Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2016 Honda Odyssey. RPM jump when shifting. More noticable going up hill. Happens around 40 mph at normal throttle. I think it maybe related to service bulletin 17-043. I am looking for some guidance.
This is a video of RPM and speed.

Does the dealership charge to do software updates that the manufacturer releases?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Just get the fluid serviced. That is the shudder, but a single fluid change should fix something that minor. Keep up on it better in the future (every 15k miles do a drain+fill, or more often if you are willing to do it yourself).

If you do it at the dealer, they should reprogram the ECM for free if an update is available while you are in for service.

-Charlie

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your responses. I have not changed transmission fluid as of yet at 79k miles. I will have Southeastern Honda do a "transmission service major" for $230 and request they do this service bulletin. Then start doing my own drain and fills every 15k miles after that. I have also skipped Coolant Flush, Fuel Induction Service, Brake Flush, & Coil Spring Seat replacement. When you are being charge $71 to replace a $9 cabin air filter you lose trust in dealer service recommendations. Should I rush any of these skipped maintenance suggestions? I would think Brake and Coolant should just be a drain and fill at 100k miles. I could be wrong. I thought transmission fluid drain and fill could wait until 100k also.

·
Registered
167 Posts
  • Coolant should be replaced every 6 years (or when you do the timing belt/water pump at 105k miles - it is part of that job)
  • Brake fluid should be every 3 years (you are due)
  • Fuel induction service (I assume they mean fuel injector cleaning) is not needed basically ever
Transmission fluid changes are NOT OPTIONAL. You should have completed at least 2 by now. A few hundred here and there or a guaranteed transmission replacement for a few thousand - your choice!

Or, learn how to DIY and the trans fluid change is <$50...

-Charlie

·
Registered
13,602 Posts
The MID sets codes for maintenance items. You can use the oil life confidently, no need to keep track of miles. The MID sets codes for other items based on how many oil change intervals there have been. You must wait until the MID shows 15% oil life left for the other codes to show. (there is a way to look at what's next) The trans fluid would be a code C on the fourth oil change. That is also the interval for the cabin & engine filter. Brake fluid gets replaced every 3 years regardless of miles (much cheaper than ABS components) Ignore the dealer generated "services" and do what Honda recommends. Read the manual, it's all in there. You can even look at a pdf of the manual at: https://owners.honda.com/
By the way, the real Honda cabin filter is more like $20. and there are models that changing it is a bigger deal than your van. The change is just flat rate pricing. They do have to empty your glove box, touching stuff that isn't theirs. Just think about what they have encountered...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you again. I just got back from Southeastern Honda and it seems to be fixed. I setup an appointment for the "major transmission service," thinking that I would have to pay since I was over the milage warranty. However, once I mentioned the service bulletin they said they would have to complete a snap shot diagnostic before updating the software. I thought to myself, great another fee. To my surprise once the judder was confirmed Honda covered the total cost to perform the maintenance suggested by the service bulletin. On my drive home no judder was notice. Now I wonder if the brake rotors I just replaced myself would have been covered under the brake issse service bulletin.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Thank you again. I just got back from Southeastern Honda and it seems to be fixed. I setup an appointment for the "major transmission service," thinking that I would have to pay since I was over the milage warranty. However, once I mentioned the service bulletin they said they would have to complete a snap shot diagnostic before updating the software. I thought to myself, great another fee. To my surprise once the judder was confirmed Honda covered the total cost to perform the maintenance suggested by the service bulletin. On my drive home no judder was notice. Now I wonder if the brake rotors I just replaced myself would have been covered under the brake issse service bulletin.
Thank you for your responses. I have not changed transmission fluid as of yet at 79k miles. I will ha
When you are being charged $71 to replace a $9 cabin air filter you lose trust in dealer service recommendations. Should I rush any of these skipped maintenance suggestions? I would think Brake and Coolant should just be a drain and fill at 100k miles. I could be wrong. I thought transmission fluid drain and fill could wait until 100k also.
s
Find yourself a local independent shop to do your work. Make sure you check their reviews and make sure that they are comfortable working on your Ody. The following is good reading: Honda's Attack Against Independent Repairers And Non-Honda New Car Dealers Honda Odysseys are not mystery vehicles to work on. Mechanics do not need special Honda training to work on Hondas.

·
Registered
13,602 Posts
I have, until my Ody got really old, always used the dealer for service, but never paid them to change an engine or cabin filter. And let me tell you, changing that filter on my generation Ody is a project worth what the dealer wanted to charge. But I did have an Ody that had a known problematic transmission. One of our two Odys actually got the trans replaced at a very reduced price at over 140k by that dealer. That happened because I had a history of dealer service. I doubt I would have got that from an independant garage. In fact, what drove me to the dealer was an independant garage that wanted to (actually charged my wife for) a full old fashioned 30k service, including replacing the coolant. Luckily I don't think they actually did that. I also found out later that the two major repairs we paid them for on the previous Honda had service bulletins on them and Honda would have fixed them for free. All this said, I do think we lucked out on the particular dealer. Many folks have a really crappy one. Or happen to get a desperate service writer who needs to make boat payments. But that happens at independants as well.

As an additional recommendation for dealer service, we have the experience here of having a 3X fluid change done on Honda's dime. Of course in 79k they never recommended he change the fluid...

·
Registered
696 Posts
I brought my first new car from a new car dealer when I got back from Vietnam in 1969. I quickly learned to call them Stealerships!!! And I have not been back to a Honda dealer for maintenance since the day a so-called "head mechanic" called me an idiot right in the waiting room in front of everybody. This idiot isn't stupid. Stupid is the guy who spits in the hand of the person feeding him!!! I had a friend who was a service writer. He said he was nothing but a glorified "add on" sales person. His job was to add something extra on to that service bill!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts