax it soon as I've recently sourced a set of new 18" take-off wheels (wheels & center caps only) from a 2014 Ody Touring that I'd like to use. My questions are as follows:

1) A local auto tech has offered to remove the existing TPMS sensors from the 05' Touring wheels. I've been told that I can re-use the existing TPMS sensors from my 05' PAX wheels on the 2014 18" Touring wheels (part # and link below); Is this true?
18-In Black Alloy Wheel (Honda Part No.: 08W18-TK8-100)08W18-TK8-100 - Genuine Honda 18-In Black Alloy Wheel

2) The OEM tire size that's used on the 18" wheels of 2014 Ody Touring is a 235/60R18. I've seen postings on here which indicate that when depaxing an 05-06 Ody Touring, it is recommended to use a 235/55r18 for an 18" wheel. Reason for this is to maintain the same diameter as the 05' OEM PAX diameter. Is this also true?
- Also, any recommendations on brand/model tires for 18" wheel set I intend to use?

3) I've read that the OEM 05-06' Touring lug nuts are of a different type than later models. As such, will I require a new set of lug nuts for the 2014 18" Touring wheels?

Any information any of you depax gurus might be able to provide would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
Right below this thread is another sticky thread about depax. The poster below says he used 245/55R18 tires and they don't rub, so the 235/55R18 tire should be fine. One thing to consider is that the load ratings are not as high on the lower profile tires so be careful carrying bigger loads with your van.

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/52-2005-2010-odyssey/39044-07-touring-18-mdx-wheels-cure-pax-108.html#post1575753

As for the TPMS, the tire store guys probably know better but you should be able to use the existing sensors. Keep in mind, though, that these sensors have batteries that are only good for 8-10 years. So, on an 05 you're at 11 years old. You may lose the batteries pretty soon. It might be a good time to replace them with new sensors only because the batteries are old. I replaced mine on my 08 on my last tire change just so I wouldn't have to deal with a dead battery over the next few years.

As for lugnuts, yes there are two styles of lugnuts. There is a tapered self-centering style and a shanked centering style. One looks like a regular old lugnut and centers the wheel with a tapered edge of the nut. The other style has a longer shank that goes in the wheel and has a built-in washer. You can't mix the two. It just depends on what style each of your wheels use.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Must be referring to my post. :)
The load rating on my BF Goodrich Radial T/A Spec is 102T (1874 lbs)

My everyday cargo is four kids... but otherwise, the heaviest load would be a dozen bags of mulch or soil. I agree with John in regards to the TPMS sensors. Save yourself a headache and change them now if you're in the process of upgrading.

Three years and not one nick from curbs... the 55 series tires provide excellent protection.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there.
New Ody owner here (and newbie here)
My 07 Touring was already dePAXed by last owner - i'm very happy with this.
My problem is that I need to prepare a second set of wheels for winter tyres.
Bought LX original steel rims with TPMS sensors already installed. This threat showed me that they probably won't work (and they are quite old).
My question is that if I buy new 06421-S3V-A04 sensors, will they fit to steel rims without any problems?
Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
For those who need to De-Pax your Odyssey Touring or to upgrade your Ody LX to Aluminum rims, I have a set of 17 inches EXL Wheels+Tiires from 2013 odyssey in excellent condition. PM me please. thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
I finally DePax'd my 2006 Touring:

- 2012-14 ACURA TL 17" FACTORY OEM RIM WHEEL [71801] (Ebay - PerfectionWheel)
- 2005-07 Honda Odyssey Touring TPMS Sensor [06421-S3V-A04] (Honda Parts World)
- 2007-10 Honda Odyssey Factory Lug Nut for Alloy Rims [90304-SJA-A91] (Honda Parts World)
- 2005-10 Honda Odyssey Mounted Spare Tire Kit OEM [06421-SHJ-A02] (Honda Parts World)
- Continental TrueContact 235/60r17 Tires 102T (local)

I got a nail in the sidewall of a tire that probably still had half its life expectancy. I figured for balancing purposes, they I would need to purchase two tires minimum (as the same thing occurred in the last 18 months). The other two tires were nearing the end of their life expectancy. So I might even be looking at 4 tires. Too add insult to injury, my local dealer no longer had the equipment, so I would have to drive 48 miles to get the work done, and that dealer could not see me until the following week. So I finally decided to stop the insanity. So for about $1800 I have new tires and sensors, re-manufactured rims, and a spare tire (which feels so freeing). I'm at 150,000 miles, but the vehicle has been great (except for pax) and I expect it too get a lot more out of it. And really what choice did I have? Trade-in the car to a Honda dealer over a flat? Spend $400 (1 tire) or $800 (2) again because I got a flat? Oh and it drives quieter, rides better, and with tires that are better suited to my local weather.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Depax 05 Touring

I decided that PAX was not the way to stay and I wanted to stay with Honda parts so I ordered the following:

06421-S3V-A04 SENSOR ASSY., TPMS 4 33.61 134.44
42700-SHJ-C91 DISK, ALUMINUM WHEEL (16X7J) (ENKEI) 4 154.63 618.52
44732-S0X-A01 CAP, ALUMINUM WHEEL CENTER 4 5.67 22.68

I am using Cooper tires 235R65t014 and am very pleased much better handleing in snow ans ice then the PAX and mush better ride at 70+ MPH as well. Also the conversion stops much better.

Please notice the price my local Honda wanted $275 for each. online $154.63. granted there was a $140 shipping charge for the complete package.

I am getting ready to order the spare miniwheel fro the same location using part num 06421-SHJ-A02 this is a wheel kit without the tire. cost $68.44 plus shipping.
Hello,

Can you share where to get these?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I finally DePax'd my 2006 Touring:

- 2012-14 ACURA TL 17" FACTORY OEM RIM WHEEL [71801] (Ebay - PerfectionWheel)
- 2005-07 Honda Odyssey Touring TPMS Sensor [06421-S3V-A04] (Honda Parts World)
- 2007-10 Honda Odyssey Factory Lug Nut for Alloy Rims [90304-SJA-A91] (Honda Parts World)
- 2005-10 Honda Odyssey Mounted Spare Tire Kit OEM [06421-SHJ-A02] (Honda Parts World)
- Continental TrueContact 235/60r17 Tires 102T (local)

I got a nail in the sidewall of a tire that probably still had half its life expectancy. I figured for balancing purposes, they I would need to purchase two tires minimum (as the same thing occurred in the last 18 months). The other two tires were nearing the end of their life expectancy. So I might even be looking at 4 tires. Too add insult to injury, my local dealer no longer had the equipment, so I would have to drive 48 miles to get the work done, and that dealer could not see me until the following week. So I finally decided to stop the insanity. So for about $1800 I have new tires and sensors, re-manufactured rims, and a spare tire (which feels so freeing). I'm at 150,000 miles, but the vehicle has been great (except for pax) and I expect it too get a lot more out of it. And really what choice did I have? Trade-in the car to a Honda dealer over a flat? Spend $400 (1 tire) or $800 (2) again because I got a flat? Oh and it drives quieter, rides better, and with tires that are better suited to my local weather.
Need to do this after winter 2017...nice....like that set up too...tires a great choice IMHO...

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Question regarding DEPAX and spare tire size..

From what I have read the 2005 Touring is 17 or 17.5 in wheel...

The spare tire kit offered for that car is 17in.

QUESTION: Should I be staying with a 17in. wheel DEPAX to coincide with size of spare?

My question deals with the event that the spare is placed on car and wheels are different size...wouldn't that put a great deal of stress on..( ball joints or some other mechanism of vehicle) if DEPAX wheel were a different size than spare...I am not a mechanic...a novice DIY...just wanna do it right...with no regrets.

Any comments pls send em...ty

·
Registered
262 Posts
Question regarding DEPAX and spare tire size..

From what I have read the 2005 Touring is 17 or 17.5 in wheel...

The spare tire kit offered for that car is 17in.

QUESTION: Should I be staying with a 17in. wheel DEPAX to coincide with size of spare?

My question deals with the event that the spare is placed on car and wheels are different size...wouldn't that put a great deal of stress on..( ball joints or some other mechanism of vehicle) if DEPAX wheel were a different size than spare...I am not a mechanic...a novice DIY...just wanna do it right...with no regrets.

Any comments pls send em...ty

Rim size does not matter for your question. Outside diameter is most relevant, but isn't absolutely critical for a spare (emergency) tire.

The stock OEM outside diameter of the standard TIRE is 28". So 28" OD of the tire keeps my speedometer correct.

I have 18" rims going on my 2005 Odyssey but my tire size will be 245-50-18, it's outside Diameter is 27.6". My spare is and wiil stay the standard spare that comes with the van, a 16" rim with the standard 235-65-16 = 28" Tire.

·
Registered
261 Posts
So I'm getting my stuff together to depax. Found some 17 inch 2009 Pilot rims $90 each from salvage yard that are in good condition, ordering tpms sensors from eBay, set 4 - 10 year warranty $100, lug nuts set $40, Solas tires 235/60R17 set 4 $400, door jam sticker $10, mount balance another $100. So I'm in for about $950.

·
Registered
26 Posts
2006 Touring Depax Question. I bought new 17" rims from LKQ on ebay and Michelen tires from Sams. I also bought new tpms for the tires and installed them myself. Sams then mouted the tires. The tpms are from ebay from china and have markings similar to Honda TPMS and are supposed to be OEM. They are probably seconds that Honda rejected for cosmetic reason. Will those work on my 2006 Touring model? So far I have driven 200 miles and am loving the new tires but would like to get the tires to show pressure again on the computer. Will I have to buy a computer to program the new tpms or do the turning tpms have to be special units?

·
Registered
26 Posts
OK thanks. It looks like I will have to buy a tpms tool to match the new tires to the Ody Touring. I still have the old tires and rims as they were on the Ody. Do I need to copy the old tire codes to the new tires or is there a generic code to use with the tool? A suggestion on a tool to buy would be very helpful. Thank You

761 - 780 of 819 Posts
About this Discussion
818 Replies
292 Participants
ody__meh
Honda Odyssey Forum
Odyclub community is the #1 forum to discuss all things Honda Odyssey: minivans, safety, service maintenance, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing