Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Toyota has agreed to repair those sludged up motors. They say that all 4 cyl. and 6 cyl. cars which are damaged by sludge will be repaired at their cost, provided the owners can prove they changed their oil at least ONCE A YEAR. The company said that the sludge problems would not have come up if folks had changed their oil according to the recommendations in the service manual. If I remember correctly, they use a 7500/one year "normal" interval and a 5000/four month "severe" interval.

I do not understand why one manufacturer's engines would accumulate sludge faster than another's, unless their engines had some cooling issues which caused there to be critical hot spots which caused the oil to break down. Such happennings present a possible reason for the use of synthetic oils in modern, hot running engines.

The other thought I had on the subject is that, with the super quality reputation Toyota has built, many owners may feel that such "bulletproof" hardware doesn't need to be carefully maintained. I have personally known Toyota owners who "sometimes remembered to change their oil every year".

I will stick with the "severe service" intervals and know my motor will be happy!

·
Registered
58 Posts
What sludged up motors? Has there been some kind of epidemic? What engines/vehicals are affected? Wonder if Toyota will change their change intervals as the corrective action. A 1 year interval is quite long.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Toyota has not recommended a year interval, as far as I know. The problem seems to be one of engine design, where the cylinderheads run extremely hot and the oil is under a lot of extra stress. I guess their design is very prone to the problem (four and six cylinder engines, post model year 96) and owners can really cause the problem to be extreme by not following the service recommendations. Interestingly enough, I went to Google and entered "Toyota engine sludge" and one of the first articles I read used a photo of an engine which had a tremendous amount of very thick goop all over the rocker arm system. That motor was a FOUR CYLINDER HONDA powerplant! It can happen to any of them.......Using the "severe service" intervals, for most, will keep those motors clean.

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

1 - 3 of 3 Posts