Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In April my husband and I found a great deal on a 2011 Touring Elite that was a "Program Car" for a golf tournament and it was never used. The car was being sold as used but had never been titled to anyone and had 20 miles on it. I was still able to get the full Honda warranty on the van ....sounded prefect. My Father was very generous and bought the car for me so it is paid for.

Here is my worry. As I drove off the lot the "Tighten Fuel Cap" light came on. I read the manual and gave it couple of days, still stayed on. After driving the car for a week the TPMS light came on. After about 20 min the entire sensor came out ( with my kids in the car) of the tire and I got a flat in about 1.2 seconds. Thank goodness I was only going about 15 MPH or that could have been a deadly accident... the tire went flat so fast I would have been in big trouble.

I had the car towed to Honda and they fixed both issues... but as I drove off the lot the "Tighten Fuel Cap" back on again. I had all three kids with me so I gave up and took the car home. Last week the DVD player quit working, just reads " Bad Disk". The kids have never touched it so I know it's the car :( Then TPMS light comes back wen I am out of town so I take it into NTB and they check everything and tell me the tires are fine it must be the sensor. They "reset" it and the light went off for a day or so but is back on again now!!! My dash looks like a Christmas tree.

Honda will not give me a rental or a courtesy vehicle so I am finding it EXTREMELY hard to drag my three small kids back on forth to the dealer each week. So far this car has been in the shop more in 4 months than my 11 year old Toyota was in 5 years.

This is my very first Honda and after reading the forms I wonder if I have made a terrible mistake investing so much in this van. Looks like it has LOTS of issues and Honda can't really come up with a way to fix it. ? Please give me some hope that I didn't just toss 50 grand away.

·
Registered
400 Posts
In April my husband and I found a great deal on a 2011 Touring Elite that was a "Program Car" for a golf tournament and it was never used. The car was being sold as used but had never been titled to anyone and had 20 miles on it. I was still able to get the full Honda warranty on the van ....sounded prefect. My Father was very generous and bought the car for me so it is paid for.

Here is my worry. As I drove off the lot the "Tighten Fuel Cap" light came on. I read the manual and gave it couple of days, still stayed on. After driving the car for a week the TPMS light came on. After about 20 min the entire sensor came out ( with my kids in the car) of the tire and I got a flat in about 1.2 seconds. Thank goodness I was only going about 15 MPH or that could have been a deadly accident... the tire went flat so fast I would have been in big trouble.

I had the car towed to Honda and they fixed both issues... but as I drove off the lot the "Tighten Fuel Cap" back on again. I had all three kids with me so I gave up and took the car home. Last week the DVD player quit working, just reads " Bad Disk". The kids have never touched it so I know it's the car :( Then TPMS light comes back wen I am out of town so I take it into NTB and they check everything and tell me the tires are fine it must be the sensor. They "reset" it and the light went off for a day or so but is back on again now!!! My dash looks like a Christmas tree.

Honda will not give me a rental or a courtesy vehicle so I am finding it EXTREMELY hard to drag my three small kids back on forth to the dealer each week. So far this car has been in the shop more in 4 months than my 11 year old Toyota was in 5 years.

This is my very first Honda and after reading the forms I wonder if I have made a terrible mistake investing so much in this van. Looks like it has LOTS of issues and Honda can't really come up with a way to fix it. ? Please give me some hope that I didn't just toss 50 grand away.

don't fret. be positive. here's one of my fave quote here that always keep me up and hopeful!!
[COLOR=black said:
Quote:[/COLOR]
Originally Posted by EKON
2011 Honda Odyssey EXL w/RES*
Celestial Blue with Gray Interior
Houston, Tx

$34,190.00 - Vehicle Price
$810.00 - Destination Charge
$2187.50 - Sales Tax
$90.83 - Inventory Tax
$139.05 - TT&L, Inspection, Plate
$125.00 - Documentary Fee
-------------------
$37,542.38 OTD Price

How did I do?

I think you did great - you are now driving the best minivan on the planet!! .
see that last part. :DD

·
Registered
400 Posts
okay I was just messing around.

The only thing I'm not sure is that, did you go to your dealer to have the van serviced/fixed? Why in the world are they not giving you a rental car?

·
Registered
45 Posts
i have "Tighten Fuel Cap" came to me at one time, but it easy to reset it.
one day i have my car tan under the hot sun for a very long time, and the Tighten Fuel Cap message came on, all you have to do is open the fuel cap, just like when you are getting gas then tight back on, then restart you car the message should disappear.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Honda will not give me a rental.

It is not Honda that is not giving you a rental but it is the dealer. Different dealers have different programs.

Many people first log onto a forum when they have a problem much like yourself. As a result you will find a lot of problems posted here and that is true of any car forum. There is a ton of folks that never have a problem that never post on a car forum but those that do immediately seek help on the internet like you have.

It sounds like you just have a few small things to fix. Once they are you will enjoy your van.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess what concerns me most is that it doesn't appear Honda has a way to fix these things ( The TPMS light) The car is 4 months old and has had 4 issues already.

one day i have my car tan under the hot sun for a very long time, and the Tighten Fuel Cap message came on, all you have to do is open the fuel cap, just like when you are getting gas then tight back on, then restart you car the message should disappear.

Tried that and the dealer also tried to repair it ... still not fixed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Make sure you are collecting the service invoices stating what the dealer is doing.

There may be a problem with the rim itself by your description causing the sensor to come out.

When TPMS comes on, thats telling you the system is not working, not that the tire is low.

As for the gas cap - are you making sure you turn the cap to close it until it CLICKS after refueling?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I would let Honda know about what is going on with this dealer. These are small problems (small for the dealer, big for you) and should be taken care of the first time around.
I totally understand the hassle of bringing the whole crew to the dealer. I also have three small children and I have to load them all in my Chevy cruze when I have to drop the van off.
Once they get these issues resolved, you will be a very happy Ody owner.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Don't worry. They can fix these issues, just look at my green list in my signature. They fixed everything.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As for the gas cap - are you making sure you turn the cap to close it until it CLICKS after refueling?

Absolutely I have. My Dad has tried, my husband has tried, my neighbor has tried.... even Honda service "fixed" it but it turned back on as soon as I drove it off the lot. This started on 4-19 the night I bought the car and has never gone away.

·
Registered
27 Posts
YES you did.

lots of problems here....

1. Never let your parents buy a car for you. They will own you forever!

2. Never buy a "factory", "brass hat", "demo" car, that only means its been a test vehicle for whatever the factory wanted to do with it. Chances are, your Odyssey has been "gang-banged" by technicians learning from the vehicle. LOL

3. Sorry, Honda does not provide rentals or loaners, IT'S IN YOUR MANUAL!

4. Lastly, you grossly over paid for $50k and you got is a Used Odyssey with problems.

I hate to be harsh, but the truth will hurt. Good luck with that.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Don't worry. They can fix these issues, just look at my green list in my signature. They fixed everything.

- Dead Battery - Replaced Under Warranty
- Front Driver's Side Seat Back Squeak - Resolved Under Warranty
- Driver's Side Sliding Door Creak (TSB #06-003) - Resolved Under Warranty
- Fog Light Adjustment - Resolved Under Warranty
- Delay When Shifting from R to D (TSB #07-063) - Resolved Under Warranty
- Torque Converter Shutter (TSB #09-053) - Resolved Under Warranty

- Scratch on Rear Tailgate74891-SHJ-A91ZL & 74892-SHJ-A61ZL - Replaced Panels

- Passenger Side AC Vent Decal Missing - Resolved Under Warranty
- Driver's Side Window Auto Roll-up Issue - Resolved Under Warranty
- RES Headphones Not Working (TSB# 07-084) - Resolved Under Warranty
- Key FOB #1 Stopped Working - Resolved Under Warranty
- Brake Pedal Feels Soft (TSB# 07-045) - Resolved Under Warranty
- Driver's Side Center Row Seat Rattle - Resolved Under Warranty after 4th time
- Groaning Noise from Brakes When Hot (TSB #06-024) - Cannot reproduce with aftermarket wheels!
- Peeling paint on rear lift gate on the lip above the license plate 74892-SHJ-A61ZL Resolved Under Warranty
- Cracking leather on driver's seat bottom on the side facing the door. - Resolved Under Warranty
- Large glove compartment door does not close flush - Resolved Under Warranty
- PCM update - Resolved Under Warranty
- Scratch on B pillar garnish created when dealer replaced the front seat - Resolved Under Warranty
- Tailgate Gas Struts Failing - Resolved Under Warranty

- Gap on Dashboard around Airbag (TSB #09-017) - Pending after dealer replaced the airbag cover!
- Inner Door handle on Sliding Door Sticking in Open/Close position - Pending
Holy Odyssey problems Batman!

2011 Honda Odyssey Complaints, Problems & Defects Information | CarComplaints.com

:D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lots of problems here....

1. Never let your parents buy a car for you. They will own you forever!

2. Never buy a "factory", "brass hat", "demo" car, that only means its been a test vehicle for whatever the factory wanted to do with it. Chances are, your Odyssey has been "gang-banged" by technicians learning from the vehicle. LOL

3. Sorry, Honda does not provide rentals or loaners, IT'S IN YOUR MANUAL!

4. Lastly, you grossly over paid for $50k and you got is a Used Odyssey with problems.

I hate to be harsh, but the truth will hurt. Good luck with that.

Wow, well thank for that. :rollingeyes: Addling LOL after saying snarky things doesn't make you sound like less of an asshole BTW. ;) LOL..... see?

1. I thought this was a CAR forum... so no digs on my personal life. I didn't ask for advice on my relationship with my Father. Don't tell me YOU would have turned down a FREE TE?

2. Not everyone is a car buying expert. I did my research online and I figured if 80% of the parents at the school have a Honda van they must be doing something right. The salesman assured me this car was "exactly" like any other TE on the market and nothing odd was done to it. My fault for thinking he was not going to scam me and rob me blind. I figured Honda might be professional. I see it's your opinion they are not.

3. Yes I guess I didn't much thought into my brand new car being in the shop every week. Again... lack of planing on my part huh? Maybe I can get to that 4000 page manual now that I will have hours of free reading time sitting in the Honda service waiting room with my three toddlers. :rollingeyes:

4. My van was never "used" it still had all the plastic on every service, no other titled owner ever and 24 miles on it. My father also bought my sister a "new" Ford Flex the same day and it had 210 miles on it and all of the plastic protection removed. I did my homework and called every dealer in town, that was the best price for a fully loaded TE I found. We bought extra packages for interior damage, I'm sure that added to the price.

I hate to be harsh, but you are obnoxious and your comments were rude. I was looking for help, not a sarcastic put down. Good Luck with THAT! :nothappy:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Katcoy, next time you go to the dealer, tell them you feel your car is a Lemon. I'm not sure what the lemon laws are in GA but I'm sure if you keep taking a brand new car in for the same repairs XX times, the car manuf will either replace your vehicle or offer a full refund. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Holy Odyssey problems Batman!
:eek:mg:

+1, curiousgeorge2, Are you sure you are not missing anything? Or the signature height has a limit?

Allright, back on-topic:

Katcoy, relax, it is a forum after all and opinions are like belly buttons, everyone has one.

If the car had not been driven at all it you might just happen to have a brand new car with some of the bugs that 2011 owners have complained about in the past. Just some perform a good search (i.e. for TPMS or Fuel Cap), solutions should be there already (done by dealers)

Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - Search Forums (select 2011 + Odyssey else it will search allover the place)

A couple of notes:

• The tire going flat in 1.2 seconds was just bad luck unfortunately. It is not a common thing (at least from this forum)
  • Your dad is awesome :)
  • Find a better dealer. Which one is best? Just ask the 80% of the Odyssey parents at the daycare where they service their car and if they like it

·
Registered
117 Posts
Great advice from Bigboat. Best thing you can do is find a reputable dealer to do the service work and get it fixed properly.

I am still confused why you would pay retail for a program vehicle even if it looked "unused" but next time if you are paying for a new car get a new car not a like new car.

My advice is if you keep this one get the extended Honda Care warranty (not a warranty that someone tells you is "just like" or "better than" a Honda Care warranty). There are details on this forum of how to purchase it at a discounted price.

Best of luck getting your toddlers out of the waiting room,

JD

·
Registered
80 Posts
As I drove off the lot the "Tighten Fuel Cap" light came on. I read the manual and gave it couple of days, still stayed on. After driving the car for a week the TPMS light came on.
Katcoy,

I experienced that same problem on my Touring Elite the very same night I drove it off the lot. It took the dealership some time but they finally corrected it. It was a bad cannister. I took it 3 different times just for the tighten gas cap. They had to replace 3 parts. Of course, everyone and the service advisors said it "needed some time after you drove it" for the sensor to disappear. They all thought it was just tighten the gas cap and wait.

In my case, they gave me a honda loaner every single time. The dealership was very courteous but not knowledgeable at the time as I was the 1st to have these issues that came up so the techs were clueless.

This is my first Honda...and I too had to take in many times for warranty work. One thing after another...from low battery...to my XM not working...to tighten gas cap...to ac blowing cold when the AC is turned off...etc.

I guess everyone has had something go wrong, but when is it enough?

Anyways, hope everything gets corrected soon.

Cheers.

·
Banned
728 Posts
Wow, well thank for that. :rollingeyes: Addling LOL after saying snarky things doesn't make you sound like less of an asshole BTW. ;) LOL..... see?

1. I thought this was a CAR forum... so no digs on my personal life. I didn't ask for advice on my relationship with my Father. Don't tell me YOU would have turned down a FREE TE?

2. Not everyone is a car buying expert. I did my research online and I figured if 80% of the parents at the school have a Honda van they must be doing something right. The salesman assured me this car was "exactly" like any other TE on the market and nothing odd was done to it. My fault for thinking he was not going to scam me and rob me blind. I figured Honda might be professional. I see it's your opinion they are not.

3. Yes I guess I didn't much thought into my brand new car being in the shop every week. Again... lack of planing on my part huh? Maybe I can get to that 4000 page manual now that I will have hours of free reading time sitting in the Honda service waiting room with my three toddlers. :rollingeyes:

4. My van was never "used" it still had all the plastic on every service, no other titled owner ever and 24 miles on it. My father also bought my sister a "new" Ford Flex the same day and it had 210 miles on it and all of the plastic protection removed. I did my homework and called every dealer in town, that was the best price for a fully loaded TE I found. We bought extra packages for interior damage, I'm sure that added to the price.

I hate to be harsh, but you are obnoxious and your comments were rude. I was looking for help, not a sarcastic put down. Good Luck with THAT! :nothappy:
Firstly as others have posted, a competent dealer will be able to fix your problems. Cars are more complex today to meet consumer demands for technology as well as government safety and emissions regulations (fuel system, etc.).

Some of the problems you are having are common and easily fixed by the right dealer. Others are known issues (DVD disk issue) and there are recalls. Gremlins "in the machine" are sometimes hard to root out, but will get fixed.

If it is any comfort, most people (including those posting on this forum) have had very few problems with their 2011 Odysseys and fewer still have been unable to resolve issues.

I'm sure things will work out. We've had our EX-RES for 5 months now with no serious issues. there is a recall on the DVD system, but we haven't used it yet so I haven't made it a priority to get it "fixed".

Shazzam

PS Congratulations on your new gift. Some people have parent issues, others don't. Obviously you don't and the other poster does. Too bad for him, lucky for you. I never had such problems with my parents who were generous to a fault and with our good relationship, I never felt that there was a string attached to a gift.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Welcome to Odyclub.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am still confused why you would pay retail for a program vehicle even if it looked "unused" but next time if you are paying for a new car get a new car not a like new car.

My advice is if you keep this one get the extended Honda Care warranty

I called 10 dealers in my area and that was the best price I found.

I paid

45,991.00 cash price

+600 service charge
3261 in tax
600 for appearance protection coverage
1500 for the extended warranty

+ 800 in other fees I don't feel like typing out. HA!

I just called Honda and I have a 3 year, 36,000 mile Honda warranty and a 60000 mile full power train warranty. I also have an additional 6 year, 100000 mile warranty from another company. The service rep at Honda was very nice and is going to have a case manager call me in the next 48 hours.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts