Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 Honda Odyssey EX-L with 73,000 miles, original owner. Garage kept, well maintained, and driven kindly.

The check engine light happened to come on two days ago during the a 1/4 mile drive from the garage to the bus stop. This happened to be the same day my wife was taking it for the annual safety/emission inspection. The inspection facility determined the codes; Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) P0300 through P0306 - Cylinders 1-6 Misfire detected as well as Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected. The mechanic suggested it may be spark plugs. We also called the Honda dealership and they suggested spark plugs as well. The check engine light self-cleared later that day and has not come back. 2 days later I changed all 6 spark plugs with NGK Laser Iridium plugs purchased at Advance Auto Parts.

My wife will take it back to the inspection station tomorrow to see if the codes have cleared.

My fear is this that the spark plugs were not the problem (they actually looked fine). If the check engine light returns, does anyone have any other suggestions as to the culprit?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I had misfire at cylinders 1 and 3. Initially I thought of bad ignition coils (posted in forum Ohm values).
Tested them all good.

Then I noticed coolant was disappearing, I posted in this thread:

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/52-2005-2010-odyssey/27718-coolant-disappearing-reservoir.html

So for me, the bottom line was porous cylinder head allowing coolant to enter combustion chamber, creating misfire condition.
Both cylinder heads were replaced by dealer under warranty, otherwise it'd be a $3500 bill!

·
Registered
148 Posts
So for me, the bottom line was porous cylinder head allowing coolant to enter combustion chamber, creating misfire condition
That is disgusting. You seem have done all recommended maintenance and more over years. No maintenance can prevent porous cylinder head leaks or bad Honda transmissions.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Dont dispair too quickly. Hopefully that clears it up. You may want to give it a bit more time before you bring it back. In out area, the wont clear a car until its been driven some time after the codes have been cleared.

·
Registered
4 Posts
On my 2003, I was getting a consistent misfire on cylinder #1.
A) Changed all the plugs - at 150K they were near enough to the owners' manual. Cleared code and same code resurfaced - plug NOT the problem.
B) Put new coil (sometimes called "coil pack") on cylinder #1. Same code resurfaced - coil not the problem?
C) Switched the new coil on #1 with the original coil on #6. Same code resurfaced - coil not the problem?
D) Switched the original coil on #1 with the original coil on #4. Same code resurfaced - coil is NOT the problem.
E) Put another new plug (no charge) in #1. Same code resurfaced - plug is definitely NOT the problem.

As the mechanics at my local garage were trying but not succeeding, I took my Ody to the Honda dealer in Woodstock, Ontario.
F) They cleaned the ports of the EGR and FIXED the misfire. Cost $95. There is a service bulletin out on this for older Odys. I noticed it mentioned in another thread. If the hesitation/misfire comes back they will change the EGR filter as their next step. I suspect they found the problem as the ports were dirty/plugged.
Hope that helps!

·
Registered
5 Posts
have 2005 odessy touring. Engine light on. Running rough esp when cold. No ECO light on with highway driving now when engine light on. Dealer initially said new coil needed. They replaced the coil. Light on again, now say loose valve seal. Codes P0300-P0304. Told me they moved spark plugs around, etc. Recommend sending out for valve job.(cyllinder 4 misfire...front head). The car is 170,000 ALL highway miles and oil changed every 3-4000 since beginning. Told catalytic converter will go if not done. Any advice?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Any update on this.. My car is having the same problem and Im having idle n misfire issue.. Even though I got the sparks plugs then..

·
Registered
3 Posts
There are several threads on this issue. Could be a bad plug/coil/fuel pressure regualtor, cylinder head, etc., but on my 05 Touring the problem was that the valves just needed to be adjusted (had 113,000 miles at the time). If you are comfortable doing a timing belt, then the valves shouldn't be too bad as a DIY job. Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Cylinder Misfire Trouble Code 0301

I have an 09 Odyssey EX-L with the VCM engine. A few weeks ago it started to run rough and the Check Engine light began to flash. The P0301 code indicated a misfire in cylinder 1. The mechanic swapped the coil from cylinder 1 to cylinder 4 and the problem went away. A couple of weeks later the engine began running rough again. Diagnostic code indicated misfire in Cylinder 4. I bought a new coil and replaced myself in cylinder 4. Problem disappeared and van ran great for about 2 weeks. This morning upon start it immediately idled rough and after a couple of minutes the check engine light began to flash. The diagnostic code indicates that cylinder 1 is misfiring again. Is this a coincidence that the coil for cylinder 1 is now bad or could something else cause Cylinder 1 to misfire. Vehicle currently has about 225,000 kms and all maintenance has been performed as scheduled. This included new plugs and timing belt when called for at about 160,000 kms. (100,000 miles).

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Are you aware of the extended warranty "recall" for this issue? Search here for info. Also you should get VC Muzzler to disable the VCM feature.

·
Registered
13,444 Posts
I have an 09 Odyssey EX-L with the VCM engine. A few weeks ago it started to run rough and the Check Engine light began to flash. The P0301 code indicated a misfire in cylinder 1. The mechanic swapped the coil from cylinder 1 to cylinder 4 and the problem went away. A couple of weeks later the engine began running rough again. Diagnostic code indicated misfire in Cylinder 4. I bought a new coil and replaced myself in cylinder 4. Problem disappeared and van ran great for about 2 weeks. This morning upon start it immediately idled rough and after a couple of minutes the check engine light began to flash. The diagnostic code indicates that cylinder 1 is misfiring again. Is this a coincidence that the coil for cylinder 1 is now bad or could something else cause Cylinder 1 to misfire. Vehicle currently has about 225,000 kms and all maintenance has been performed as scheduled. This included new plugs and timing belt when called for at about 160,000 kms. (100,000 miles).
Do nothing else. Leave all the codes and drive it to the dealer for new piston rings and spark plugs on those cylinders under warranty. Then when it's all done with that work purchase a VCMuzzler as suggested above.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a 2010 Odyssey with 75k miles and so far I don't have any error codes or CEL. I just read about this extended warranty for engine misfire but without any codes, the dealer will not do this piston rings and spark plug change.
Can I still buy and install the VCMuzzler?

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Yes! Assuming you have the EX-L or Touring model with the VCM feature. Other models of the Odyssey do not have this. If you have VCM, you should definitely buy and install the VC Muzzler.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an 06 Odyssey with VCM. Engine light is on some days, off others. Codes indicate all cylinders mis-firing yet engine runs fine. Replaced all coils and plugs with no luck as engine light came back on. Not sure what to try next. Will this VC Muzzler solve the problem? Thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts