Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
I have used the Prestone Long-Life product and found it to be very good. Honda's claims for their coolant exceed those of the Dex-Cool stuff, so I fail to see any reason to substitute.

Jerry O.

2001 GG LX

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have used a coolant similar to Dex-Cool for over 100K in my Diesel truck. At 88k (50k on the coolant)I changed hoses and thermostat and the hoses and other visible parts contacted by the coolant were cleaner than any engine I had previously examined. I have 136+k on the truck and still have the original water pump, radiator, heater core etc. Some using other coolants have replaced some or all of these components in far less miles.
As far as the warranty issue: A manufacturer cannot deny warranty coverage soley because you use an aftermarket product unless it is SPECIFICALLY PROHIBITED and so stated in the warranty. They have to PROVE the aftermarket product CAUSED the problem. If a manufacturer REQUIRES you to use a specific product as a condition of maintaining your warranty, they have to provide the product at no cost to you during the warranty period.
Magnusson-Moss (or is it Moss-Magnusson) warranty act.

Regards
Al

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have used Dexcool in my Volkswagen Vanagon since I bought it in 1992. Not a problem with it, although I recommend when mixing it with water, use distilled.

·
Registered
6 Posts
re Dexcool

check out bonnevilleclub.com and search Dexcool. They call it Deathcool, it seems to become acidic with age and attacks intake manifold manifold gaskets. This causes coolant to mix with the oil, and will lead to spun journal bearings. Many members on the forum experienced the failure. Wise members drained and flushed Deathcool out, and replaced with traditional green.

I did this on my Olds 88 (96 model) and never had the heads off (sold last month, running great)

Don't put Dexcool into any vehicle you care about.

·
Registered
7 Posts
GM puts the Honda 3.5L v6 in some of their Saturn Vues. They use Dex-cool in them. I can't find the source but honda has said that dexcool's chemistry does not meet the requirements for the Honda V6 internals.

Since you don't have to do it often, I'd stay away from Dexcool in the honda v6, and if you insist on changing coolants, I'd consider an all-makes/world coolant like a G-05.

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
Re: re Dexcool

Audissey said:
check out bonnevilleclub.com and search Dexcool. They call it Deathcool, it seems to become acidic with age and attacks intake manifold manifold gaskets. This causes coolant to mix with the oil, and will lead to spun journal bearings. Many members on the forum experienced the failure. Wise members drained and flushed Deathcool out, and replaced with traditional green.....
I've heard this from a couple Chevy and GM truck forums when I was lurking and searching for info on hydraulic filters, and stumbled onto the topic of coolant filters.

They call it "deathcool", too.

Coincidence?

OF

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Dexcool is fine in applications it was meant for. GM's problems with intake manifold gaskets leaking coolant into oil was a poor gasket design issue for a plastic intake meeting a metal block. The gasket was adequate for a metal-metal level of differential thermal expansion, but not metal/plastic. Typical GM issue of the day (no longer a problem on their current cars).

But the problems started surfacing not too far after the introduction of Dexcool, so internet "experts" (like me! ;) ) jumped to conclusions.

All that said, you change the stuff so rarely, just use the Honda coolant on a Honda engine. Obsess about OIL instead....

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Nothing but Honda lubricants meet Honda specs if you ask Honda. Unfortunately whether a product is good or bad is determined by lawyers in this country, not engineers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts