Honda Odyssey Forum banner

801 - 819 of 819 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is interesting. The hondapartworld.com is the only site I have seen with this other part number. (this sensor looks like the right one as well) I have checked 10 other online Honda parts retailers and get the same sensor I have currently. Even the Parts guy at the Honda Dealership after running my VIN came up with the 42753-SHJ-A53 part number. So it would appear that the online catalogs are not correct.

The plot thickens.... If I put in your '06 Touring into the Hondapartsunlimited site I get the same part number you have. But the '08-'10 come up with the part number I have. The non Touring models from '08-'10 use an even different part number. 42753-SHJ-A82

I am going to take this new part number back to my dealer and ask them to pull it up. See that that will work for the '08-'10

Thanks for the updated part number.

·
Registered
107 Posts
After Market Depax

I finally Depaxed my '07 Touring today. Since it is nearly 12 years old, I didn't care about keeping an OEM look and wanted to get good tires while keeping the price tag as low as possible. I ended up getting new wheels (Drag DR-70 16x7), General Altimax RT43 Tires (235/65 R16), and 4 TPMS sensors from Discount Tire. It was just under $1125 total including lug nuts, all services, and sales tax.

There were only 2 things I ran into:

- They wouldn't sell me 235/60 R17 tires because the load rating was 102T. They would only sell me tires with a load rating of 103T or higher (PAX are 104T load rating) even though I showed them information about tire recommendations from College Hills Honda. They would have sold me 235/65 R17 tires (104T load rating), but the speedometer / odometer would have been off, and the sidewalls were the same height as with 16" tires which kind of defeats the purpose of larger wheels. Also it would have been a bit more money as well.

- Their computer system said HUF TPMS sensors were what they offered that would work with the Touring. These however did not work and I had to return to the store. They realized their TPMS programming tool only had a Schrader part number listed for the Touring and the technician must have just selected a lower trim level when programming the TPMS. The correct sensors were 50% more expensive ($60 each vs $40 each) but they changed the sensors for no additional cost.

It's all working well now, and I'm happy with the results. I figure I saved over $300 compared to installing another set of PAX tires. The steering feels lighter, and it rides better. Good to be heading into winter with a new set of tires. Next stop is a junk yard to get a spare.

View attachment 144741

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
There were only 2 things I ran into:

- They wouldn't sell me 235/60 R17 tires because the load rating was 102T. They would only sell me tires with a load rating of 103T or higher (PAX are 104T load rating) even though I showed them information about tire recommendations from College Hills Honda. They would have sold me 235/65 R17 tires (104T load rating), but the speedometer / odometer would have been off, and the sidewalls were the same height as with 16" tires which kind of defeats the purpose of larger wheels. Also it would have been a bit more money as well.
This is just stupid. My 08 Ody Touring came with 235/60/17 102T load rating Michelin tires right off the showroom floor. That is the factory tire. The run flats just happen to have a higher load rating than the Ody needs. To just go with "what is on the car now" is just a sign of ignorance on the part of the person you got selling you tires. Every tire shop around sells 235/60/17 for the Ody. Even Discount Tire's website lists 102t and 102H tires as the proper tires for the Ody Touring. If you look up the Touring w/PAX they have no tires. It is not required to use the same load rating as the PAX tires. In 2007 there was no offering of the Touring without PAX tires but to require the higher load rating on non-pax tires is just a sign of ignorance.

·
Registered
107 Posts
This is just stupid. My 08 Ody Touring came with 235/60/17 102T load rating Michelin tires right off the showroom floor. That is the factory tire. The run flats just happen to have a higher load rating than the Ody needs. To just go with "what is on the car now" is just a sign of ignorance on the part of the person you got selling you tires. Every tire shop around sells 235/60/17 for the Ody. Even Discount Tire's website lists 102t and 102H tires as the proper tires for the Ody Touring. If you look up the Touring w/PAX they have no tires. It is not required to use the same load rating as the PAX tires. In 2007 there was no offering of the Touring without PAX tires but to require the higher load rating on non-pax tires is just a sign of ignorance.
I don't disagree with you, and like I said I tried to argue showing there was still an excess load capacity with the 102T, but they were not budging from what their computer system was telling them. I didn't think to look up the Non-PAX tires for an '08 Touring though.

The overriding factors in my decision were I wanted to get everything from a single local shop in case I ran into issues (glad I did given the TPMS sensor issue encountered) and wanted to spend as little as possible but still get good quality tires. Their wheel prices were better than other places, so that led me to go this route. Anyway, it's done, the 16" tires saved me nearly another $100 over 17" tires, and I'm happy with the decision.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Successfully De-Pax'd

Hello OdyClub -- new member here.

Thanks to the contributions on this post, I've successfully de-pax'd my '07 Touring.

Got 18x8 take-offs from a 2018 Honda Ridgeline/Pilot that I got on Craigslist for $350 (for the ENTIRE set!), and the seller turned out to be a Honda dealership manager (they sell take-offs on the side to avoid liability). I love the way it looks even more than the touring rims, which I actually liked a lot.

Got tires and sensors installed at Discount Tire. TPMS system works. Tires are 235/55/18. Load rating is 104V. Did not need new lugs.

Rims = $350
Tires/TPMS = $766.64
Alignment = $70
Never having to worry about finding a PAX-capable tire/alignment shop and pay exorbitant amounts for everything = PRICELESS
Total = $1,186.64

Pics are attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
So, I am looking to DePax my 2007. Once I reset the PAX warning message, is that something permanent or does it have to be reset periodically?

·
Registered
11 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
So, I de-Paxed my 2007 Touring with the wheels/TPMS sensors from the eBay seller below. My TPMS warning light will not go out. It has been a week and a half and over 500 miles (including doing the under 15 MPH for >40 seconds) and still have the fault. Thoughts?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/17-NEW-HONDA-ODYSSEY-DEPAX-PAX-REPLACEMENT-WHEEL-RIMS-W-TPMS-2007-to-2010/222176635777?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
My only thought is there is some issue with the TPMS sensors they provided - either not compatible or are not programmed correctly.

When I Depaxed, I initially was provided with sensors that were incompatible with the Touring, even though Discount Tire's computer system listed them as compatible. The warning light / display wouldn't clear after driving for about 30 minutes and over 10 miles.

I then took it back later that afternoon, they discovered their error (programming tool didn't have Touring listed for installed sensors), installed different TPMS that were compatible (50% higher price which they covered) and programmed them for the Touring. The TPMS warnings all cleared on their own as I drove and less than a mile after leaving the shop. Everything has been good for the 3 months and 2,000 miles since.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Spare takeoff for depax

My depax has been working out great BUT I never ended up with a spare tire BECAUSE silly me bought 18" rims from tirerack with a different sized tire than standard MDX tires. The tires I bought are General AltiMAX RT43 235/55R18 has a diameter (standing height) of 28.2 Revs/mile 716 - whereas the MDX 09 tires are little bigger - 29" with 695 Revs/mile. If you use a incorrectly sized tire in the front - that could damage the car. Is it possible to find a take off spare donut that will match the rims (offsets etc) and be the right diameter?? 09 MDX won't work but is there a way to figure out what car's donut (if any) will work?

(ps. Get your calcs at: https://tiresize.com/calculator/)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Looking to depax my 2005 touring.

Found a set of 2018 Odyssey wheels with 235/60/18 tires.

If I don't care about TPMS, and a slight variation in speedo readings due to larger tire size, is everything else ok?

I believe they are 5x120 ET50. Does anyone have any experience?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks, that is what I thought, I contacted the seller andhe replaced the senders, but I have the same issue. Am trying to get the part number that he used. Do you by by any chance, have the pert number that you used?

·
Registered
11 Posts
So I got the Foxwell NT510 scan tool and was able to reset the TPMS error. I could then see that the right front sensor was not working, so the error comes back. Took the Ody to the tire dealer and they claim that their computer cannot even see the TPMS computer. Has anyone heard of the receiver (initiator in Honda speak) failing? I have not looked for it, so I don't even know where it is located.

If we get a break in the weather this weekend, I think I will swap the tires front to rear and see if the problem moves.

Tire dealer claims that only Honda may be able to fix this, but I wonder if I go to a Honda dealer how much crap they are going to give me for having de-paxed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello everyone,
This thread has amazing details and spent lot of time going through it. I have a 2006 odyssey touring with PAX, I am planning to depax as the tires are almost three years and time to replace. I saw the following in craigslist that used Chevy wheels and the owner depaxed with these tires/wheels, but I have never seen those in this thread discussion. The owner had to sell his van and put back the pax tires and selling these now. Do you think I can go ahead buy them. I need to get TPMS and installed later. Any advice? - Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an 06 touring, wondering if I can depax using a 20" wheel if so any wheel would work as long as its bolt pattern is 5x120?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I am new here. Long-time reader, first-time poster... :ROFLMAO:

Anyway, I have a 2007 honda odyssey touring. We bought it used about 4 1/2 years ago. Well over this past winter we had a tire pop on us and we found out that we were graced with pax tires. Didn't know it when we bought it, or we would have probably passed tbh... anyway we bought one tire for nearly 500 with the install and a maintenance check-up. It is about time to have the other 4 replaced... and I WILL NOT put another 400 something tire on there. not happening. So we are looking to depax. I have done some research and I have looked at college hill depax kits and I have called around locally and most people don't know what I am talking about. Anyway, I do not want to put a whole lot of money into my 12-year-old van. So I don't want any fancy rims. I am looking for advice on the cheapest rims that will work on my van. I saw some on walmart.com for around 50.00 per rim. They are basically what college hill offers for their cheapest kit, without the hubcaps. However, Walmart doesn't say if they come with lugnuts or if I can use the ones I already have... The pros of going with college hill are; I know that everything will work and I will have what I need. However, it is a little more than I would like to spend on the rims only. I still need to buy tires and then have to pay to have them installed and balanced etc... anyone have any advice or links for me? Also, if anyone has a recommendation for tires I would appreciate that as well.

Thanks guys,
Bossladyhoward

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi, I am new here. Long-time reader, first-time poster... :ROFLMAO:

Anyway, I have a 2007 honda odyssey touring. We bought it used about 4 1/2 years ago. Well over this past winter we had a tire pop on us and we found out that we were graced with pax tires. Didn't know it when we bought it, or we would have probably passed tbh... anyway we bought one tire for nearly 500 with the install and a maintenance check-up. It is about time to have the other 4 replaced... and I WILL NOT put another 400 something tire on there. not happening. So we are looking to depax. I have done some research and I have looked at college hill depax kits and I have called around locally and most people don't know what I am talking about. Anyway, I do not want to put a whole lot of money into my 12-year-old van. So I don't want any fancy rims. I am looking for advice on the cheapest rims that will work on my van. I saw some on walmart.com for around 50.00 per rim. They are basically what college hill offers for their cheapest kit, without the hubcaps. However, Walmart doesn't say if they come with lugnuts or if I can use the ones I already have... The pros of going with college hill are; I know that everything will work and I will have what I need. However, it is a little more than I would like to spend on the rims only. I still need to buy tires and then have to pay to have them installed and balanced etc... anyone have any advice or links for me? Also, if anyone has a recommendation for tires I would appreciate that as well.

Thanks guys,
Bossladyhoward
I Depaxed my '07 touring last November and I was the same in that I didn't want to spend much. See posts #802 - 804 above regarding my experience.

I think I paid about $80 a wheel and I'm happy with how they look. I purchased the General Altimax RT43 Tires as they were highly rated by Consumer Reports and at $100 per Tire were very reasonably priced. They worked great during the winter, and I now have about 10K miles on them. So far I'm very happy with how they perform.

At the time I looked on the Discount Tire website and put in my vehicle as an EX-L to get pricing for wheels and tires. I then went into my local Discount Tire shop to finalize things and order wheels, tires, lug nuts, TPMS, and services. I went this direction because I wanted one local place providing everything so if there were issues encountered I didn't have more than 1 place to deal with and avoid potential finger pointing. You could take this same approach with other tire dealers.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently installed BMW X5 wheels (style 209 18x8.5). Bought Schrader 28981 TMPS (for 2006 Touring) and McGard lugnuts on Amazon. I ended up going with Nitto Crosstek II 235/55-18 from NTB (who I swore I would never return to after problems 19 years ago) So far so good. I just hope it's decent in snow.

801 - 819 of 819 Posts
About this Discussion
818 Replies
292 Participants
ody__meh
Honda Odyssey Forum
Odyclub community is the #1 forum to discuss all things Honda Odyssey: minivans, safety, service maintenance, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing