Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Did you overpay? In a word - yes. But all's well that ends well so don't worry about it.

The timing belt tensioner is hydraulic, so the reference to leaking oil was talking about the tensioner which has its own little reservoir of oil inside it. And if it was leaking, you were on borrowed time - getting the timing belt and tensioner done was a good decision. It's usually the tensioner that gives out well before the timing belt itself, but either way the end result is the same - a one-way ticket to Bent Valves City which would have cost you at least double what you already paid.

If you had been able to do all this in a planned, controlled manner (rather than winding up at the dealership because trouble had already started) an indie shop could have done the timing belt service for probably a fair bit less. But like I said, it seems you came out of it OK in the end.

And I don't know what the h*ll was going on with that coil pack business. $263 labour to do a plug and coil on a cylinder that right at the front of the engine bay? That's not cool.
I just did our belt.....I don't think the tensioner is hydraulic at all. I did not see any holes on the tensioner where pressurized oil would enter.
Just a casing and spring inside.

It was the Asin kit from RA.

So I don't know how the dealer could say the OP's was leaking oil.

And 400 for a plug and coil is quite high.
30 min at the absolute most to change plug.
Damn I did all 6 on our ody, in 30mins.

Reactions: kitol

·
Registered
580 Posts
It was on the front bank........that was highway robbery. Even going by the book should not be more than 20mins.
That's crazy.

Reactions: kitol

·
Registered
580 Posts
The timing belt tensioner is absolutely hydraulic. This is not the only case of the tensioner leaking oil. It is one of the most common issues with the tensioner.

I think you are thinking the tensioner gets engine oil. It does not, it has its own oil.
Hydraulic engine parts use pressure from the engine oil system to create tension or pressure.
How do know there is fluid inside the tensioner?
This would be for dampening not pressure.
I suppose, both theories are correct.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Thanks - y'all.
Honestly - Had no idea there was fluid in there.

Too bad it does not last longer - - - my belt looked pristine at 90k miles.
All other components, water pump, idler pullies, all spun freely with no grab or grinding at all.

That tensioner seems to be a weak link/leaking in an otherwise good system.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts