Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys, I will be a new owner of a 2012 EX-L RES Odyssey in Toronto. I just want to ask for you opinion in the lifetime rustproofing package which is offered to me by the dealer at $800 plus tax.

Basically, the package consist of DK900 corrosion control, leather vinyl protection, paint protection and tire/rim protection.

Anyone in Canada bought this package from the dealer or just went out to a 3rd party shops? Or any other options you may suggest like extended warranty instead of this DK package?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
687 Posts
michibahn, welcome to Odyclub. Congratulations on your new "Man Van." Which GTA Honda dealer did you go to and which colour did you get?

I didn't bother with any rust proofing packages. I read that they're not really necessary and just a way for the dealer to make a few extra coin.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/diamond-kote-rustproofing-255255/

http://www.reality-check.ca/threads/144262-Does-DK9000-Diamond-Kote-Corrosion-system-really-work

But it's your decision in the end. During the winter, they do use a lot of salt on Ontario roads and highways, so who knows if the rustproofing will protect against corrosion and salt water damage?

I would recommend you use the $800 and get a decent set of winter tires (and rims). I drove on the stock Michelin all-seasons last winter and there were several instances where winter tires would have made a huge difference!

:)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
michibahn, welcome to Odyclub. Congratulations on your new "Man Van." Which GTA Honda dealer did you go to and which colour did you get?

I didn't bother with any rust proofing packages. I read that they're not really necessary and just a way for the dealer to make a few extra coin.

Diamond Kote Rustproofing - RedFlagDeals.com Forums

Does DK9000 Diamond Kote Corrosion system really work?

But it's your decision in the end. During the winter, they do use a lot of salt on Ontario roads and highways, so who knows if the rustproofing will protect against corrosion and salt water damage?

I would recommend you use the $800 and get a decent set of winter tires (and rims). I drove on the stock Michelin all-seasons last winter and there were several instances where winter tires would have made a huge difference!

:)
Hi Gstom1, I got my White Ody at Action Honda Kingston Road. I was really thinking on getting the DiamondKote. Are you from GTA as well? where did you get yours?

·
Registered
687 Posts
Hi Gstom1, I got my White Ody at Action Honda Kingston Road. I was really thinking on getting the DiamondKote. Are you from GTA as well? where did you get yours?
Yup, I'm in the GTA. I didn't even realize there was a Honda dealer in south Scarborough. My van is approaching one year old. In the fall of 2010, I looked at several places including Centre Honda, Parkway Honda and Markham Honda but I ended up going to Roadsport Honda in mid-Scarborough. So far so good.

;)

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
The only proven rustproofing comes from Krown or RustCheck. The one-shot rustproofing processes don't work, except to pad the dealer's profits. As for the leather, there are many good products mentioned in the forum that probably sell for less than $20.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gstom1... good to know that your Ody is doing good.

davedrivesody... my only concern in Krown is they will remove the panels, sidings etc.. inorder to spray the chemical right? For a brandnew car, I'm afraid that in doing these procedures, they might slightly damaged a part or parts will get loose as they re-install back once done.

Correct me if I'm wrong..

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Krown does not remove the panels on my 2001, just the rear tail lights. They will potentially drill extra holes in the panels around the doors and tailgate if none exist already.

You really have to do some form of rustproofing and Krown is the best IMO.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Krown does not remove the panels on my 2001, just the rear tail lights. They will potentially drill extra holes in the panels around the doors and tailgate if none exist already.

they will drill holes? really? isn't it that is where will start rusting since you opened up a metal in the body without applying paint primer and clear coat?

·
Registered
21 Posts

Does drilling holes not wiken the structure of the body.
My dealer told me that they don't drill holes for this reason.

I opted out of all the extras that the offered me.
Since warranty is there I am thinking about holding off on rust proofing until the warranty is over.

If Petro Canada sells those 1 car wash a day cards again this year I think getting it washed regularly is better then any rust proofing....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does drilling holes not wiken the structure of the body.
My dealer told me that they don't drill holes for this reason.

I opted out of all the extras that the offered me.
Since warranty is there I am thinking about holding off on rust proofing until the warranty is over.

If Petro Canada sells those 1 car wash a day cards again this year I think getting it washed regularly is better then any rust proofing....
Good point on the weakening body structure. Does your dealer covers warranty for exterior rusting? thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Good point on the weakening body structure. Does your dealer covers warranty for exterior rusting? thanks!
Yes the dealer said any rusting is covered for 3 years.
Of course this was all verbal conversation during the sale so who knows what the service rep will tell me.

I will probably krown after the warranty period is up.

check out this link (page 14) for additional info on warranty

http://www.honda.ca/Content/honda.c...nt_FFH/ebiz Honda Warranty 2012 Eng Final.pdf

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes the dealer said any rusting is covered for 3 years.
Of course this was all verbal conversation during the sale so who knows what the service rep will tell me.

I will probably krown after the warranty period is up.

check out this link (page 14) for additional info on warranty

http://www.honda.ca/Content/honda.c...nt_FFH/ebiz Honda Warranty 2012 Eng Final.pdf
thanks for the link.. does this warranty apply for leased vehicles? my dealership still keeps on insisting me to get the DiamondKote package for $775 plus tax which includes undercoating, rust proofing, permashine paint protection and leather protection. I did not confirm yet and told him to give my final decision after 5hrs..

I'm still undecided :(

·
Registered
21 Posts
thanks for the link.. does this warranty apply for leased vehicles? my dealership still keeps on insisting me to get the DiamondKote package for $775 plus tax which includes undercoating, rust proofing, permashine paint protection and leather protection. I did not confirm yet and told him to give my final decision after 5hrs..

I'm still undecided :(
The warranty applies to purchased and leased vehicles.

I would not pay $775 x 13% for rust protection.
Just get regular car washes and you should be okay.

If your really worried about rust I would just get krowned even though they will more then likely drill holes.

I just returned a 2008 civic on a lease and there was no visible rust anywhere on the vehicle. I am hoping that the Odyssey will be the same (if not better) .

Don't forget the vehicle panels usually get dipped in anti rust solution prior to being placed on the frame and painted. It should last you till the end of your lease without any issues.

The $900 your thinking of spending on rust protection could buy you some really really nice winter tires :p (jealous)

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
I seriously doubt that the few holes that they might have to drill will have any impact on the structure and integrity of the vehicle. Then again, I am no engineer. They spray the holes and cap them. I do not lose sleep over it. Krown works - period.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok ok.. based on the suggestions and comments, I will have to pass on the dealership rustproofing.. I hope Krown will not damage my new Ody by drilling holes.. I'm still afraid though..

Anyone brought their new Ody to Krown? How was it.. hope to get some feedbacks on the new Ody owners.. TIA!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ok ok.. based on the suggestions and comments, I will have to pass on the dealership rustproofing.. I hope Krown will not damage my new Ody by drilling holes.. I'm still afraid though..

Anyone brought their new Ody to Krown? How was it.. hope to get some feedbacks on the new Ody owners.. TIA!
I would talk to krown and ask them what the effect is to drilling holes ?
I doubt that the effect to the rigidity of the body would be substantial.

At the end of the day you will have a rust proof car and lots of $$$ in your wallet.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would talk to krown and ask them what the effect is to drilling holes ?
I doubt that the effect to the rigidity of the body would be substantial.

At the end of the day you will have a rust proof car and lots of $$$ in your wallet.
the only drawback with Krown is that its messy on your car and accumulate dusts on the doors and engine bay :(

and it does't perform like an undercoat which is also serve as sound deadening in the car..

·
Registered
82 Posts
Well. Shopping around for a newer used van I was fed with a story by a dealer. He said that Sienna starting from 2004 comes with galvanized (or anodized? whatever) body, which is basically stainless steel. If it's true then I think Honda wouldn't lose the competition, would they? If anybody have a verified source, please confirm or deny. Thank you.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts