Honda Odyssey Forum banner

781 - 800 of 819 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
No, you don't need any tool. You need the correct sensors. The ones on the old wheels will do, so long as the batteries are still working. After a point, many of is buy new ones just to have fresh batteries. Otherwise, we';; have to dismount the tires and change sensors when the batteries fail.

With the correct sensors in the wheels, the car just senses them and works. Likewise with a rotation of tires, etc. They're great, but if you have the non-touring sensors in wheels on a touring, that's the same as having no sensors-- they cannot (to my knowledge, and I've read on this a lot) be reprogrammed.

So the good news is you don't need a tool. The bad news is you'll have to have the tires removed from the rims, swap the sensors, then remount. Hopefully your tire folks will be able to match the tires to the rims accurately enough that they don't have to rebalance. That's commonly done on flat repairs-- marking the tire at the valve stem with chalk is one way. Then line it back up when remounting and don't switch the rims and tires at all.

Assuming the old rims are your source for the sensors, dismounting those takes a special machine at a Honda dealer or specialty tire shop. That's why you'll often run across old PAX rims for sale with rectangles cut out of the tires that are still on the rims. People chop holes to get to the sensors. Some dealers charge on the order of $50 per wheel to dismount the tires. New sensors cost around $25 per wheel, if memory serves. That's $100 (4 x $25) well spent to avoid hassles, in my opinion.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Wherever you buy from, do be certain they're for the touring edition. You cannot mix or swap touring vs. non-touring sensors. You can buy at a local Honda dealer, but I think they were close to $50 apiece. I think I bought from an online dealer, and now I can't recall who it was, but I ultimately called the dealer and confirmed they were for the touring-- I found too many conflicting part numbers on-line...

·
Registered
261 Posts
So I'm getting my stuff together to depax. Found some 17 inch 2009 Pilot rims $90 each from salvage yard that are in good condition, ordering tpms sensors from eBay, set 4 - 10 year warranty $100, lug nuts set $40, Solas tires 235/60R17 set 4 $400, door jam sticker $10, mount balance another $100. So I'm in for about $950.
Ended up getting 2010 Acura TL 17 inch rims set of 4 for $200.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
261 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I finally did a DePax on my 08.

i was having a hard time finding some good takeoffs on Craigslist and ended up going the Tire rack route

i ordered the Sport Edition A11 in a 17" and Michelin Premier LTX 235/60/17 - Wheels even came with lug nuts and hub centric rings.

Ripped the old sensors out of the PAX wheels and put them on the new ones. Mount, balance and Donzo.

Looks Great and rides so much better. Relatively inexpensive too compared to some of the OEM setups on ebay.

I also had a good friend print out some vinyl Honda logos to complete the OEM look

IMG_3501.jpg IMG_3502.jpg IMG_3503.jpg

·
Registered
37 Posts
Finally DEPAX my 2005 Odyssey and car has spare...special thanks to this forum for helping. Will post more pics after a full detail soon...

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
2005 Odyssey Touring

17in WHEELS with
OEM TPMS INSTALLED
Continental TrueContact Tires...
CollegeHonda 17in Spare kit..

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
DePax Checkup

Couple questions before depaxing an Odyssey '06:
  1. All or half: Only my front treads are worn. Can I do fronts now and the backs a year from now? Or will that be destabilizing? I don't really care about the visual difference between the front & back rims.
  2. Spares: PPL are buying new spares- Why do I need a new spare tire? Can I just grab one from a junker?
  3. Alignment: My alignment guy won't do PAX - once I depax will be able to get a standard alignment?
  4. Lugs: If I get 09 Acura MDX rims- can I use Lugs from the old car (Acura MDX) or does the MDX have something other than M14x1.5 threaded nuts? Will any Cone Seat Style Lug Nuts (M14 x 1.5 Thread Size) suffice or do they need a specific length. (like B00I82CIAM)
  5. Pressure: What tire pressure should I use in my tires once I depax?
  6. OE Size: What was the original '06 Pax Size tire? I'm trying to double check if 235/55R18 will have the right circumference / speedometer readings.
  7. Mounting: Is the mounting balancing programming something a local tire shop can do readily? If I buy it all from Tirerack will they mount balance like any other package?
My Depax:
  1. Rims: a. either: 2008 18" Acura MDX rims / wheels (local MDX owner ~ $100 / rim) + McGard M14x1.5 lug nuts (Amazon) McGard 64014 cone style. They are slightly long. $12/ tire Total $112/ rim.
    b. X1 - compatible with MDX '09. Tirerack $129/rim + ~$11 shipping
  2. Tires: - General AltiMAX RT43 235/55R18 rated 95% best (Tire Rack) ~$128 / tire + ~$11 shipping
  3. TPMS: Schrader 28981 (compatible with Odyssey 06.) Amazon - $31/tire (original 06421-S3V-A04)
Let me know your opinion :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2008 Touring. Do you think that I can get away with 18" wheels from a Honda Pilot?
The rims should be identical to the 18" rims that fit 2009 MDX - Bolt Pattern: 5 x 120.65mm. Offset: 45mm - Go to tirerack - put both cars in and see if the same rims fit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
New To Group

I see alot of the post seem to be a few years old. Just been Watching Videos and reading in the group about Depaxing the Van. Are there any better deals now on how to get the job done. I like the MDX sport rims I've seen. most seem to be in upwards of 1500 or so to have for everything done. So looking for reasonable priced Rims, Tires. have 2 flat tires and need done Asap.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I wondering will you do just 2 or all 4 at once? I was considering doing just the fronts now and rears another time.

I was chatting with tirerack and they have a great deal. They will mount the whole thing for you - and even throw in RFB road force balance and nickel plated lugs - my local shop charges about $200 for that. All you would need to do is bolt it up when you get them. Mine is '06 touring so I'm having them confirm the TPMS

1. Rims: X1 - compatible with MDX '09. comes with Lugs, Tirerack $129/rim + ~$11 shipping
  2. Tires: General AltiMAX RT43 235/55R18 rated better than 95% in class. As a set comes with mounting, RFB (TR) ~$128 / tire + ~$11 shipping
  3. TPMS: compatible with dealer part: 06421-S3V-A04 like Schrader 28981 (compatible with Odyssey '06.) TR- $31/tire others reported it working with no actual programming
When they mount everything there's less to ship and you save there too. On TR you can even see what the rims will look like on the Van! :)

·
Registered
257 Posts
7/16" hole AN washer. If you can't find them locally, large racer supply houses(Jegs, etc) have them in bulk(boxes of 20-50), and in stainless steel.
thank you for this info - I had weeks looking for the washers and found them on ebay "JEGS Performance Products 82103 7/16" Stainless Steel AN Washers"

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone. Been a lurker here for years, but I now have an issue and I know there are some amazing experts here.

I have a '09 Touring with PAX. I was able to find a set of the 17" OEM 5 spoke wheels that came with the Touring Non-PAX vans. The idea was to keep everything OEM. Mounted up the wheels and new tires. I also purchased new TPMS sensors, also OEM. You now know where I am going with this. According to all the Honda ordering catalogs, the sensors listed are the same for both the PAX and Non-PAX Touring wheels. Part # 42753-SHJ-A53. (There is a different part number listed for the EX and EX-L models.)
My van will not sync with these sensors. I had it at the local Discount Tire shop and they couldn't get it to work. I took it to my local Honda Dealer and they can't get them to connect either. They confirmed that I had the proper part number listed for both the PAX and Non-PAX as the replacement. The TPMS system worked perfectly up until the day I took the PAX tires off and put the new wheels on so I know the system in the car is still good. New sensors are sending signals.
I know Honda gave up on PAX and I know the original sensors to fit the PAX wheel were different in appearance. Did Honda really change up the frequency between the PAX and Non-PAX models in what they installed on the van? Seems that that would be stupid to have a third version of hardware to install on the van.
Please don't tell me I should have used the old sensors. They are gone, plus after 10 years the battery was weak and you can't replace just the battery on these sensors otherwise I would have done that. I was trying to be proactive and not have to deal with the sensors for the next 10 years.
I know I can't be the first person to have this issue but I have not been able to find any other threads on this using all OEM parts. Is there a specific TPMS tool out there that can get these to talk to each other?

Yes, I know that the TPMS system on the Touring models is supposed to adapt and learn after driving for a certain number of miles. Well I have driven over 500 miles and still no connection.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Mark

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have a 2006 Touring model. Maybe something changed on the newer models, but I’m immediately concerned when I hear that people are “trying to make sensors work” because the way you "make the sensors work" for my 2006 Touring model is you put the wheels on the car with the sensors installed and you’re done.

There’s nothing to program-- they start working almost immediately— we’re talking in a mile or less. I De-Paxed to BMW X5 Rims first with a new set of sensors and they programmed right away. Later I swapped for 2006 OEM Honda (non-Pax) Rims. Again, they programmed as soon as the car was moving beyond parking lot speed. 3 sets of sensors. All worked with no programming. One set I personally removed from the little Honda plastic bags.

I think you have the wrong sensors.

42753-SHJ-A53 <— (your number) looks like it fits a Honda Ridgeline

https://www.hondapartsunlimited.com/?p=catalog&mode=search&search_in=all&search_str=42753-shj-a53&sfid=gcp:se_39964:t_kwd-355424445010:ag_49861946834:cp_360134056:n_g:d_c:cr_245685737989:fi_&gclid=CjwKCAjwwdTbBRAIEiwAYQf_Ex34AJjt7LtsmiDA9PRfW7u1sx-i3Wnayr45zxQtU_hrzR2_4r77yxoCz5wQAvD_BwE

06421-S3V-A04 <— looks like what you need

https://www.hondapartworld.com/1800_06421-S3V-A04?keyword=TPMS Sensor

I’d web-search your part number some more, then I’d ask whoever looked up that part number from Honda and see if they gave you the wrong part.

781 - 800 of 819 Posts
About this Discussion
818 Replies
292 Participants
ody__meh
Honda Odyssey Forum
Odyclub community is the #1 forum to discuss all things Honda Odyssey: minivans, safety, service maintenance, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing