Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I've always been an SUV driver so I am used to running OVER things, not avoiding them.

So now I have the 2011 Honda Odyssey and it is so LOW that I have to be very careful. Well I was backing up from a parking space, went up on the curb, and I broke a piece of the plastic on the undercarriage when I came down.

Now my question is...is this really bad? Do I need to get it replaced? Or is that why the plastic piece is under there...to protect the major stuff and I don't need to worry about it?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Can you post a picture of what you broke? Chances are it's a piece designed to improve the vehicle's aerodynamics (for fuel economy) and it won't harm the vehicle; although, you may notice a bit more wind noise and slightly worse fuel economy.

·
Registered
23 Posts
1) You aren't helping overcome woman driver stereotypes.
2) Regardless of what you drive, you should avoid driving over things.
3) You should consider getting a small car, for the sake of your car, and the rest of us.
4) If you've damaged your car, you should be getting it looked it, not guessed about on the internet, especially if you aren't going to post pictures or some additional information other than "piece of plastic on the undercarriage."

·
Registered
23 Posts
Oh, sorry, clearly she is helping overcome the stereotypes that society has placed on women.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Okay I've always been an SUV driver so I am used to running OVER things, not avoiding them.

So now I have the 2011 Honda Odyssey and it is so LOW that I have to be very careful. Well I was backing up from a parking space, went up on the curb, and I broke a piece of the plastic on the undercarriage when I came down.

Now my question is...is this really bad? Do I need to get it replaced? Or is that why the plastic piece is under there...to protect the major stuff and I don't need to worry about it?

Thanks for your help!
I doubt you messed it up. I beat on my 2006, took it off road and bottomed it out multiple times. Hit things underneath and unbelievably, only the plastic parts would suffer. It looked ugly underneath but the car was intact without major issues.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Which plastic are you referring to?

·
Registered
316 Posts
I agree, shouldn't be running over stuff just to do it. Just learn to maneuver your vehicle better. Learn the dimensions of your four corners and also being able to eyeball the turning radius so well that they just become second nature. Running over curbs, parking blocks, etc damages them. I'm sure you've seen damaged curbs before...

The plastics on the undercarriage are indeed mostly there to reduce the turbulent air underneath your vehicle. Not having one in place may cause a slight increase in fuel consumption, but only slightly. You may never notice it at the pump. However, I do understand having a brand new vehicle and having something broken on it. Best way, take it to the Honda dealer and have them check it out and replace the panel that's missing. Harder way, but if you're slightly mechanically (as in mechanical relationships - turn screws this way, not automotive mechanical work - as the crankarm turns, and the lobes lap by 0.02"...) inclined, you can find the parts online and do them yourself. A few of us up here would even be able to help you, if needed.

·
Registered
59 Posts
1) You aren't helping overcome woman driver stereotypes.
2) Regardless of what you drive, you should avoid driving over things.
3) You should consider getting a small car, for the sake of your car, and the rest of us.
4) If you've damaged your car, you should be getting it looked it, not guessed about on the internet, especially if you aren't going to post pictures or some additional information other than "piece of plastic on the undercarriage."
HAHAHA!!!! That's great. She is just a typical SUV owner.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts