Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,
Welp got a few road trips upcoming and of course our 2016 Odyssey started acting up. My better 2/3rds was on the road near the dealership so I said head over. After they did the diagnosis, it was the coil pack on #6. 117K and I was going to do the timing belt, etc soon, but they recommended it be done now.
I’m not a mechanic but I got tools. I was going to skip it but the guy said “Your tensioner is leaking oil”…I replied “Engine oil”, now don’t pick on me but I didn’t think the tensioner had anything to do with engine oil but again I’m no expert and haven’t really worked on cars since I was a kid. The timing belt full maintenance was $1750, and he quoted $550 for plugs + 1 coil pack. I’ve done plugs before and I consider the coil pack plug and play. While I considered that part of the quote, as I already told him it was ridiculously high, he called and said “We’ll, we could just do the 1 coil pack and 1 plug”, he’d said that had to be done for test drive after the timing belt service, which made sense. I’d told him well, I can do that in your parking lot in 5 minutes….but anyways, how much for just 1 coil pack and the one plug? He quoted me $400, or the $550 for all plugs plus 1 coil pack
The numbers: 1 coil pack $117 + 1 plug $20, so $137. That leaves $263 by my math. Now I’m not cheap but $263 for labor seems high, even in the USA…lol.
What am I missing if anything. I paid total w/tax $2,400.
To pay for the repair, I sold 3 quarters and 1 Penny on Ebay.
Azure Font Electric blue Brand Logo

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,861 Posts
Did you overpay? In a word - yes. But all's well that ends well so don't worry about it.

The timing belt tensioner is hydraulic, so the reference to leaking oil was talking about the tensioner which has its own little reservoir of oil inside it. And if it was leaking, you were on borrowed time - getting the timing belt and tensioner done was a good decision. It's usually the tensioner that gives out well before the timing belt itself, but either way the end result is the same - a one-way ticket to Bent Valves City which would have cost you at least double what you already paid.

If you had been able to do all this in a planned, controlled manner (rather than winding up at the dealership because trouble had already started) an indie shop could have done the timing belt service for probably a fair bit less. But like I said, it seems you came out of it OK in the end.

And I don't know what the h*ll was going on with that coil pack business. $263 labour to do a plug and coil on a cylinder that right at the front of the engine bay? That's not cool.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Did you overpay? In a word - yes. But all's well that ends well so don't worry about it.

The timing belt tensioner is hydraulic, so the reference to leaking oil was talking about the tensioner which has its own little reservoir of oil inside it. And if it was leaking, you were on borrowed time - getting the timing belt and tensioner done was a good decision. It's usually the tensioner that gives out well before the timing belt itself, but either way the end result is the same - a one-way ticket to Bent Valves City which would have cost you at least double what you already paid.

If you had been able to do all this in a planned, controlled manner (rather than winding up at the dealership because trouble had already started) an indie shop could have done the timing belt service for probably a fair bit less. But like I said, it seems you came out of it OK in the end.

And I don't know what the h*ll was going on with that coil pack business. $263 labour to do a plug and coil on a cylinder that right at the front of the engine bay? That's not cool.
I just did our belt.....I don't think the tensioner is hydraulic at all. I did not see any holes on the tensioner where pressurized oil would enter.
Just a casing and spring inside.

It was the Asin kit from RA.

So I don't know how the dealer could say the OP's was leaking oil.

And 400 for a plug and coil is quite high.
30 min at the absolute most to change plug.
Damn I did all 6 on our ody, in 30mins.

Reactions: kitol

·
Registered
580 Posts
It was on the front bank........that was highway robbery. Even going by the book should not be more than 20mins.
That's crazy.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
4,953 Posts
I just did our belt.....I don't think the tensioner is hydraulic at all. I did not see any holes on the tensioner where pressurized oil would enter.
Just a casing and spring inside.

It was the Asin kit from RA.

So I don't know how the dealer could say the OP's was leaking oil.

And 400 for a plug and coil is quite high.
30 min at the absolute most to change plug.
Damn I did all 6 on our ody, in 30mins.
The timing belt tensioner is absolutely hydraulic. This is not the only case of the tensioner leaking oil. It is one of the most common issues with the tensioner.

I think you are thinking the tensioner gets engine oil. It does not, it has its own oil.

·
Registered
580 Posts
The timing belt tensioner is absolutely hydraulic. This is not the only case of the tensioner leaking oil. It is one of the most common issues with the tensioner.

I think you are thinking the tensioner gets engine oil. It does not, it has its own oil.
Hydraulic engine parts use pressure from the engine oil system to create tension or pressure.
How do know there is fluid inside the tensioner?
This would be for dampening not pressure.
I suppose, both theories are correct.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
4,953 Posts
If there is no fluid inside the tensioner then what is leaking from the tensioner in the countless cases of leaking tensioners?

Reactions: 0dyfamily

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX-L; 2015 Durango Citadel (Hemi AWD)
355 Posts
Hydraulic engine parts use pressure from the engine oil system to create tension or pressure.

Right, the hydraulic fluid in the tensioner is for dampening, not for providing the pressure to hold the belt in place.

·
Registered
205 Posts
The OP’er reveals why so many honda owners avoid the dealer like the Plague. The costs on simple things are legal robbery. Only time I’ve brought my 2014 to dealer was for transm software update….and was no charge, big surprise (may have been still under warranty). Timing belt change went to independent, only slightly cheaper than dealer here in SoCal ;-(.

Its sad that Ody owners like single mothers with perhaps lesser financial means and mechanical skill are likely the most common owners taken advantage of by dealers.

DanaH

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
2,831 Posts
There are plenty of hydraulic parts on a car that don't use engine oil... (shocks, engine mounts, power steering systems, etc.). Hydraulic just means a fluid is doing the work. That's it.

-Charlie

·
Premium Member
8,580 Posts
... How do know there is fluid inside the tensioner? ...
I just replaced one that leaked what I would consider some type of oil .... a lot. J35Z2 V6 engine.

There are hydraulic oils that have some degree of compressibility, and these are used in certain types of liquid spring systems.

The next time I replace a tensioner, I'll don the appropriate PPE and perform a post mortem with a suitable set of internal lockring pliers and a BAV (big azz vise).

OF

·
Registered
580 Posts
Thanks - y'all.
Honestly - Had no idea there was fluid in there.

Too bad it does not last longer - - - my belt looked pristine at 90k miles.
All other components, water pump, idler pullies, all spun freely with no grab or grinding at all.

That tensioner seems to be a weak link/leaking in an otherwise good system.

·
Premium Member
8,580 Posts
Man, @white2015 , I wish they lasted longer, too! :cry::cry::cry:

The one I replaced not-too-long-ago had just over 70,000 miles of use since new. Hated to replace that great-looking timing belt, but I thought "as long as I'm in there, I'll just 'zero time' everything that's under that cover..." except the water pump. Those things run for-ev-er. So, next TB change on that vehicle at the 175,000-mile point.

That tensioner seems to be a weak link/leaking in an otherwise good system.
Yes, as I have sadly found out, too!

Given all the press I see on this forum, and the Accord forums, about this tensioner, I'm going to do a post-mortem the next time mainly out of morbid curiosity. I want to know what that thing looks like on the inside.
Jaw Beard Font Darkness Event

OF

·
Registered
77 Posts
No offense to any dealers on here but the last time I took my odyssey to the dealer was for a recall. Child’s seat I believe. Anyway, they called me and said my PS pump was leaking and needed to be replaced. They then proceeded to tell me it was $1000. I said no and picked up the car. I inspecTed the pump and there was some old looking fluid around it. Nothin looked like it was leaking. That was 3 years ago and no drips or fluid loss and still going strong.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Hi folks,
Welp got a few road trips upcoming and of course our 2016 Odyssey started acting up. My better 2/3rds was on the road near the dealership so I said head over. After they did the diagnosis, it was the coil pack on #6. 117K and I was going to do the timing belt, etc soon, but they recommended it be done now.
I’m not a mechanic but I got tools. I was going to skip it but the guy said “Your tensioner is leaking oil”…I replied “Engine oil”, now don’t pick on me but I didn’t think the tensioner had anything to do with engine oil but again I’m no expert and haven’t really worked on cars since I was a kid. The timing belt full maintenance was $1750, and he quoted $550 for plugs + 1 coil pack. I’ve done plugs before and I consider the coil pack plug and play. While I considered that part of the quote, as I already told him it was ridiculously high, he called and said “We’ll, we could just do the 1 coil pack and 1 plug”, he’d said that had to be done for test drive after the timing belt service, which made sense. I’d told him well, I can do that in your parking lot in 5 minutes….but anyways, how much for just 1 coil pack and the one plug? He quoted me $400, or the $550 for all plugs plus 1 coil pack
The numbers: 1 coil pack $117 + 1 plug $20, so $137. That leaves $263 by my math. Now I’m not cheap but $263 for labor seems high, even in the USA…lol.
What am I missing if anything. I paid total w/tax $2,400.
To pay for the repair, I sold 3 quarters and 1 Penny on Ebay.
View attachment 168828
Without specifics on the TB, it's hard to say if you overpaid for that. Based on my limited experience, 1 car, the tensioner is the weak point of the system. Last winter that is what went bad on my car. Yes, the tensioner has oil in it, but it is not engine oil. Think of it like s shock absorber that also has oil in it. You usually get warning of impending failure, you can hear the belt slapping against the cover when the car is cold.

But you got reamed on the plugs. But the numbers for the plugs and one coil don't add up. $263 for labor on a single plug is beyond ridiculous. Cylinder 6 is in front, so very easy to get to. A slow mechanic chatting with his buddies will do that in under 15 minutes. If it was me, I would call the service manager and have him explain that math to me.

Reactions: skelsall
1 - 19 of 19 Posts