Honda Odyssey Forum banner

diagnostic mode

11K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  mjody 
#1 ·
I have a 2010 odyssey with a check engine light. How do I put it in diagnostic mode to dump the codes? I assume they will print to the display under the speedo?

#2 ·
You need an OBD-II scanner. Google will show a bunch of hits on that term. They're commonly available at most auto parts stores, Sears, or similar stores. If you don't want to buy one, many auto parts stores or maintenance places will pull the codes from your car for free (hoping you'll buy the repair parts or services from them). But if you're going to do much DIY auto maintenance on newer cars these days, you need to get your own scanner.

If yours is 2010, it's probably under warranty, so you may want to have the dealer pull the code and fix it.

Most scanners will not only pull the codes, but will also reset your check engine light. Of course, if the underlying cause isn't fixed, the light will probably come back on in awhile.

#5 ·
So Honda does not have a built-in diagnostics mode? Chevy has had that for like 10 years... so have many other makes. Usually they will dump codes to the odometer display when you activate diagnostic mode. Others will blink a light at you in morse-code fashion to indicate a code. Are you sure Honda does not have such a thing?

I guess I need to go ahead and buy the factory service manuals...

ElChichicuilote said:
You need an OBD-II scanner. Google will show a bunch of hits on that term. They're commonly available at most auto parts stores, Sears, or similar stores. If you don't want to buy one, many auto parts stores or maintenance places will pull the codes from your car for free (hoping you'll buy the repair parts or services from them). But if you're going to do much DIY auto maintenance on newer cars these days, you need to get your own scanner.

If yours is 2010, it's probably under warranty, so you may want to have the dealer pull the code and fix it.

Most scanners will not only pull the codes, but will also reset your check engine light. Of course, if the underlying cause isn't fixed, the light will probably come back on in awhile.

#6 ·
jo8243 said:
I have plenty of experience repairing cars. Anyway, if it's a simple "gas cap loose" code I don't want to waste my time driving to the dealer. Thanks for your useless comment.
Experienced eh? It is manadatory for vehicles to have a self-diagnostic mode. :D

Don't buy manuals, get the code read for free and post it here. There are some techs or super-knowledgable folks here that can tell you what route to take after you post the code.

Doesn' the 2010 tell you to "check fuel cap" on the display if it loose? :confused:

Welcome by the way, Mr. 4 post guy. ;)

#7 ·
mjody said:

There are some techs or super-knowledgable folks here that can tell you what route to take after you post the code.
Apparently some folks are just here to respond sarcastically and insult newcomers. FYI, a low post count has zilch to do with someone's troubleshooting skills. A large post count usually means someone is active in an off-topic forum.

c-ya

#8 ·
jo8243 said:
Apparently some folks are just here to respond sarcastically and insult newcomers. FYI, a low post count has zilch to do with someone's troubleshooting skills. A large post count usually means someone is active in an off-topic forum.

c-ya
Not trying to insult at all. Diag modes have been around for 20 years on essentially all cars. Just get the code(s) and post them. Lots of super smart folks here will have an answer.

"New dad" seems to have the inside track on TSB's, might even be one for your van.

ps: you think I am, sarcastic, wait till wild willy shoes up.

#9 ·
Oh and just a non-insulting fyi, but Honda seems to be even more jerkish when warrantying their vehicles. So before you dig into yours, just a heads up that a dealer may try the "you effed with it so not a warranty issue." ;)

It has happened here to other owners.

#10 ·
Don't know what GM cars you are seeing a code readout on. OBD2 has been mandatory and that ended the avility to scan out the codes. Since then you needed an OBD2 scanner to read the computer data. My 2006 GM vehicle definetly does not have the ability. It is possible on some high end luxury vehicles may have special features to show the code but the general car lines do not. To read the codes you need an OBD2 reader or scanner and if you want to diagnose the data in the computer you need a good scanner.

#12 ·
That is a basic code reader and does not give you the ability to look at other diagnostic data such as the sensers, O2 senser voltage and current, graph plotting, ability to save scans, etc. It is ok if all you want is the code and be able to reset the code. The manufacturer calles it a scanner but it is actually a code reader.

#14 ·
Only stating the facts so the op understands what he is buying. Your laptop cannot read out all the 200 or so readings that a true scanner can get for diagnosis purposes unless it is set up with a cable and scanner software to communicate with the PCM. Also resetting the cel just before having the EPA inspection will get a failure around here. Resetting the code resets the whole PCM and resets all the runtime checks to not complete. Some of them require several run cycles to become complete. Depending on how intermitent the failure is the CEL will probably be back on by the time all the run time tests are complete.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.