Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I did search and read but I am posting this to find out specifically if anyone has had any problems after using Dexron in their transmission. Also does it matter which version of Dexron is used?

Thanks so much,

Ravi

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure how to take the lack of response - is it that people are using Dexron with great results or no one is using Dexron??

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
I'm very reluctant to experiment with ATF given the potential problems with the Ody's transmission. So I've only used Z1 and Amsoil.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Your tranny is probably doomed no matter what fluid you use, or whether you have a tranny cooler.

I've used Valvoline MaxLife. It drove and shifted fine on MaxLife, but it may be starting to flare sometimes, the 3rd gear clutch may be disintegrating.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks aaronm, my 2002 is at the shop as we speak. It just started to slip into 3rd. 243,000 plus km and I am happy that it lasted so long. The tranny builder is using Dexron and I justed wanted some opinions on this. Unfortunately I can't find Valvoline Maxlife in Toronto and Dexron is easy to find.

Thanks

Ravi

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
I've used Valvoline MaxLife DexMerc for many thousands of miles with no problems. Good driveability, not expensive, so I was doing a drain/refill with each oil change. The only reason I stopped using it was that it became very difficult to find in my 4x4 town (not four wheel drive, but 4 miles by 4 miles in size). Have no idea why WalMart stopped carrying it, as it was a very strong seller.

funfinder4 and MTPockets80 have also used it with good results. I've got AmSOil ATF in both Odys right now having done 2 drain/refills, and the third one coming up soon. I can tell no real difference between the ATF-Z1 and the other high quality products, other than it feels like the shifts are slightly "crisper" (firmer?) in a proper way when using the MaxLife or AmSOil products.

OF

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just had my transmission rebuilt at 150k. Shop prefers Dextron instead of Honda fluid in our older vehicles. I double checked with another transmission shop and got the same answer. Honda fluid is superior in newer models.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Also does it matter which version of Dexron is used?
I haven't used Dexron, but the 2004 owner's manual says that Dexron III can be used as a "temporary replacement" for the Honda ATF-Z1. :nervous:

IIRC, ATF-Z1 has been replaced by DW-1, too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts