Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a recent family road trip home (~2hrs long), we made good use of our 13" TV/VCR combo and power inverter. The trip home was uneventful..but the next morning, the Ody (1 mth old OEM battery) was dead!! Not a single flicker of a dash/dome light nor a click of the starter! I had to jump start it the next day, and fortunately all was well after that. We haven't used the inverter since, and am worried that the same thing will happen again, but this time leave us stranded at some god awful wayside restaurant. It appears that the battey was not recharging as the inverter sucked juice away. Do I have to turn off the inverter about 1/2 hr from home so that the battery can recharge itself? That sounds odd though. Any ideas or suggestions??

------------------
Grant
'02 SS Ody Ex
'92 Prelude Si

·
Registered
368 Posts
I recently purchased an inverter and have used it without any problems. Most inverters I have seen recently have an auto shut off feature that turns the inverter off when the battery voltage reaches a low level so as to not completely drain the battery and leave you stranded.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Grantbo said:
Do I have to turn off the inverter about 1/2 hr from home so that the battery can recharge itself? That sounds odd though. Any ideas or suggestions??
That should not happen. Unless you have an alternator problem, your system should charge fine even with accessory usage (i.e.- inverter).
Did you leave any of your interior lights on? That is the most common reason for battery discharges like this.... It's happened to me, and lots of other folks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts